Menu
Normylad
Just joined
Message 1 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media Installation Contractors

We currently have a 'Gang' of Virgin Media contractors ripping up our once beautiful little Cul de sac. Our street is a small, modern, cul de sac of 21 houses, over the last three days Virgin Media contractors have ripped up the roads and pavements of our little estate. We had NO advanced warning that they were to do this work so you can imagine the disruption caused to car parking, access to driveways and general pedestrian use of a Cul de sac with only one road in and out. These same contractors appeared last October but it turned out that they had no paperwork or permission to carry out the work and a council inspector came and ‘kicked’ them off site. But now they are back....with a vengeance. In two days they managed to damage the gas supply to one neighbour and the electricity supply to another.....not bad for a street with only 21 houses...what next ? one wonders. The mess they have created is unbelievable, it's like a battlefield. It wouldn't be so bad if they were installing something vitally important like Gas, Water of Power.....but Cable TV for goodness sake !! When did we come to a point that a media company could cause so much damage, mess, filth, disruption and stress with TOTAL impunity....it is a disgrace. My question is Who is going to clean up once the work is done (i.e. Pavement/road hosed and swept), I somehow doubt that this bunch of clowns will be doing it. I hope Virgin Media are going to offer an earth-shattering deal to the people on this street after this nightmare is over because at the moment we would touch your products with a barge pole...I know of at least two people who are considering legal action and work hasn't finished yet. A copy of our complaints has gone to the local council and one of my neighbours is currently contacting regional press.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Re: Virgin Media Installation Contractors

hard to comment. Post some photos of the area/mess please
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 56
Flag for a moderator

Deja-vu. Takes me right back to the 1990's when all the original cable builds were going in. We got little or no warning then, so what's changed. There is a lot of mess for a few weeks, & a bit more street furniture, & yes, a few mishaps with the other services which you get with any big retrofit utility build. But in general, streets were restored to a reasonable state afterword.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 4 of 56
Flag for a moderator

I shouldn't generalise really but it does seem from my recent observations that the sub-contractors VM uses to carry out installations would be better suited to manually ploughing fields!

Thankfully our development was one of the first in the country to be cabled back in the days of Nynex.  They were brilliant.  Of course there was unavoidable disruption as they had to dig trenches down a very long drive, then around the sides and back of our block of 30+ flats including digging up lawns.  They did a superb job of reinstating everything and the drive was left in better condition than they found it much to our delight LOL.

I doubt you'd get that level of service from the cowboys they employ nowadays.

Good luck with the claims OP but I doubt the council will put their corporate hand up as they simply issue a licence to dig up the highway as with any other service installation.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
planecrazy
Dialled in
Message 5 of 56
Flag for a moderator

I would think some of your neighbours in the 21 houses are very pleased the they are going to be cabled up. This forum is full of people wishing that this would happen to them. Yes the mess is fairly traumatic, you can't really dig trenches without the whole place looking like the Somme. Hopefully this should be a short term inconvenience and things will get back to normal. For Virgin Media to do this work it, would require a substantial number of the residences to have expressed an interest in cable broadband to make it cost effective.
0 Kudos
jules0971
Joining in
Message 6 of 56
Flag for a moderator

1530hrs Wednesday 20/01/161530hrs Wednesday 20/01/161530hrs Wednesday 20/01/161530hrs Wednesday 20/01/16

I suspect you live in the same street as me as you have described perfectly the scene I saw when I went outside the house in daylight yesterday. (Photos attached).

I tweeted these photos to @virginmedia and was sent their generic complaints leaflet by return.Having finally managed to get though to a real person in a call centre via the 0345 454 1111 customer service number (or whatever it is), the man gave his name as Mohamed but could not comprehend that I did not need the technician he had just ordered for me as I did not already have cabling laid. He did not understand that my complaint was with contractors laying cables and digging up my street. He eventually said he would pass my complaint to his manager, which I suspect will get absolutely nothing done with as it is off their 'flowchart' of problems and solutions. Presumably they outsource the complaints to a far flung call centre so that they are too complicated to be understood so never get dealt with properly.

Why on earth I would want to take a service from a company that even treats prospective customers so shoddily is beyond me.

My husband is going to go off his rocker when he gets home and sees this!

If you recognise the images above and do live in my street do you still have the initial letter from last year advising us of works as it had a number on there to contact the contractors or ask questions about the installation? We don't have it anymore I don't think.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 56
Flag for a moderator

that doesn't look any worse then most contract works for any services. its only abit of dirt that teh rain will wash aware.

Also not your street councils street Smiley Wink and they want cable laid. Until they have finished the work and all left you do know what they will leave it like so you need to wait. and then let the great british weather do some cleaning up
Dave606
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 56
Flag for a moderator

In all honesty you can't expect them to tidy and make as new until the work has been completed, but can fully understand the access disturbance all the same if not pre informed to sort out access issues.  My guess is after recent non Virgin service work in our street similar to as described, they (either Virgin or local council) may send in a second team to clean the street with a commercial street cleaner to make as good as new as reasonably possible.

I assume they will have had to get permission from the council highways department to dig up the street to lay cable.  In which case it might also  be worth trying to contact the council with your concerns (I know I would in such a position), finding out which department dealt with the works request and speaking to them to find out who is responsible for making the work as good as new once completed and ask for a council inspector to visit the works to ensure this is done and done correctly.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 56
Flag for a moderator

it also looks like they might of just added a temp filling to the ducts to allow access to the drives. hard to tell but they might not of even tarmaced it yet they might of jsut filled it and got out the way of the drives so they can be used.
0 Kudos
RLP
Joining in
Message 10 of 56
Flag for a moderator

I think we live on the same street! In repose to some of the more unhelpful comments on this thread, it's not that we do/ do not want virgin, it's the lack of warning. It really has been so disruptive; we have a baby, it's been so loud in our house that it's woken her or kept her from sleeping, when we left the house yesterday she became vey upset at the loud noise. We could quite easily have made some alternative plans or just been ready for disruption had virgin bothered to flyer our houses and let us know. I couldn't get off my drive yesterday! I too have looked into complaining directly to virgin, not necessarily for anything but to encourage them to let people know before hand
0 Kudos