Menu
jpchalmers06
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media Disconnect Fee Outrage

I recently moved, i had 24 hours notice and 24 hours to move in to a new home with my two month old son (council house). I called Virgin Media to transfer my broadband (fiber optic) to my new address. Virgin Media refused because they do not supply in my new area. So I had an engineer sent out from Virgin Media who notified me that Virgin Media could cable my street but would not if it wasn't profitable enough for them. Virgin Media are charging me £180> disconnect fee as a result of Virgin Media CHOOSING not to cable my new area. Somehow I am liable according to Virgin Media. I cannot find anywhere in the contract that states I am liable for moving home, for moving into an area not cabled, for cancelling my contract when Virgin Media cannot supply or are choosing not too (according to their own engineer) the service I am paying for.

Has anyone else experienced this?

The contract also states that if Virgin Media is only not liable if it is not possible to provide the service which they're own staff have confirmed is possible.

I am disgusted at the flat, rude reception I received from staff over the phone, I have been told they cannot help unless the account holder dies, that despite the contract being unspecific i am still liable, and that they EXPECT me to have remained at my previous address (which I explained when I went to the store to being the contract - was temporary accommodation). 

If anyone has experienced such problems, such poor customer service, or problems with the contract stating nothing about liability of this charge please let me know. I have contacted trading standards but would appreciate any further information or anyone who has had similar problems as this will help contribute to the information I can provide Trading Standards. Thank you

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin Media Disconnect Fee Outrage

Without sounding churlish- I empathise with your situation- as its in your TOS so there's nothing trading standards can do.

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services.html#m...

Specifically paragraph N

You MAY have better luck engaging with them, explaining the circumstances, and asking for them to waive the charges.

DO NOT talk to offshore support.

0345 454 1111 , option 4,5 (Thinking of leaving us) during UK office hours will land you with UK onshore support. Technically its retention's but they do much more than that.

All Replies
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Please do not keep making multiple identical posts, it will only slow up a response. 

Also a reminder of the Forum Guidelines

The Don'ts

• Please don't post the same message in more than one place.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Without sounding churlish- I empathise with your situation- as its in your TOS so there's nothing trading standards can do.

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services.html#m...

Specifically paragraph N

You MAY have better luck engaging with them, explaining the circumstances, and asking for them to waive the charges.

DO NOT talk to offshore support.

0345 454 1111 , option 4,5 (Thinking of leaving us) during UK office hours will land you with UK onshore support. Technically its retention's but they do much more than that.

jpchalmers06
Tuning in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I was seeking support across topics, without sounding petty there are minor differences in the messages so i haven't exactly spammed across pages. simply trying to seek a wider audience to find any useful responses as Virgin Media customer services and staff have been extremely unhelpful and somewhat rude over the phone.

0 Kudos
jpchalmers06
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you I will do this. Trading Standards through citizens advise said there is some warrant to us not being at fault so we are also persuading that alternative route.

0 Kudos
jpchalmers06
Tuning in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Section N states that if we move to a non-service area M9 applies - M9 simply states we have the right to cancel, it does not specify that we are therefore liable for that inability to provide service or liable as a result of those circumstances. Section 2 states we will be liable for the charge if we move home - however this is not what virgin media staff told us as we notified them before purchase that we were moving, so i feel we have been sold this product under false pretences as they informed us it would not apply to us. Also we did not wish to end our contract, virgin did because they could not provide service, section M10 states if we end the agreement we are liable but virgin have ended/ forced the end of the contract, we did not opt for the termination.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

When you took the contract you agreed to the minimum term. Virgin do wave the cancellation fee if you take services at the new address but as you can not do this you have the contract you agreed to.

The services for the minimum term at the current address. VM did not lie when they said you could take services with you as in the contract subject to coverage. as you are moving to a non cable area you will be charged the disconnection fee for cancelling the contract at the address it was taken out.

Sorry if this sounds rude or not what you wanted but VM have costs attached to installs and must make it back over the whole contract. If you cancel they have to make the money back. Its all in the terms.
0 Kudos
jpchalmers06
Tuning in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I can understand that Virgin Media needs to compensate itself for the contract and shortfall however in the contract it states Virgin Media is not liable for not being able to provide a service if it cannot provide said service, We had an engineer come out from Virgin Media who said our street can be cable but that Virgin Media are choosing not to cable it currently because its not currently profitable enough for them. Considering that Virgin Media's own staff admit that Virgin Media are responsible for the loss of service and not our moving into an uncable-able location it seems very unjust to receive a disconnection fee. Also when I called up to disconnect Virgin Media staff informed me that the contract had already been cancelled which we at the time had not given Virgin Media permission for - which is a technicality but still a valid one since were liable under the agreement that WE cancel our contract which was never the case.

Virgin Media staff were not rude in the sense that they were not entirely helpful, they were rude in that they were blunt, short, and tried to get me off the phone as quickly as possible whilst ignoring any of my complaints or questions about the complete ambiguity of the contract.

No where in the contract does it states that if our area can be cabled by Virgin Media and Virgin Media choose not to cable the area, we are liable for not receiving a service we would otherwise still have, or that if Virgin Media cancelled our contract at our old address we would be liable for the cancellation fee.