Menu
Highlighted
pehod
Tuning in
Message 1 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Media Customer Retention experience

Just posting my experience with the retentions department yesterday. 

Some background - Virgin Media Customer for 10+ years, for just cable tv package (TV XL I believe)  with additional Sky Movies 1 + 2. This totals £60+ per month (plus on demand movies), without phone or broadband internet. For business reasons I have had BT Broadband for the same time, costing around the same amount.   

I decided finally that it's time to merge broadband and TV services and save some money at the same time, so I did some brief research on BT Broadband offers and called VM to say I was thinking about leaving VM for BT broadband, expecting to be told why this would be a bad idea and how much VM would like to help me with my phone, broadband and TV services.  That's not quite what happened...  

VM rep looked at my account and explained the process for returning the VM box (bear in mind this is 10 years old)  and then asked if I wanted to close the account. I was so non-plussed by the apparent lack of interest in my business (I'd read on the VM website that they would try to persuade me to stay)  that I said Ok.  He said Ok account closed (or words to that effect). 

Doing the simplest sum £60 x12months x 10 years means that I've spent  £7,200  with VM over the last ten years - not much I suppose, but it must have paid someone's coffee bill - and I was quite happy to continue to spend more with them (incidentally the family has three Virgin mobile phone contracts as well).  

So account closed within 3 minutes of talking to an agent.  At first I was simply surprised, but now I'm a little more irritated,  and the Virgin Brand is considerably less shiny in my mind.  Lesson learned.  

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 38
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Virgin Media Customer Retention experience

Hi pehod

Thanks for dropping by with your post about the cancellation process.

I am sorry to hear that your experience has not been one you were happy with, and that no offers were made available to you as options Smiley Sad

I’ve fed this back and we are going to arrange to get someone from retentions to look into this for you and for them to arrange a call back for you.

Just to clarify too, retentions are our cancellations team, and occasionally people do get slightly confused about that.

I'll keep you posted on this if I hear back from the teams today, or if you get a call before they message me, if you could let me know how this goes for you?

Thanks again for your feedback on this.

Kind regards.

Karen_A

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 38
Flag for a moderator

I never really get what this sort of post is about. They dealt with your cancellation quickly and efficiently. Kit needs returned as its VM's property, not yours.  Would you prefer they argued with you and told you you could not cancel? 

Assuming you were paying the "going rate" as defined by VM, there was not any room to offer you a better deal, so at that point its better to just terminate the account.  Loyalty to the customer is a fallacy. Loyalty to profitable customers (i.e mugs) IS a thing.  Take comfort in the fact they aint been mugging you off and would prefer to lose your business than offer you a discount.

Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 3 of 38
Flag for a moderator

You might yet still get a phone call from retentions offering you a deal.

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
Upton
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 38
Flag for a moderator

I have used Virgin many times, flights, insurance and phone. I remember the old Days when Richard Branson would travel on a flight to check his customer satisfaction and clearly people liked the fact he appeared down to earth. Those days are gone, look on many web sites you will see customer services are poor, and they do not care about individual experiences anymore. It's not the company they were.

cybmole
Community elder
Message 5 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Kippies wrote:

Assuming you were paying the "going rate" as defined by VM, there was not any room to offer you a better deal, so at that point its better to just terminate the account.  Loyalty to the customer is a fallacy. Loyalty to profitable customers (i.e mugs) IS a thing.  Take comfort in the fact they aint been mugging you off and would prefer to lose your business than offer you a discount.

and in this specific instance, about 50% of that calculated £7,200 over 10 yeas has been passed through to sky for the premium TV channels - VM makes next to nothing on those sky products

0 Kudos
Dave_cq
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Upton wrote:

I have used Virgin many times, flights, insurance and phone. I remember the old Days when Richard Branson would travel on a flight to check his customer satisfaction and clearly people liked the fact he appeared down to earth. Those days are gone, look on many web sites you will see customer services are poor, and they do not care about individual experiences anymore. It's not the company they were.

Well of course Richard Branson doesn't own it any more, it was all sold off long ago to Liberty Global who simply keep the use of the Virgin name on a long licence. 

********* SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - Vivid 100Mbps **********

Electron
0 Kudos
pehod
Tuning in
Message 7 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Hope so. Nothing yet.  ;-)  

0 Kudos
pehod
Tuning in
Message 8 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Ok. Thanks for the opinion, always valuable to hear other points of view.  Just to clarify a few points -  

- I called their customer "retention" department - not their cancellation department

- I said that ... "I was *thinking about leaving* VM for BT " not that I had decided to leave.  

- I agree completely that the kit is theirs and should be returned - just surprised that this was apparently top of the priorities given points 1 and 2. 

- the rate I've been paying for just TV service is the same as the current rate for full broadband, weekend phone and TV service - so my contract was not exactly the best (or even standard) deal available - particularly since I am looking to get a deal on all three. Seems to me that I was a  profitable customer, but maybe not.  

-  Retaining customers in a highly competitive market is good business, not least since new customer acquisition is so expensive - just think of all those referral payments and new customer deals they offer. That's also why they have a Customer Retention department, or so I thought.

;-)

pehod
Tuning in
Message 9 of 38
Flag for a moderator

@Kippies. Good point. According to my monthly invoice, it's around 30% going to Sky.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 38
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi pehod

Thanks for dropping by with your post about the cancellation process.

I am sorry to hear that your experience has not been one you were happy with, and that no offers were made available to you as options Smiley Sad

I’ve fed this back and we are going to arrange to get someone from retentions to look into this for you and for them to arrange a call back for you.

Just to clarify too, retentions are our cancellations team, and occasionally people do get slightly confused about that.

I'll keep you posted on this if I hear back from the teams today, or if you get a call before they message me, if you could let me know how this goes for you?

Thanks again for your feedback on this.

Kind regards.

Karen_A

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"