Menu
soul1
Fibre optic
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

VM Line Rental and Price Hikes

Hi everyone, phoned to renew my line rental saver and the price has gone from initially being 144.00 pounds to now being 196.00 pounds. Having done a bit of research on the Web, I have now discovered that VM 's line rental is the most expensive out of the major broadband and telephone providers. My question is why is the line rental price going constantly up and are customers getting a fair deal. Also VM seem to now have a few price hikes through the year. Therefore VM is getting more and more expensive. Spoke to Customer Relations with regards to this and was told there have been many complaints with regards to VM's 2016 price hikes, especially line rental. Perhaps now it's time for the regulator to look into this to see whether VM and other providers are being fair. Just my opinion Smiley Happy

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

Started with Bell Cablemedia in the early 90's and now with Virgin Media. How time flies...
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: VM Line Rental & Price Hikes

Ofcom has no regulatory role in setting ISP prices. The market is competitive and you have a choice. If VM has become too expensive for you you might be able to negotiate a deal on the main package or you may think it wise to go elsewhere. If VM looks expensive bear in mind that their infrastructure is expensive to maintain and that customers are helping to finance a substantial expansion too. Some of VM's increases in mid-year are down to the fact that Sky raised its wholesale prices which VM passed on to its customers (as you might expect).

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

HowardML wrote:

Ofcom has no regulatory role in setting ISP prices. The market is competitive and you have a choice. If VM has become too expensive for you you might be able to negotiate a deal on the main package or you may think it wise to go elsewhere. If VM looks expensive bear in mind that their infrastructure is expensive to maintain and that customers are helping to finance a substantial expansion too. Some of VM's increases in mid-year are down to the fact that Sky raised its wholesale prices which VM passed on to its customers (as you might expect).

Exactly, current customers are being used to finance new infrastructure which will be used to generate new customers and additional profit to VM, with no benefits to the current customer base.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
soul1
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi, thanks for both of your replies. Having been a loyal VM customer since day one, I now realise that this makes no difference to them. I don't want to be paying for the new infrastructure so that new VM customers can benefit and get the best deals. I mean what is the point of that. Will now be looking to move to another provider when the next price hike is announced. Really don't want to move as the broadband is great, the forum community is great and I also enjoy being part of the trials. However I am not made of money and the constant price hikes are now really bothering me. I have already moved to Sky for the TV as yet again the price hikes were getting to be too much. Looks like I will be doing the same for the broadband. I'm sure there will be many customers who share a similar view.
Started with Bell Cablemedia in the early 90's and now with Virgin Media. How time flies...
0 Kudos
harmonyinfo
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If I cancel all my Virgin Media services, how long do I need to wait until I can rejoin VM as a new customer to get the advantage of the reduced long term pricing for new customers?

I have been a customer of VM for many years. I contacted today to ask about getting the new Full House package. It is advertised to new customers as £55/month for the first 12 months and then £80/month from then on. But the best VM could offer me is £98+/month. No thank you!

I can understand a bit about not getting the first 12 months discount, but why should new customers get an ongoing reduction of £18/month after the first 12 months that is subsidized by existing loyal customers? Of course VM could perhaps just raise the price to £98 for those new customers after 12 months, but that would be bait and switch.

denbo007
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have thought about this myself. What about cancel the contract in your name and then get a member of your family to sign up as a new customer. Or is the contract with House or householder? Perhaps we should ALL cancel, and stop the price rocketing and bring them back to Earth?

soul1
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

denbo007 wrote:

I have thought about this myself. What about cancel the contract in your name and then get a member of your family to sign up as a new customer. Or is the contract with House or householder? Perhaps we should ALL cancel, and stop the price rocketing and bring them back to Earth?

Totally agree with you there Smiley Happy