Menu
Catherine88
Dialled in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The 'new customer' phenomenon

Aye, we know this has been going on forever and a day, but seriously there comes a time when enough is enough.  Having been a customer through the transitions of time from 23rd July 1993 (United Artists) we've ended up considering other options.  We've been on all sorts of packages over time and although we don't pay for the top packages anymore, we can't even get a decent deal through 'retentions' anymore.   There's no interest to even try from the call-handlers, you're just one of millions of 'yawns' they must speak to each day.

So, off we went, and after much searching, reviewing etc. settled on purchasing a Humax Freeview Play FVP-4000T PVR, 3 tuners to record up to 4 programmes simultaneously whilst watching a 5th.  So yeah, it's not quite TiVo, but ours runs like a bag of spanners and despite a 'dodgy/reconditioned' replacement a few weeks ago, removed

The Humax, well, it runs like a dream, so a call soon to cancel TV and get rid of a damn phone we haven't used for 5 years feels like a big step forward to saving some money.  Broadband is our most valuable service, so that will stay.  

Now feeling happier and a bit more cash in the pocket.  Ka-ching

[MOD EDIT: Inappropriate language removed, please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
vircom
Well-informed
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: The 'new customer' phenomenon

Virgin Media are in business to make money, as much as possible. They have lots of data on how many customers are leaving and joining, which they can analyse for trends and sensitivity to price etc. Concepts like fairness and loyalty do not apply except as marketing strategies. Deals on offer can vary from day to day.

This is the same for all the other providers, so it is up to every individual to decide what best suits them and be prepared to move around as necessary. Equally, if the bother of changing is not worth the saving then people can stay.

But by all means have a good rant about the unfairness, just don't expect VM to take any notice.
0 Kudos
Catherine88
Dialled in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes, you're right, VM used to take notice, now they don't. I have no expectations in them doing so. What I did want to highlight is that the freesat/freeview boxes are getting more advanced, therefore giving you the options that we didn't have before. We will lose out on things like BT, but it's worth the saving.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

...but Freeview and Freesat do not have access to the pay TV channels.

If you are happy with the choice of channels on these platforms then Virgin Media or Sky is simply not for you.

0 Kudos
Catherine88
Dialled in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

We thought beyond that as soon as we added Now TV and Amazon Prime - no contracts; ideal.  There are periods where we just don't watch what we're paying for on a monthly basis, so Now TV fills that purpose where we can take it or leave it. 

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hey Catherine88

I appreciate you letting us know about the feedback you have for the TiVo® services you have had from us recently and I am sorry to hear this has not been the best experience for you Smiley Sad

As you have already arranged a replacement TV option for yourself I understand that you will be looking to contact our teams to arrange to tailor the services you have with us in order to take this into consideration.

It's also worth remembering that your service guarantee covers equipment we provide for the main services for life, and whilst it's great to have sourced an alternative you are happy with, that would also come with a standard manufacturer’s guarantee, while we do provide free servicing and repairs/replacements. I know you have mentioned the replacement TiVo you have had is not providing the service you were expecting and this is something we can definitely take a look into for you if you would like us to?

It's always worth reviewing your services anyway on a regular basis as a long term customer so please drop the teams a call via 150 or 0345 454 1111 where they can look at supporting you with the new options we need to tailor for you given your most recent needs as a customer Smiley Happy

Let us know how the call goes.

Karen_A

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Catherine88
Dialled in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I appreciate your reply Karen, but in all honesty, having had cable services since 23rd July 1993 I'm fully aware of how to get deals and services from yourselves and previous companies.  I had already been in touch with VM about a better price and deal as we are out of contract at the moment.  I've had numerous 'deals' as an existing customer with you and Blueyonder, Cableinet etc.  The last good one was the Kahuna Bundle.  But it seems things have changed more for existing customers as these deals are less and less of a focus for VM and corporate businesses.  This is far from unique to VM, everyone does it.  Us existing customers fund your ability to be able to offer new customers those deals.   All I was offered was a paltry £10 saving. Your current 'Full House Bundle' offered to new customers at £55 is £20 cheaper than what we're currently paying.  Even the player bundle for new customers is £32, the only difference in services between that package and our is the the 100mb broadband, the rest is the same and yet we're paying £43 more. 

There is no such thing as 'tailoring', you have your bundles, end of story, there's nothing to tailor unless you're going 'bigger' with added Sky etc. 

VM could actually choose to do things differently from other companies and set an example of rewarding existing customers for their loyalty, but instead you choose to stick with what everyone else does.  Unfortunately, this is the how things have evolved, so it's just the way it is.  We, meanwhile, need to think about our pockets and as equipment very rarely develops faults, the equipment guarantee isn't enough to pay more for. 

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I appreciate that Catherine and I understand your views on this too.

If you feel this is something our teams could help with and if you'd like for them to take a further look into this for you then please let me know.

There may be alternatives that have not yet been considered that we can look at on your behalf. I'd like to see if this is the case given your tenure with us as a valued customer.

Kind regards

Karen_A

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos