Menu
NEVERAGAIN1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Stitched up

I know I am not alone with this problem, and I hope one of you can signpost me to the right ombudsman etc. I signed up to VM in January 2016 and moved home in June. My bill more than doubled in price so I rang to cancel, only to be told I'm in contract until June as they started a new contract when I moved. I wasn't told at the time, nor have I agreed or signed any contract. I have asked them to send me a copy of this signed contract, and of course, it never materialised. I've now cancelled my direct debit so I know they will be in touch when they attempt to get the money.
Has anyone had any useful help and advice from any ombudsman body or do I need legal advice? Thanks in advance
0 Kudos
shanematthews
Super solver
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Stitched up

The contract renewal on a move is standard and would be in the terms and conditions of the contract you agreed to originally, unfortunately this is standard practice and any legal service will advise you that this is in the T&C's

0 Kudos
NEVERAGAIN1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Surely I should have been told over the phone at the time and at least been given the option to buy out of the contract?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

You can buy out the contract, cancelling your direct debit will kill your credit rating and bring debt collectors

NEVERAGAIN1
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

When I took out the contract based on a price, as most of us do. I cannot afford over £40 JUST on the internet!?!? How can they get away with this? Stitching me into a contract and increasing the cost by over 50%????
0 Kudos
spell
Well-informed
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It is a legal requirement that the contractor makes it clear that the customer is entering into a contract which is usually done by the signing of a contract.

In these circumstances it should have been made clear by the customer service agent who should have qualified it by reference to the terms and conditions.

VM can prove that this was done by producing a copy of the telephone call - unless of course the system happened to malfunction for that particular call.

If that is the case I would submit that the 'contract' was not valid.

You need expert qualified advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau (free) who can be contacted by phone for an appointment or online where the circumstances can be sent to them for guidance regarding your rights and the best way to proceed.

Good luck with it.

NEVERAGAIN1
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you very much

I know without doubt that the agent did not mention that my contract would have to start again when I contacted them about my move.
They did not send me any new contract, and as I mentioned, I've asked them for a copy of THAT contract which they said they would, and never did.

I'm utterly shocked at that way VM managed to do this to so many
People in one way or another, and apparently get away with it.

I will take the advice and stand firm with this.

Thank you again
0 Kudos