Menu
Londonbrave
Tuning in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Speed, Refunds and Ombudsman

I rely on broadband for work from home. I am paying for 50MB. I was promised an upgrade to 70MB more than one year ago. This is now only due in March 2017. I have been paying 28/month.

This has just gone up to 31.00 per month.

I use speedcheck on an Ethernet connection to test my broadband and on average - I am getting less than 5MB - YES 5Mb Downstream. The Upstream is usually faster. I have called support, been promised a refund on my previous bills - nothing - I have been promised a fix - nothing - i was sent a new Router - It's not the Router.

I feel cheated and not only can i not work with this pathetic speed, it's unreliable, sometimes bursting, sometimes dead - how can Virgin not address my concern - Is anyone else in the TW postcode having the same? Is the Virgin network so technically damaged and congested that us customers are fitting the bill for it to be upgraded while we suffer poor to no service for critical connectivity?

I would love to get to the bottom of this as it's unfair, unethical and simply unnaceptable - Sir Richard should know about this.

Anyone else in the same boat here?

[MOD EDIT: Subject heading changed to assist community]

0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Speed, Refunds & Ombudsman

I am in the TW area - TW2 and have no issues with speed. I am on vivid 200 gamer and actually get 219/22. That doesn't help you of course.. just saying it isn't affecting all of TW area.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

hiya @Londonbrave welcome to the virginmedia community forum, is the broadband any faster really late at night or very early in the morning?, since does look like a possible high utilisation issue, if you check for faults via -> http://status.virginmedia.com would also be advisable to check on the signal levels by going to http://192.168.0.1 clicking router status top right [no need to login] and if could copy/paste the downstream, upstream, network log don't worry about the formatting we can easily read it.

as for Sir Richard he is jus the face person for virginmedia, he has no control over virginmedia (never really did), which is owned by liberty global, just NTL/Telewest paid a lot to use the trade name
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Dave606
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

In fairness, I'm wandering if the "free" speed upgrade delays are often caused by VM realising and detecting over utilisation issues and are being slightly cautious in controlling the rollout of speed upgrades until they can try and solve issues in such areas and cases as the op?.  Of cause that wouldn't stop higher end speeds being available in the same area which kind of sounds strange I guess.  Maybe in future VM could also think of limiting making the highest speeds to customers in such areas that may be in over utilisation areas?.

0 Kudos
Corinneangela
Rising star
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I'm doubtful that I am in an over utilized area as I have never had issues with speeds when I was on 50, then 100, then 150, 200 right through to gamer.. I have always got at least the speed paid for. Of course the OP could be in another area of TW.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Londonbrave

Thanks for joining us on the community and for checking in with us about the Speed Boost review dates.

I am sorry that this has been pushed back but if there are issues affecting the customer experience that we have logged currently then that would take priority over the speed boost as we want to make sure that the services customers have currently is running as they should be within the specifications we are providing to them and that they are paying for.

As you appear to be affected by an area issue that has had a impact on services I'll be flagging this to one of my colleagues who supports our customers with our broadband service.

My colleague will drop by with a post a little later on to touch base with you and offer the support we can with this.

In the meantime if there is anything else we can support you with, just let us know.

Thanks again.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Londonbrave, 

Thanks for getting in touch with us! I apologise for any troubles caused by your slow speeds issues.

I have had a look at things from here and I can see that there's currently 2 faults affecting your connection.  

The first is that your area cable has some load issues, especially during the peak hours. We're planning to undertake some upgrades to parts of our external network in your area in order to combat this. 

The upgrades will be to improve the bandwidth and performance during the peak hours, the reference number for this is F003478235 and progress is currently set to be reviewed around the middle of January. Should you require any further updates on this then post back here and we'll gladly take a look at things from here for you and provide any updates that are available.

The second issue is one that will require an engineer's expertise to resolve as all of your downstream power levels are higher than the recommended ranges. I will send you a PM (purple envelope at the top) detailing what's required in order to proceed with making the booking.

Please respond to me there and I'll get this sorted for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Londonbrave
Tuning in
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Adam,

Thanks for clarifying this. So the huge problem i have is QoS. This problem has been ongoing for most of this year and I am paying for a service I am clearly not receiving. I am forking out for a 50mb connection, 28 quid a month and Knowingly, you cannot deliver this service but continue to charge me. I respect your honesty in reply but for crying in a bucket, you have not only increased my cost to £31 now, but tell me this will go on into January. I need to invest in a redundant connection now as my whole household relies on connectivity, how do you justify charging me for a service you cannot deliver? How do you intend to reimburse me? Many thanks, David
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Adam_L
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Hi Londonbrave, 

Thanks for responding!

With regards to reimbursement for your issues, just give out customer service team a call on 151 free from a Virgin line or 0345 454 1111 from any other line and they'll be more than happy to apply any credits for you.

Take care, 

Thanks, 

Adam.

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Londonbrave
Tuning in
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I have done so a few times and been promised everything and have nothing to show for it.