Menu
francesniven
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Sky Sports Scam

I received the e-mail below regarding Sky Sports at it appears that this has come from Amazon.  Does anyone know if this is a scam as I did try to take advantage of the offer but have never received the service?  I didn't exchange financial or log-in details but was just curious if anyone had ever come across this.

From: aws@awscampaigns.virginmedia.com <aws@awscampaigns.virginmedia.com>
Sent: 13 October 2016 11:38
To: ***********@hotmail.com
Subject: Thanks for choosing Sky Sports, Frances

Hi Frances

Good news, your Sky Sports subscription is just about ready for kick-off

Thanks for signing up to Sky Sports on Virgin TV. Our team is busy getting everything ready so you can start enjoying six whole months of half-price Sky Sports action!

With Sky Sports you're onto a real winner, with great live coverage of your favourite sports - football, golf, rugby, cricket, tennis, boxing and loads more - all at half-price for just £15.88 a month for the next six months!

After six months you'll start paying our standard subscription price currently £31.75 a month, but once you've had Sky Sports for 30 days you're free to opt out of your subscription at any time with just 30 days' notice.

We'll be upgrading your Virgin TV service within the next 48 hours.

All the best,

The Virgin Media Team

This email has been sent to the following address: **********@hotmail.com by Virgin Media. 
Don't miss out on our news and offers! Just add theteam@mailing.virginmedia.com to your address book. For more information about us, or to view our privacy policy, please visit the links below:

Privacy  |  About Us

[MOD EDIT: For your security personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
allblack
Tuning in
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Sky Sports Scam

I received the same  "Sky Sports offer" - i.e. 3 months at £5 per month etc and on signing up I received the same acknowledgement e mail as shown in the earlier post from ***********@virginmedia.com.   On querying today why there was no access to Sky Sports with Virgin Media- I was told after talking to three different agents and two "webchats" that no one at Virgin knows anything of this "offer"

It is a bit disturbing to think that e mails purporting to come from Virgin Media and using their e mail address list are being circulated and then apparently being "acknowledged" and no one at Virgin Media appears to know anything about it.  I suspect their e mail  system and possibly accounts have been hacked and are being used by third parties.

Not a good advert for Virgin Media

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
allblack
Tuning in
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I received the same "Sky Sports Offer" at the weekend and the same acknowledgement  email form "***@awscampaignsvirginmedia.com.  On querying the lack of action with Virgin today, after an hour and speaking to three customer service reps and two "webchats" no one appeared to know anything of this offer.

It is worrying to think that someone is using the Virgin Media logos etc. and presumably their e mail listings without any one at Virgin being aware- or seeming to care very much.

Perhaps someone has hacked in to Virgin Media system and is using the mailing lists- hopefully not their account details as well !  This needs monitoring carefully by Virgin Media and we need to be reassured that our details are safe with them - or not !

I am concerned by the lack of knowledge and concern that Virgin Media has regarding possible scams being carried out in their name.  Not a good advert for the Virgin Media service

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines]

0 Kudos
francesniven
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Sky Sports email offer

yes - if it is a genuine offer then I haven't received the service either.  I think this needs to be clarified by someone who actually knows about the offer.  There doesn't seem to be any point phoning up to ask for the service to be added since no-one seems to know about the service!

0 Kudos

All Replies
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Amazon?

0 Kudos
francesniven
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Yes ... it appears that AWS stands for Amazon Web Services!

https://aws.amazon.com/

0 Kudos
allblack
Tuning in
Message 4 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I received the same  "Sky Sports offer" - i.e. 3 months at £5 per month etc and on signing up I received the same acknowledgement e mail as shown in the earlier post from ***********@virginmedia.com.   On querying today why there was no access to Sky Sports with Virgin Media- I was told after talking to three different agents and two "webchats" that no one at Virgin knows anything of this "offer"

It is a bit disturbing to think that e mails purporting to come from Virgin Media and using their e mail address list are being circulated and then apparently being "acknowledged" and no one at Virgin Media appears to know anything about it.  I suspect their e mail  system and possibly accounts have been hacked and are being used by third parties.

Not a good advert for Virgin Media

0 Kudos
allblack
Tuning in
Message 5 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I received the same "Sky Sports Offer" at the weekend and the same acknowledgement  email form "***@awscampaignsvirginmedia.com.  On querying the lack of action with Virgin today, after an hour and speaking to three customer service reps and two "webchats" no one appeared to know anything of this offer.

It is worrying to think that someone is using the Virgin Media logos etc. and presumably their e mail listings without any one at Virgin being aware- or seeming to care very much.

Perhaps someone has hacked in to Virgin Media system and is using the mailing lists- hopefully not their account details as well !  This needs monitoring carefully by Virgin Media and we need to be reassured that our details are safe with them - or not !

I am concerned by the lack of knowledge and concern that Virgin Media has regarding possible scams being carried out in their name.  Not a good advert for the Virgin Media service

0 Kudos
Deany123
Tuning in
Message 6 of 26
Flag for a moderator

I also got this. The email address it came from was the same address I get from Virgin all the time:
email@vmemail.virginmedia.com
Obviously I exchanged no details but how has this happened?
0 Kudos
Community Lead
Community Lead
Message 7 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi all

To confirm: this is a genuine email offer from Virgin Media.

James

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 8 of 26
Flag for a moderator

James_W wrote:

Hi all

To confirm: this is a genuine email offer from Virgin Media.

James

Just curious,

If this is a genuine email offer from Virgin Media, then how is it that allblack states "On querying today why there was no access to Sky Sports with Virgin Media- I was told after talking to three different agents and two "webchats" that no one at Virgin knows anything of this "offer".

How is it possible that an offer of this kind can not be known by VM sales agents and support staff?

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Deany123
Tuning in
Message 9 of 26
Flag for a moderator

And I have been told on Twitter this is legit, plus received an email confirming the bundle has been added, when it hasn't!
0 Kudos
francesniven
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

yes - if it is a genuine offer then I haven't received the service either.  I think this needs to be clarified by someone who actually knows about the offer.  There doesn't seem to be any point phoning up to ask for the service to be added since no-one seems to know about the service!

0 Kudos