Menu
Catess76
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Silver Terminator Cap

Hello,

I'm just sending my VM box back to VM and in the instructions it advises you to disconnect white coaxial cable and replace with terminator cap but I've tried to do this and actually can't do. Am worried as in instructions it says this step is REALLY important. Please help. I just can't disconnect the cable from the wall socket at all I've tried very hard indeed it isn't happening.

Regards,

Caroline T

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Silver Terminator Cap

there is a hexagonal nut on the bezel of the connector. You need to unscrew that to release the cable.

Beldenf.jpg

Its clockwise to loosen

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes, put it onto the VM box. There's no need to take the cover off. The upper part of it leaves an easy to access cable connection point, put the cap on the upper bit. Not the bottom bit (which goes into the box and hides the inner connector.)

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

there is a hexagonal nut on the bezel of the connector. You need to unscrew that to release the cable.

Beldenf.jpg

Its clockwise to loosen

Catess76
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for your help. Do I need to put the cap on the VM box then ? If it is the wall connection I just can't get it open at all it's surrounded by a box on the wall and too close to the wall to use the spanner effectively :-(

Regards,

Caroline 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Yes, put it onto the VM box. There's no need to take the cover off. The upper part of it leaves an easy to access cable connection point, put the cap on the upper bit. Not the bottom bit (which goes into the box and hides the inner connector.)

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Catess76
Tuning in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Oh no I've just posted the VM box back now without the cap on :-( I thought it was the wall  connection it wanted me to put the cover on. 

Oh no hope it goes OK I think the instructions were bit misleading that were sent to me.

Thanks for your advise anyway.

Regards,

Caroline 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

They don't want the cap back - it only costs 10p anyway.

You did it right, they want it on the VM (wall) box, not on the STB or hub. If the connection only feeds in via coax cable.(no wall box) then it would go into that cable which comes out of the wall.

The VM box I have on my wall is double ended: [coax cable running into property] <-> [into the mentioned double-ended VM wall box] <-> [coax connector at top of VM wall box]. But there are one's out there which feed in differently - with only a bottom cable connection point usable (no top connector.)

- - - - - -
0 Kudos
Bdeed
Joining in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I agree the text is misleading. I'm currently doing this and logged on for precisely this reason. The text says remove the cable then for the cap to 'it' this could refer to the hub, which would appear to make sense in terms of protecting the kit. Or the wall box, which seems a bit odd as why should that be so important?

That said the response below suggests the wall mounted connection is what needs protecting!
0 Kudos
bri06484
Just joined
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi I'm packing up my stuff to return it, but I'm not sure exactly which cables I should include in the return? Also, what am I meant to do with the silver terminator cap?
Thanks!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi bri06484

Thanks for getting in touch about the terminator caps and welcome to the community Smiley Happy

They just pop onto the end of the cabling that was connected to the equipment in the home. In doing so this helps reduce noise or feedback on the line and stops your home cabling from causing network faults after you have been disconnected after you have cancelled with us as this may affect your neighbours still connected to our network.

Let us know if you need anything else!

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
simon4
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Karen,

I am also in the process of returning my equipment and found myself on this forum page but don't seem to have any of the 'silver terminator caps'... please can you tell me where I can find these? 

Thanks

Simon 

0 Kudos