Menu
Bra1n
Dialled in
Message 1 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Scam calls from 01315388024

Just a heads up that I've been getting multiple calls on my mobile from the number above (Edinburgh area code but number doesn't work if you ring back). Finally spoke to the caller today who claimed to be calling on behalf of Virginmedia regarding discounts on my services and asked for characters from my password. I refused and was invited to ring 150 and check it out, I asked for the (female) callers name but was given an employee no (022930) who said she was calling from the Philippines. Customer Service on 150 checked the details but thought it was a scam as the employee number didn't exist and no one had been into my account on their side. On the upside I got free Sky Sports & Movies for 3 months (as a reward for reporting ?). My mobile is an O2 one by the way so either a lucky guess on the scammers part or the result of a previous data collection exercise.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Scam calls from 01315388024

Hi Bra1n

Thanks for your patience in waiting for an update on this number query

After investigation and just to confirm, it is a valid sales number used by one of our Telesales teams. 

We have stopped using this number until we can get the automated message added to this when you dial this back again letting our customers know we have tried to contact our customers.

I know I have taken some further action on your behalf which we have discussed in pm's,  to help by removing you from the sales marketing system, and this still stands.  I just wanted to update you with the information that it was a genuine number to begin with.

Thanks again for letting us know this had been an issue so we had a chance to resolve this Smiley Happy

Cheers

Karen

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bra1n

Thanks for your post regarding the nuisance call you received, purportedly from us.  I have fed this back to our teams.

If you are unsure of any such calls you have done exactly the right thing in calling us to verify the nature of the caller and I can see from what you've said , you've benefited from calling in to do so with the Sky Sports offer that was available to you so that's great Smiley Happy  If we do call you for any reason and you're not expecting this then notes should be left on the account to support this for you.

In order to reduce unsolicited calls you can register your details with the Telephone Preference Service  link here  for your landline and your mobile can also be registered on this link too TPS  

You were not receiving a silent call in this instance but should this be an issue for you at any point you can also register your numbers with Silentcall-Gard here SCG

Finally if we have your details for contact purposes and you would like us to opt you out of any marketing calls that we provide to you, then we can opt you out of these and this take up to 28 days to update with us, the same sort of timescale as the TPS.  Once you're opted in for both of these that remains opted in as long as you have the numbers.

Silentcall-Gard takes 24 hours to activate but needs to be re registered every 12 months.

Please let me know if you'd like us to update your number on our own internal marketing system and I'll get that sorted for you today to action within the 28 days, and if there;s anything else I can help you with Smiley Happy

Thanks again

Karen

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Bra1n
Dialled in
Message 3 of 30
Flag for a moderator

I'm already registered with TPS not that it seems to make any difference and I certainly don't want any marketing calls from Virginmedia or anyone else for that matter. So go ahead and flag my numbers on your marketing system to not receive calls. How do I give you my numbers? I obviously don't want to post them on a public forum, that would be asking for trouble

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bra1n

Loving the quick reply Smiley Happy

I'll make sure this is actioned on your behalf and let you know once it's done.  I'll drop you a private message to confirm anything necessary.

Speak soon

Karen

Karen_A
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Bra1n

Thanks for your patience in waiting for an update on this number query

After investigation and just to confirm, it is a valid sales number used by one of our Telesales teams. 

We have stopped using this number until we can get the automated message added to this when you dial this back again letting our customers know we have tried to contact our customers.

I know I have taken some further action on your behalf which we have discussed in pm's,  to help by removing you from the sales marketing system, and this still stands.  I just wanted to update you with the information that it was a genuine number to begin with.

Thanks again for letting us know this had been an issue so we had a chance to resolve this Smiley Happy

Cheers

Karen

Karen_A
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Bra1n
Dialled in
Message 6 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the feedback, I was convinced at first it was a scam but when further investigation revealed reports of problem calls from this number going back a number of years I started to suspect otherwise. Not good though that unsolicited calls should ask for password details, even if it's only a few characters, gets people into the wrong habits.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hi Bra1n

Thanks for your feedback on this, it is something we take into consideration.

I understand that people want their details protected and it is to that end that our outbound teams request character details to confirm they are speaking to the account holder in those instances.

They should update the account to advise they have called so that if the customer wishes to call in to verify this call they can if they would prefer to do so.

It's a difficult one, as we know people want to protect themselves from identity security issues and scams but we too have an obligation to protect your data when making calls.

I'm happy to pass on your feedback in this matter and have done so to the marketing teams on your behalf regarding the way we handle our calls.

Thanks again for getting back in touch Smiley Happy

Karen

Karen_A
Forum Team

0 Kudos
wm29
Tuning in
Message 8 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Number blocked on my mobile. If I want to change owt with VM, I'll ring 150.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Hi wm29,

Thank you for your post on the Community Forum. Apologies if you are receiving unwanted marketing calls from Virgin Media to your mobile.

Calling 150 to speak with our Customer Relations department is the best way to have Virgin Media marketing calls and materials removed from your account. Alternatively, just let us know here and we can look into this for you.

Regards.

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
smartk2
Joining in
Message 10 of 30
Flag for a moderator

On my first call from this number I requested that my number be removed from their database, if this was actually Virgin calling then my request was clearly ignored. After my second call from this number, I was told that this was a scam call when I contacted live chat. I was also told that my work phone number was removed from your database but then I received another call from the same number twice today.This is my work number and I obviously don't want to be harassed like this at work.

How can I remove my phone numbers and addresses from your marketing mailbase? I don't ever want to be contacted by Virgin for marketing or selling purposes. I also receive marketing letters and although I have emailed optout@virginmedia.co.uk. but I still get the letters. Why does this have to be so difficult?

0 Kudos