Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 5 (121 Views)

Ridiculous Password set up requirements

Got an email to set up My Virgin Media Account! Got everything to set up except whenever I enter I enter a password it says it's invalid. Do you have any rules on setting up a password as this is the worst set up ever. I'm new to your service and it sucks already! Why weren't my half a dozen passwords I tried to set up my account with not valid. Do your customers have so much time to waste to try to figure out the whims of your password police? Awaiting your response.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 5 (195 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Michael_JK (Forum Team)
‎20-04-2017 14:31

Re: Ridiculous Password set up requirements

"At Virgin Media, we like to make sure we're keeping your info nice and secure. That's why we ask you to change your password every now and then.

Here are some guidelines to make your password stronger. So the new password you choose should:

Be a random collection of letters and numbers, rather than an actual word (so it's harder to guess)

Be between 8 and 10 characters long (with no spaces)

Contain only numbers and letters (rather than characters like @*? etc).

Start with a letter.

Not contain 3 numbers in a row."

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Superuser
Message 2 of 5 (118 Views)

Hint - try a maximum of ten letters and no symbols. Should work. The VM password system is a bit antiquated. You should have been provided with a password in your joining pack.

-----------------------

Superuser 2016/17
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM.
0 Kudos
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 5 (196 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Michael_JK (Forum Team)
‎20-04-2017 14:31

"At Virgin Media, we like to make sure we're keeping your info nice and secure. That's why we ask you to change your password every now and then.

Here are some guidelines to make your password stronger. So the new password you choose should:

Be a random collection of letters and numbers, rather than an actual word (so it's harder to guess)

Be between 8 and 10 characters long (with no spaces)

Contain only numbers and letters (rather than characters like @*? etc).

Start with a letter.

Not contain 3 numbers in a row."

********** SuperHub 2ac - Asus rt-ac68u Router - 70Mbit Service ***********

Electron
Joining in
Message 4 of 5 (42 Views)

As a lot of people will have seen the message about changing our passwords it is about time Virgin increased the number of characters, currently limited to 10, using a password generator set to 10 characters then using a password checker the best security before cracking  seems to be about 6 months, the character count needs to be increased, to at least give a secure password .

0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5 (37 Views)

Well, that rules me out for a start. None of my passwords meet those requirements. And if I can't register, I don't use the service. Virgin Media: try unstuffing your securocrats . . . .
0 Kudos