Menu
netinyahoo
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Retentions issues and added install charges

Being a Virgin Media (NTL, Telewest) customer for 18 years I had perhaps the worst customer service experience with The company.

I have come to the end of my annual contract I decided to look at offers from other broadband providers and talk to the retentions department.

After speaking to a nice lady called Sam in rententions she offered a deal with offered TV service (as I currently only have Broadband & phone) I said that I would call back later to confirm the offer.

Ten minutes later I call back rententions to confirm the deal. When I am told by another abrupt and rude member of rententions that I will have to pay a £40 installers fee, unless I install the tv box myself.

The rententions person I spoke to (Sam) never mentioned their would be an install charge for the TV box.

Installing the tv box is not a problem except I do not have the cabling near my TV and the broadband connection was installed in another part of the house.

Despite explaining several times to the rententions staff that this was not possible, he continued to repeat that we needed to get a cable from Maplin. He said it so many times that you realise that he was not listening to anything I was saying!

It was so frustrating I said I would call back another time. As he was being aggressive and just not listening to my needs as a customer.

When I mentioned it to my partner she remembered when we had cable installed in the house we asked installer if would be a problem being away from a TV he said that if we every had the TV service it could installed for free as part of renewing of our annual contract.

Adding the install fee of the cost balance between Virgin and Sky not very competitive. As despite the slower broadband fee Sky where offering a much better package.

As a long standing Virgin (NTL, Telwest) customer a combination of mis information from the installer and the poor customer service (not being listened to) I am thinking it maybe time to move on.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Retentions issues and addd install charges

Hi netinyahoo, 

Thanks for your post and I can only apologise that Sam didn't initially go through the installation options. 

Usually these are presented as the order progresses. 

There are only the 2 options we offer. A free installation for Self install or if you want an engineer to attend then it would be £40. 

The only time we would offer the engineer for free is if there is no self install option. 

I'm sorry if this doesn't suit you. Speaking to the team they may be able to offer you a different deal that may come with a free installation instead. You can reach them on 150 / 0345 454 1111. 

Keep us posted on how the call goes. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
netinyahoo
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Retentions issues and addd install charges

Hi

I spoke to another person at customer service and was managed to sort out the costs.

I did explain multiple times that self install was not a option to Sam, but he did not understand.

Though all sorted out now. 

0 Kudos