Menu
dm999uk
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Renewal of contracts

I've just had the most unusual statement from one of the guys in the customer retention team, 

having phoned to discuss the end of my current discounts he advised that I am somehow back in contract until May 2017, now I haven't agreed a new contract since 2015 with anyone nor have I had a change to package since 2015.

In his words, fortunately I'm on a recorded line - any repair/in home maintenance/equipment swap or similar - basically anytime the VM equipment screws up and gets repaired or replaced VM apparently renew your contract for a further 12 months and no consent is required.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Renewal of contracts

If you change your package, that will start a new minimum term contract as per the TOS.

However call outs, straight swaps of broken equipment, or upgrades offered by VM  FOC will not.

You need to find out what change EXACTLY they are saying invoked a new contract. Come back and tell us we can check if its legitimate or not.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Could be an 18 month contract, started November 2015?

0 Kudos
dm999uk
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Change of VM Super hub, V1 failed and non repairable - V2 Black sent out to replace failed equipment and self installed.

This is the sole reason for a new 12 month contract, and to be fair they confirm the exact date of equipment change as the start date of the new contract in March 2016.

Double checked with a different agent and made a full recording, they also confirm the same as above, any repair or replacement for any reason including equipment failure will trigger a new contract.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

dm999uk wrote:

Change of VM Super hub, V1 failed and non repairable - V2 Black sent out to replace failed equipment and self installed.

This is the sole reason for a new 12 month contract, and to be fair they confirm the exact date of equipment change as the start date of the new contract in March 2016.

Double checked with a different agent and made a full recording, they also confirm the same as above, any repair or replacement for any reason including equipment failure will trigger a new contract.

That's nonsense, any change in package triggers a new contract but changing faulty equipment triggering it would I believe be illegal

Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Like dannylau says

Replacement of broken kit cant trigger a new contract, unless you OPTED to change your package at the same time. The expression "self installed" seems to be a red flag from the POV that a switch out of HUB would be a replacement with an "activation" not a "self install" - it may have been logged on the system wrong. Either way if all you've had is replacement for broken kit, a new contract should not have been triggered.

Wait for staff to pick it up, they should be able to work it out their end.

Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

dm999uk wrote:

A repair or replacement of faulty equipment, in and by itself, should not trigger a new contract and any such action may be in breach of the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2015/15/contents/enacted

As the use of Virgin Media supplied equipment is required for service provision, providing you did not instigate any changes to your services. VM have no grounds to renew your contract only because their faulty equipment has been replaced.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi dm999uk,

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear there has been some confusion around your contract. 

I can categorically state that if we are replacing equipment due to a fault then NO new contract will be entered in to. 

The only time this would happen is if you choose to upgrade the equipment or want to change your package. 

You've mentioned above about changing the hub. Did you ask to be upgraded to the SuperHub 2.0 or did we just send the newer hub? If you requested it, this would be classed as an upgrade which would trigger a new contract as all equipment swaps are like for like unless we no longer offer it. 

Come back and let us know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos