Menu
ScrewVM
Tuning in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Refuse to pay bill after year contract. PRISON?

So I took out a £35 broadband deal (100mb) out last June. As I moved into a shared house with a mate. But come October the house was being put up for sale so I moved on October 19th to another shared house on a new Estate with stranger all was good and still is. However I contacted Virginia media stating I had moved to a non Virginia media area (new Estate BT only), and they said it would cost about £160 to cancel my account so I ended up telling them that I would just pay every month that till my contract ran out.

Come to June 2016 I popped in a Virginia media store and explained my situation and they guys said that It will expire so I just cancelled my direct debit. Then about 6 weeks later I get a phone call saying that I own them £80 or so and I said I refuse to pay as I have not used the service since October (I still have router so it won't work at old house).

This has been causing me a lot of stress lately and I'm already very depressed mainly because my dad's passing has really started to affect me these last few months.

Now I am wondering if they will get bailiffs to remove goods from a shared house all I own is a £1500 motorbike and a TV £100 I have money to pay the debt but refuse out of principle.

I am more than willing to let this go to court. In which case I will refuse a lawyer and tell the court my story and refuse to pay what the court says I owe them on top. I will refuse community service and will not show up for this if I am made to choose. I am willing to go to prison as I will be able to leave a job I dislike and will find it very hard to get a job upon my release (unless I get murdered inside) , I can live doing what ever I like (prob travel around the uk). Obviously I would much rather Virgin media forget about the money they are trying to and unsuccessfully going to get from me.

Any one got anything I can say to Virgin media to make this whole situation go away.

I am a 22 year old English man. If that makes any difference.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Refuse to pay bill after year contract. PRISON?

I'll tell you what to say. - "I'm going to pay up."

You say your willing to go to prison?  Well the consequences of not paying run much deeper than that.  It will also go on your credit record which will make it harder to get credit and mortgages in the future .

When you sign up for Virgin you sign up to a fixed term contract.  If you leave before the contract expires then you have to pay either the remainder of the contract up to a maximum figure of £200.  So you can continue to "refuse to pay out of principle" but it's not going to make the problem go away.

Ofcom investigated the fixed term contracts a while back and concluded that they were fair.  So I doubt a court will support you either.  And if you refuse to honour the courts judgement then you also put yourself in contempt of court, for which a judge can jail you anyway.

You want better advice - go see a solicitor or the citizens advice and see what they have to say.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
ScrewVM
Tuning in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I was told by the store my contract was finished and it was as I took out on 9th June 2015.

I can not find anything in the terms and conditions stating that they automatically renew the contract seeing as I received no letters as they kept going to old address because they could not change my address.
0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Virgin do not renew contracts - once your contract expires it very clearly says in your contract that you will need from that point to give 30 days notice of cancellation (unless you renew)

Incidentally - I agree with the advice already given - refusing to pay is simply daft. I doubt very much Virgin would chase you with bailiffs for around £100, but they will black mark your credit file which will make things very tricky  for you in the future.

As for your prison sentence - forgive me for saying this, but that is the silliest thing I have ever read.

My advice? - pick up the phone and discuss with them to come up with a payment plan you can afford. The problem wont go away - the debt will not be forgotten.

You could argue with them that the store told you to cancel the Direct Debit - but did you then call Virgin and request return of their equipment? (which you will be charged for if not returned) - I'd say no since you still have some of their property at the new address (the router), the answer is no.

Call them ... they may suprise you

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

You will, of course, not be sent to prison for non-payment of your Virgin bill just as people do not get sent to prison for non-payment of their TV Licence.

Some drama queens do get sent to jail for contempt of court.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
ScrewVM
Tuning in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

I have money that is not the problem. I don't have any credit cards or outgoing monthly loans. I was raised to work hard and save to buy not buy to spread.

I want to know what my best way of getting out of paying for services that have ended but were renewed without my consent. When ever I try to get through to cancellation I'm on hold for 45mins. And when I did get through they hung up on me before I could even talk.

I have previous call logs showing that I have rang them and durations of the calls. But their phone teams are next to useless.
0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

With respect to you, you are under the impression that the "services were renewed without your consent" - this is completely wrong.

As I have explained already, once you are outside your contract, then the terms and conditions clearly state that you must give 30 days notice to them. You have not (apparantly) done this.

Glad to hear you are responsible with money - but you are about to place a black mark on your credit file. You may not want credit cards, but at some point, you will want a mortgage, car loan, home improvement loan etc.

I really do urge you to call Virgin and arrange a payment plan to repay the money you really do owe
ScrewVM
Tuning in
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Okay. What should I say regarding to the 30day cancellation. Seeing as I went in store and was not told about this. Is their a fee to pay? And what about the £80 since the contract had finished. Is it not to late for my credit to already be marked.
0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

If it was me, I'd be tempted to call them in the first instance and explain what the store told you. You could also explain that the address you are in is a non virgin serviced house so that you cannot use them anyway.

It's possible they may accept this and draw a line under it - if they dont, then you will have to serve them the 30 days cancellation period.

It really depends on how you get the point across that the shop gave you mis-information. Whatever happens, stay polite - you will get better results if you don't scream at them.

I'd also call retentions on the number - (0345 454 1111 then select options 4 & 5) they will at least be English speaking (don't let the word retentions put you off ... they do so much more)

Good luck!
ScrewVM
Tuning in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

So after spending more than an hour on the phone. I find ally got through to a manager on the movers team, he has managed to change my cancellation date to tommorow and is going to send me a final bill which he has said I will not have to pay and he will back me up. He gave me his unique VM id number as a reference.

Some of the reasons include but are not limited too;
I informed them several months ago that I was moving to a non VM house and did not want to pay the £180 cancelled fee and I would pay every month that till my contract runs out, they were OK with this.
I explained I went to a VM retail store to cancel my account, they had told me my contract was up and that I should just cancel my direct debit, which I did and was under the impression that was the end of my situation with VM.

All I will say is thanks for all the responses for the rather well informed users on this forum unlike many forums around. And if anyone else in the future comes across this for their help. Just try to get through to a manager and remain calm. This has worked for me (I am a night shift supervisor at an above average hotel).

Thanks again everyone. And best of luck to all those that get put in my situation.
0 Kudos