Menu
Dav1588
Joining in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Recording calls made to virgin media

Hello everyone.Can anyone tell me what is virgin media's policy regarding customers recording calls made to VM.I am thinking of

phoning VM and informing the person i speak to that i will be recording the phone call and if necessary pass it on to a 3rd

party.They can then accept or refuse.What does VM instruct their staff to do in this situation? Surely they must have an official

or even unofficial policy?.I've read somewhere they won't play any of their recordings back to you (voluntarily), so this is the

only way for customers to collect evidence.In my opinion if a member of the VM call centres is being honest with you then there

is no reason why they should refuse to have a recorded conversation with you.Is that not correct?

Only those who have something to hide would not want the conversation recorded.Afterall,it does not reveal anything personal
about the person you are speaking to,only the dealings regarding your own account.
Anyone  (especially a staff forum member) have any info or comments on this.Thanks. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Recording calls made to virgin media

hiya @Dav1588 welcome to the virginmedia community forum, the recording on calls comes under 'Telecommunications Regulations 2000' pass onto 3rd party would be something like the police if they consider the call an act of possible fraud.
there is lots of other acts e.g.:
Data Protection Act 1998
The Employment Practices, Data Protection Code
Telecommunications (Data Protection and Privacy) Regulations 1999
Human Rights Act 1998

I believe you can request a transcript of the call, no idea how long this would take normally has a £10 fee 

----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
RyanC
Tuning in
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Everytime I ask for the recordings of my calls they don't have any and they fall back to the line that at the start of the call they say they only record SOME of the calls, strangely none of mine so far.

Can't see why you cannot record your own calls as long as you do what they say at the start of their own calls - whats good enough for the goose etc

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

The position is set out in this helpful BBC page:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/4801072.stm

If you intend to use the recording in Court or other proceedings where it would be heard by a third party then you need the explicit consent of the person being recorded. Don't be surprised if the VM call taker puts the phone down on you when you tell them what you are doing.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
piston_broke
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I think Dav1588 already knows the bit about obtaining consent because he says '' informing the person i speak to that i will be recording the phone call and if necessary pass it on to a 3rd party.They can then accept or refuse''

The point is VM record calls,so why shouldn't we, the customers, also do the same? It would certainly cut down on the lying that the VM sales people do.

If a VM rep is likely to put the phone down on you if you tell them a call is being recorded,then what does this say about their integrity?

Would YOU want to trust them?

As Dav1588 says,only a dishonest person wouldn't want the conversation recorded.

Dav 1588's actual question hasn't been answered by anybody anyway.He's asking about VM policy on this issue.How about a staff member answer this one? Or do they only respond to non awkward questions,as seems to be the case a lot of the time on these forums.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dav1588, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. Smiley Happy

It is entirely down to the Agent on whether or not they wish to be recorded. VM have no actual policy that states we have to continue with the call. What is stated is that if the agent doesn't give permission and the customer continues to record then they are able to disconnect the call as long as they have advised this beforehand. 

It is purely down to agent discretion. 

I hope this answers your question Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
roundy2405
Tuning in
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I have had the exact same I am in an argument with virgin and funnily enough they'd don't have the recording !!!
roundy2405
Tuning in
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

KATH F please explain to me why you have magically lost the recording of the call that have put virgin in a position where they have caused me hassle and distress ??? Nothing more than a corrupt business Richard Branson should be ashamed your using his brand name to rip customers off....

No email to send complaints too, no email for customer enquiries, is this because you will be inundated with complaints and need to hire a whole new set of god knows how many staff! Your customer service is appalling perhaps not yourself but have you ever heard of the phrase the customer is always right! Virgin media have taken £1000's of me in the past and have treated me with contempt with your inept call handlers from Timbuktu who only speak broken English I put a call in to complain about something then the previous call has been magically lost ????
HughJarsse
Well-informed
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

paultechy wrote:

hiya @Dav1588 welcome to the virginmedia community forum, the recording on calls comes under 'Telecommunications Regulations 2000' pass onto 3rd party would be something like the police if they consider the call an act of possible fraud.
there is lots of other acts e.g.:
Data Protection Act 1998
The Employment Practices, Data Protection Code
Telecommunications (Data Protection and Privacy) Regulations 1999
Human Rights Act 1998

I believe you can request a transcript of the call, no idea how long this would take normally has a £10 fee 

Yes, you can request a 'transcript', BUT....somehow, VM always seem to say that they 'do not have one', when they are in the wrong, but always manage to find one when they seem to be in the right!!

Try to 'request a transcript' and see the resistance VM put up...Having been 'caught' like this once before where we are 'unable to find a copy of the call' (because they were in the wrong!) I always now state, 'I am recording this call for security reasons, and, by continuing this call, you agree you are happy for this to be recorded'. 

VM seem to 'pick and choose' what they 'record' (or so they say) but it seems to me they 'find' those they want to, and 'can't find' those they don't..

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I really dont get what this is about?

The situation, if you take personal agendas out of it is pretty simple.

You phone in. Your advised the call MAY be recorded. You have the option to terminate the call.

YOU tell the agent you are recording the call. They too have the option to terminate the call.

So what?

We have the right to not say anything when arrested. Only mugs waive that (search "why you should never talk to the police" on google).

If you distrust VM that much you feel you need to have the agent "on tape" its likely time to change ISP.

0 Kudos