Menu
AlexMcAll
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

**REDUCE** your monthly payments now!!!!

Hi all Virgins...have I got some amazing news for you!

I was so fed up with the continuous monthly price increases after my 18-month contract (only 12 months in) discounted period ended so I called up Virgin HQ and asked what I could do to reduce my monthly payments without affecting my TV/Broadband/Telephone package too much, and guess what...

They reduced it from £45.48 to £39.00pcm without changing anything on the package itself!!!

So I asked the nice Virgin representative why they didn't do this automatically to customers accounts or at least notify them, and she said it would take to long to notify every customer and that it was upto the customer to find out for themselves by calling them. "Surely this could be an automated email or postal letter process?", I said.

"No, we understand that customers can be lazy and forget their discount period is ending so they only do something about it when they finally think the monthly payment is getting too high!", She said.

I asked her for how many months had I been paying £45.48. "The past three months", She said.

"So I'll be expecting Virgin to back date that refund then?", I exclaimed

"No, we can only refund the difference for the previous month and this one", She replied "Or we can put a £20 credit onto next months account. Would you prefer that?"

"Yes, thank you, but what I would prefer is that Virgin didn't rip off it's customers by keeping quiet about tariff changes that would benefit the customer financially", I suggested.

"I think you'll find every company doesn't inform it's customers, it's not just Virgin's policy", She retorted.

So perhaps there should be a Government policy passed whereby companies have to automatically change their customers to a better pricing structure as long as it doesn't reduce the package benefits.

I've often thought this with contract Mobile phones as I frequently do not use my full msg/minutes/data usage each month and therefore I should not be charged the full £35pm direct debit payment just because that's what I agreed to when I took out the contract.

Any thoughts anyone please?

Virgin Virgin

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: **REDUCE** your monthly payments now!!!!

Yes, my thoughts are simple. Every year, every price rise, I call up to re-negotiate my contract and I have not had a price increase in years. In fact I am now paying less than a couple of years ago for the same service.

Changing customers automatically to a new pricing structure and a new contract, because that is what that would imply, is definitely not something that the government should do. I would strongly object if that happened to me.

If customers can't be bothered to get their fingers out and re-negotiate when their contract is up for renewal, that is their problem and don't saddle the rest of us with your inability to mange your affairs properly.

Seriously "have I got some amazing news for you!", welcome to the real world that any customer with their head screwed on already lives in.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

frank_gm wrote:

Yes, my thoughts are simple. Every year, every price rise, I call up to re-negotiate my contract and I have not had a price increase in years. In fact I am now paying less than a couple of years ago for the same service.

Changing customers automatically to a new pricing structure and a new contract, because that is what that would imply, is definitely not something that the government should do. I would strongly object if that happened to me.

If customers can't be bothered to get their fingers out and re-negotiate when their contract is up for renewal, that is their problem and don't saddle the rest of us with your inability to mange your affairs properly.

Seriously "have I got some amazing news for you!", welcome to the real world that any customer with their head screwed on already lives in.

I normally get a new deal when there is a price increase and this ties my in for another year (OP please note) this generally suits both myself and Virgin

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi AlexMcAll, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. Smiley Happy

We're super glad when calling, we've been able to get you a cheaper deal. 

As simple as it sounds, it's not something we can do and this is for a number of reasons. 

Just to name a few:

1) A lot of customers have opted out of receiving marketing calls to let them know about offers available to them. 

2) As the offers are changing so often, it's impossible for us to check each and every account each time a new offer becomes available. 

3) A new deal initiates a new contract, something we cannot legally, automatically enter you in to. 

We always advise to give us a call if you think there may be a better deal available for you. We would never back date credits either. 

I'm glad things have worked out for you this time. Don't forget to keep checking what deals are on offer though Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
some
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Kath_F wrote:

1) A lot of customers have opted out of receiving marketing calls to let them know about offers available to them. 

2) As the offers are changing so often, it's impossible for us to check each and every account each time a new offer becomes available. 

3) A new deal initiates a new contract, something we cannot legally, automatically enter you in to. 

1) So write to them or e-mail them instead.

2) Manually yes, but there are these new inventions called computers. They help with automation. Apparently they help automate the process of increasing the prices, or is that done manually? No, didn't think so.

3) I'm sorry but if a contract can have a clause where you can increase the price, then it can also have one where you can decrease it. It's not rocket science.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

some wrote:

Kath_F wrote:

1) So write to them or e-mail them instead.

No, under no circumstances, definitely no.  As I said above , I am an adult and I manage my own affairs. I neither need nor want a company to do that for me.

2) Manually yes, but there are these new inventions called computers. They help with automation. Apparently they help automate the process of increasing the prices, or is that done manually? No, didn't think so.

Haven't a clue what that means but, assuming it means the same as 1) above then NO again.

3) I'm sorry but if a contract can have a clause where you can increase the price, then it can also have one where you can decrease it. It's not rocket science.

And when VM increase the price and contact me to that effect, a couple of times last year, I contact VM to mitigate any price increase. How many times does it have to be repeated that managing your own financial affairs is far superior to having a company do it for you automatically.

To take this point a bit further, I received a letter a couple of weeks ago from a major utility company telling me that they were increasing my monthly payments. I immediately called and challenged their figures and we quickly reached an agreement on my monthly charge.

I am not prepared to let a company make a change to my monthly bill without asking them to justify it and amend it.

If others cannot be bothered then that is their problem, don't make life difficult for the rest us because of your lax approach.

Nice to be able to post again, after their mistake (removed by the Censorship team).
¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
some
Tuning in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hey frank_gm, the reason my reply may sound slightly confusing is because I was replying to Kath_F rather than yourself, hence quoting her first. You might want to calm down a little.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Your reply did not confuse me in the slightest, it simply did not make sense as I explained in my carefully formulated response.

I do not need to calm down at all, please explain why I would need to and I will get back to you at my leisure.

¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos
some
Tuning in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Your wording made you sound confused, such as "haven't a clue what that means".

I was replying to Kath_F's misinformed comments regarding what VM can and cannot do. I'll explain slightly.

1) Kath_F said that a lot of people have opted out of receiving marketing calls, which is why VM can't inform them when they can get their service cheaper. I'm one of those people. However, I've not opted out of e-mails or snail mail. So I suggested they do that instead. Your answer sounded like you thought I was speaking to you. If you don't want to know when your package could be cheaper than you can opt out, but that seems a little silly.

2) Kath_F said that it's impossible to check each account every time a new offer comes along. I pointed out that computers are good at automation, so that's not actually true.

3) Kath_F suggested that it would be illegal to enter you into a new contract, which it would be, but I pointed out that if you add a price reduction clause into the contracts it would be fine. You don't seem to like this. What exactly about automatic price decreases is it that you dislike? It seems like quite a strange thing to be against.

0 Kudos
frank_gm
Community elder
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It would not be "fine" for me. To repeat, I do not want VM, or any other company, to enter me in to a new contract without my explicit permission.

Why?  Let's take last year for example. I had a long-running dispute with VM and, during that period, my current contract expired and I certainly had no wish to negotiate a new contract in the circumstances. Becoming increasingly frustrated with VM I started investigating the alternatives and was very close to handing in my thirty days notice when I finally got a resolution from VM.

The fact that I was not under contract gave me an advantage while an automated new contract would have weakened my hand. Even with the fourteen days cooling-off period that could still have put me at a disadvantage as I was out of the country during that period for over fourteen days.

Having obtained a resolution, during October, I was still not in contract but I now had an added advantage. I had received my price increase notification which did not take effect, in my case, until 30th November. So late October I called Retentions, outlined my annoyance, you need to keep it polite and not personal, and made it clear that having had such poor service for several months, to be now faced with a price increase was totally unacceptable. We had a pleasant chat and I ended up with a new contract with an even lower price than the previous year, despite the price increases, and with six months free Netflix, to which we were already subscribed so even more off each month. I also received a phone call a month later offering me a free V6 box. 

Everyone I know, friends, colleagues, some with VM, some with Sky, some with BT, all re-negotiate at the end of their contracts when they have a strong hand and I cannot imagine any wanting to give up this freedom for some fantasy solution that you describe.

¡No Pasarán!
0 Kudos