Menu
coedput
Tuning in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Price increase AGAIN

Here we go AGAIN, Another price rise before the ink has had time to dry on the last one. Being of mature years (a coffin dodger) my income is regulated by the government to a small but welcome rise annually. This is the second rise in a very short period and both have been well over my pension increase. Where does VIRGIN expect me and many more in the same boat to find this extra cash. Why do I want a new TIVO box,the one  I have works Fine.Can I not keep this one and let Virgin keep the price increase? I shall unfortunately be trolling the sites for a better deal

Helpful Answers
coedput
Tuning in
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Price increase AGAIN

Exactly my feelings. I can put up with the ongoing line downs  but when the service is going down how do they think they will keep customers by putting prices up.Sky told me on thursday morning that I could not keep my phone number if I change to them because Virgin would not release it . I will have to go somewhere else

All Replies
Parrotperson
Super solver
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately VM are replacing all previous boxes with Tivo's to work with the new software/network. 

Since I cannot recommend TiVo to anyone at present - I have one and just now with new software it's slow and practically unusable- I would indeed suggest looking for a better deal. Hope you find one!

Bungle72
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I have broadband only. my increase from September amounts to £36 extra a year not including any other price hikes that they may introduce over that period.

Been with ntlworld / virgin almost 20 years. Thinking about going with bt as we already have a bt land line. Speed is not that important any more to me.

0 Kudos
smertrius
Joining in
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Yep when i got the letter I was really annoyed, it seems we now get 2 increases a year. They say we get free things added to package then they increase the bill!! Funny that when i got the letter from virgin I also had a letter from Sky offering free fibre broadband and 50% off TV for a year, i could get sky movies and sky sport plus everything i have with virgin for £20 cheaper or have exactly same as what i have now for a £37 a month saving. Even after the offer period ends in 12 months it would still be £15 a month cheaper than what i have now.

I dont get why they keep pushing up the base price to add these extra things, make the people that want the extras pay for them not everyone!

If they hadn't of kept pushing up the price i wouldn't even consider leaving but now it makes me think about it which is a shame as i really like my broadband, tivo not so much.

coedput
Tuning in
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Exactly my feelings. I can put up with the ongoing line downs  but when the service is going down how do they think they will keep customers by putting prices up.Sky told me on thursday morning that I could not keep my phone number if I change to them because Virgin would not release it . I will have to go somewhere else

coedput
Tuning in
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Same old story.Big Companies do not reward faithfull customers

cbc
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

According to Ofcom it is not good practice for VM to refuse to release your telephone number but it may be complicated by the fact that the phone line is part of VM's infrastructure rather than a standard landline.

See http://ask.ofcom.org.uk/help/telephone/switching_provider

I too am fed up with the price increases. Inflationary rises are fine but so called new free features we are forced to pay for is not. I am jumping ship for a while until VM can once again offer me better tech than Sky for less money than Sky like they did when TiVo first came out. 

NEWBEE2
Tuning in
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I have been on this computer all morning trying to contact virgin media re the price increase. I have followed the instructions on my paper bill and yet it comes back as an INVALID!!! address, why please.?  [yes I have been on the phone to no avail]  I would prefer to email them with ALL the facts but may now have to write.

In short we have been with the fibre set up for over 20yrs now, think it was Telewest as one of them.. I find that my bill has increased by 42% in less than one year. All I use is a Phone line -- All calls inclu + Broadband.  We have NO TV service or NETFLIX OR BT/SKY SPORT ECT,Virgin media say that they give an improved service-- how can one improve a phone call?? yes the broadband speed has increased but they said this was a free upgrade. [50mb]

Virgin Media when running appears to be a good service but try and contact them is a different story.  They make life very difficult.

I am of an age that I do not require any other service--my net service may well be a church service!! just kidding-I think.Smiley Mad

arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

NEWBEE2 wrote:

...Virgin media say that they give an improved service-- how can one improve a phone call?? yes the broadband speed has increased but they said this was a free upgrade. [50mb]

I agree.  I have basic TV, Basic broadband and anytime calls (mainly cos wife will call all and sundry at anytime day or night rather than use inclusive mobile minutes).  

Given the reasons for the price changing (a euphemism for increasing), I find it had to know why I am paying and extra £3.49/month.

From the blurb....

The new Virgin Media WiFi app is here on iOS.
We've now teamed up with The Cloud and Arqiva to give you thousands of WiFi hotspots nationwide. Our new app automatically connects you to secure hotspots in places like airports, cafes and high streets. Download and register now on your iOS device (it's available on Android™ soon).
Not needed
All the football, brilliantly brought together.
Only we bring you all the live Premier League games from both Sky Sports and BT Sport in one package. That's 14 more Premier League games than last season. Plus with BT Sport we've got every live televised UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League game.
Don't have football
We're rolling out improved Virgin TV.
We're updating your TiVo® box to include our amazing new Series Link+, which will save whole series, record live TV and find shows on demand in places like Netflix and Catch Up. This service is unique to our customers, so if you haven't got it yet, it'll be with you soon.
Series Link + is little different to Series Link
The fastest widely available broadband around.
We're proud to have the UK's fastest widely available broadband. Our super reliable network offers speeds of up to 200Mbps - that's more than twice as fast as BT's and Sky's top speeds. And with unlimited downloads you can stream, game and much more, even at peak times.
Only need 50 Mbps

Peace of mind is built into all our packages  With inclusive servicing and repairs, you can relax knowing if your kit needs to be repaired or replaced we'll take care of it without charging you a penny - unlike Sky who charges £65 for call-outs once your Sky+ box is out of warranty.

mmm, I am sure I have paid for the equipment many times over, I don't have an option to pay for it .

arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

coedput wrote:

Same old story.Big Companies do not reward faithfull customers

I am not particularly faithful nor loyal (though I did join NTL back in 2003) and don't expect any reward, but I don't know why they increase the prices to encourage me to go elsewhere .  Up until yesterday I was paying for Sports, Movies, XL and an extra box.  Now I got shot of all of them.  Virgin get less from me and I will spend more with Now TV, Amazon et al.  Just debating whether or not to use the recent price increase to cancel everything.