Menu
EllisHannah
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Price Increase - Am I able to get out of contract

Hello,

I hope someone can help. Due to the price increase, I would like to get out of my contract and was wondering if anyone knows if there is a cooling off period?

I've been with Virgin for under two years now and have enjoyed multiple price hikes and don't think it's fair when I have signed a contract at £24.99 for twelve months and within 6 months it has gone up to £31.00. I also think it's unfair that new customers are enjoying TiVo, Broadband and Phone for the grand total of £30.25.

If someone could advise of the best way to put this across to Virgin then it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, calling them has had no effect and I'm fed up of their nonsence excuses.

Thank you in advance.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Price Increase - Am I able to get out of contract

You have a right to cancel with no penalty as long as you do within 30 days of getting the price rise letter. It is explained in the latter or e-mail.

Phone again.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

EllisHannah wrote:

I hope someone can help. Due to the price increase, I would like to get out of my contract and was wondering if anyone knows if there is a cooling off period?
30 days from the personal receipt of notification about the price increase, either by letter or by email. If that time period passes, then you will have to pay an early disconnection fee.

If someone could advise of the best way to put this across to Virgin then it would be greatly appreciated. Also, calling them has had no effect and I'm fed up of their nonsence excuses.
You have to call in and go with option 4 -> Option 5 from the menu give notice. Between the hours of 8AM to 8PM M-F and 8AM to 6PM Sa. Or give notice via writing in, to this address: Virgin Media, PO Box 333, Matrix Court, Swansea, SA7 9ZJ

Only do this if you're still within the 30 day window that the price increase notification gives or if you don't care about paying an early disconnection fee.

______
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
Addams Family Version-2.jpg
EllisHannah
Joining in
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. I don't have an email or letter, would you happen to know when customers were told?

Kind regards,

Ellis
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

EllisHannah wrote:

Thanks for the advice. I don't have an email or letter, would you happen to know when customers were told?

People weren't getting the email or letters at the same time, it was staggered. In the event of not having received one, customer services would have to look into your account. On their screen they can see a tick box to see if a send of this price notification has been attempted for the particular customer calling in. Take it from there depending on what they say.

+Add: If they say a send was attempted, I suppose you could argue that you're still eligible for price rise cancellation.

______
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Dave606
Fibre optic
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Slightly puzzled, op has been a customer for under 2 years yet is some 6 months into a 12 month contract!.  I'm guessing they are aware or the situation and negotiated a retentions deal due to a past price rise to be part way through a 12 month contract?.  And only now, after price has taken affect and been billed for are they not happy with what they are paying against new customer offers and looking at options after I assume there cancellation notice period has expired?.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Dave606 wrote:

Slightly puzzled, op has been a customer for under 2 years yet is some 6 months into a 12 month contract!.  I'm guessing they are aware or the situation and negotiated a retentions deal due to a past price rise to be part way through a 12 month contract?.  And only now, after price has taken affect and been billed for are they not happy with what they are paying against new customer offers and looking at options after I assume there cancellation notice period has expired?.

If the customer had re-negotiated their deal very recently before the price hit (like 2 months ago or less) a price rise increase letter wouldn't go out in some cases. In this case the same may have happened to the OP, despite their deal being older than that. The customer is still running with a pre-prise-rise deal and shouldn't be refused the right to cancel without penalty as other customers have been getting.

A staff member on their end would see on their screen that no price rise notification went out in that situation (but it should have.)

______
0 Kudos
Dave606
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ah, a reasonable point to make I guess & maybe what has happened.  But it's also worth pointing out that in the past customers already on a retentions deal (as previously confirmed from forum staff\mods) are supposedly protected from any price rises excluding line rental.  So just wandering if this is still the case or when such a policy was ended?.  As in thinking, when we negotiated our deal near 2 weeks ago I recall even then being told our retentions deal is protected from price rises so something is seriously wrong or customers are being miss informed!.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Dave606 wrote:

But it's also worth pointing out that in the past customers already on a retentions deal (as previously confirmed from forum staff\mods) are supposedly protected from any price rises excluding line rental.
I've personally found that to be the opposite and been told that they aren't protected. I'm on a retentions deal (runs until about July 2017) and my price has gone up by the amount specified for a broadband only customer

______
0 Kudos
Dave606
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

My point exactly, as we was on a retentions deal myself yet found myself liable for the full price rise above the line rental despite being told otherwise.  Yet was definitely told upon our new deal we was told protected from price rises for the duration.  Maybe an awkward situation for forum staff to comment on, but checking certain private messages from the past and checking previous subject posts, does clearly state retentions deals are supposed to be price rise protected excluding line rental rises.