Menu
thecathouse
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Out of Contract - but charged termination fee

So I am outside the contacted period and, due to lack of use, decided to terminate the TV element of my package. I had to give 30 days notice (understandable) for the change to take effect and my new bill would now be £51 per month. Still steep but only decent broadband around here.

My concern is that I have received an email confirming the change but I have been charged a one-off fee of £3 for "Contract Termination". Firstly I haven't terminated my contract, I am out of the contract period, and in any case have only removed one element of my package. Secondly I was not told about this charge and I am sure I would not or could not be charged if I terminated the whole package.

The account details have not changed, just removed one element of the package and I should not be penalised for doing so without advance notice, I did not agree to this charge because I was not aware of this charge.

Surely this can't be right, I have fulfilled the obligations under my contract (quite some time ago) and, apart from giving the 30 days notice, I should not be penalised in this way.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Out of Contract - but charged termination fee

You certainly shouldn't be charged a 'Contract Termination' fee for cancelling the TV element of your package - as you are outside of your contract period.

I would recommend you give their retentions (loyalty) department a call to discuss this.  They are UK based and I'm sure they will be able to get this resolved for you.

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It would be the same telephone number but choose the option that you are wanting/thinking of leaving (I think it is option 4 or 5).  That gets you through to the UK based team.

-

If I have helped please feel free to give 'Kudos' by clicking on the thumbs up icon against any of my posts. If I have helped to solve an issue you can also click on the 'Mark As Helpful Answer' link to mark it as helpful.

All Replies
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

You certainly shouldn't be charged a 'Contract Termination' fee for cancelling the TV element of your package - as you are outside of your contract period.

I would recommend you give their retentions (loyalty) department a call to discuss this.  They are UK based and I'm sure they will be able to get this resolved for you.

-

thecathouse
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that - is there a specific number I should call? I went through the 150 drama to remove it yesterday and took almost 30 minutes all in.

0 Kudos
backtothefuture
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It would be the same telephone number but choose the option that you are wanting/thinking of leaving (I think it is option 4 or 5).  That gets you through to the UK based team.

-

thecathouse
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, finally got it resolved and got £3 credited to my account - go me. Still would have been cheaper to leave and just get my wife to sign up as new customer but hey ho, just apparently signed up for another 12 months as this is now technically a new contract.