Menu
Jlilford
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No cancellation fee

A few weeks ago I phoned up Virgin and spoke to an initially helpful woman called Liz. We are cancelling our contract (as we are moving and cannot transfer) and after saying that our contract price has increased so we should therefore not pay a cancellation fee, Liz agreed and confirmed that there would be no cancellation fee, just the final month's bill.

I received no confirmation from Liz despite her saying that we would receive an email so I contacted Virgin today via live chat. They confirmed that the contract has been cancelled but that there IS a cancellation fee we have to pay. The lady on the chat (Belle) said that she could not assist in this instance as it was Liz who I spoke to previously. Liz is due to call me to discuss the situation later today.

It seems as if Liz has lied to me on the phone, she assured me there would be no cancellation fee and when I explicitly asked her to confirm this she agreed and said she would send me an email.

Where do I stand now? I had verbal confirmation that I will incur no fee and now I am due to move out next week and I am going to have to pay? I think I will need to make a formal complaint about being misled by Virgin staff.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: No cancellation fee

Legally you made a commitment to have those services for a fixed time. So the early disconnection fees should apply.

The contract price increase only gives you leeway to leave within the 14 days that it happened, so November, as thats passed the period to leave for free has gone.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Jlilford
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your reply. That is understandable but I don't understand why I was explicitly told on the phone that there would be no fee - Liz has still not called me back either.

What other processes do I have to escalate this now?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Do you have a recording of the promise?

And was it; how do I say it, offshore support?

0 Kudos
Jlilford
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No I don't have a recording but wish I did... I couldn't tell where she was from, she spoke fluently and politely. I just can't believe that Virgin would allow that kind of service - as she confirmed the end of the contract I will cancel the direct debit and send a formal letter of complaint. I don't see any other option at this stage, and I still have not received a call as arranged.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Just be warned, cancelling the direct debit outright without any confirmation will end up with VM having you as a debt defaulter and it will hit your credit score.

If you are sending a letter of complaint, also send it recorded so you have proof it's arrived.

Complaints,
Virgin Media,
PO Box 333,
Matrix Court,
Swansea,
SA7 9ZJ.

0 Kudos