Menu
RetroSteveUK
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

No Itemisation On Bill

Below is a screenshot of my bill which shows the total cost, but I have no way whatsoever of finding out how much each of these individual services cost.  From the customer perspective, this feels like the wool being pulled over my eyes (just my opinion but it's how I feel).

virginbill.jpg

I need this information in order to compare the prices of Virgin services with other companies. Also, I cannot tell if I'm saving or losing out by having evening and weekend phone calls, for example. We hardly ever dial out on the landline - we use the mobiles which are free at all hours.

This lack of information is pushing me towards cancelling services just to see how much difference it makes to the bill.  Is there any way I can get this information?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: No Itemisation On Bill

VM's predecessor (NTL) used to do this. The problem is the discounting structure means that no-one is on standard pricing. This then changes every year dependant on a lot of factors. This caused so much confusion that it was scrapped & the current billing system bought in. You can phone the billing department up or use online chat (this cannot be discussed through the Forum for security reasons), but even they do not see a breakdown of the costs.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Virgin Media bundle services together, so there isn't a set price per service. Your services cost the price they do because of not only the core services you have (BB, TV, Phone), but what tier they are on (Full House, VIVID 100 etc). Change the tier or remove a class of service and the price calculation between the remaining services could change.

Most providers quote an all in one price for their services now, it's not just Virgin Media that do this. After a recent ASA ruling, these sales prices now also include the cost of the line rental.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

VM's predecessor (NTL) used to do this. The problem is the discounting structure means that no-one is on standard pricing. This then changes every year dependant on a lot of factors. This caused so much confusion that it was scrapped & the current billing system bought in. You can phone the billing department up or use online chat (this cannot be discussed through the Forum for security reasons), but even they do not see a breakdown of the costs.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Virgin Media bundle services together, so there isn't a set price per service. Your services cost the price they do because of not only the core services you have (BB, TV, Phone), but what tier they are on (Full House, VIVID 100 etc). Change the tier or remove a class of service and the price calculation between the remaining services could change.

Most providers quote an all in one price for their services now, it's not just Virgin Media that do this. After a recent ASA ruling, these sales prices now also include the cost of the line rental.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
0 Kudos
RetroSteveUK
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like the only way to discover the price of individual services would be to cancel one of them, so that's what I'll do. I'm going to start by dropping the free evening and weekend calls, as we hardly ever use the landline. Once I've seen how much difference it makes to the bill I'll go forward with other cuts. Been thinking of dropping the TV package and going with NowTV - that's worth a try to see how much my Virgin TV package is costing.

Thanks for the advice, guys.

0 Kudos
DABhand
Super solver
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Doesn't work like that, for example, if you were to say cancel your phone, the price of your broadband and TV would go up.

It is silly yes, and it is a way for you to keep your Phone, VM reps are taught to promote that they are doing you a favour by bundling everything, but if you don't need a phone and try to remove it to keep costs down, they return you with a price that is worse than not keeping the phone.

And to be honest I hate that about VM.

Which is why some people like Sky they have set prices for each service. So you know what you are paying exactly, and not everything is under a huge cancellation fee with Sky either, something that VM doesn't do. (only the phone and broadband is).

Majide!
0 Kudos
RetroSteveUK
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

So basically, whatever we do we're still being bent over?  

I'll try dropping the evening and weekend 'free' calls, but if that makes no difference, full cancellation is the only option left:

Freeview with a sweet DVR box, NowTV subscription, BT landline, and a different broadband company. There's no way those'll amount to £80 per month (once the initial cost of the DVR box is taken out of the equation).

Thanks again for the advice.

0 Kudos