Menu
GaryBee
Joining in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

New customers Vs Loyal customers

I guess I'm not the first or the last to be coming on here with a first post which is a complaint and moan

I have been with cable as it was originally Cable and Wireless, then Nynex, the NTL and Now Virgin, so over 20 years

I have just moved address and requested to transfer to VM at my new address. It was at this point I actually realised how much I was now paying and that over the years it had creeped up and up to £55 per month

I was told the only way I could reduce the cost was by losing what I have but they could add a few more channels and bump my speed from 70 to 100mb

Oh, and they wanted a £20 admin charged for moving, when I actually queried what this charge was for andwhat VM did for this fee there was a silence, some music and then to be told I don't need to pay that!

3 days ago I moved so have had lots on my mind but today I got a copy of an electronic contract to sign. On reading what I now had for £55 I compared with the website and particularly the new customer deals

Why am I being taken for a mug?
Why have I been told I need to sign a new contract for 12 months but I am an old customer
Why is it that if I had closed my account and opened a new one at the new address I would be so much better off?

So i decided to call virgin media today, spoke to customer relations who then put me through to sales who then put me through to customer relations. I asked for retentions to be told Customer relations were the same now

I was looking for a better deal, ideally something on par with a new customer deal

I was told I could cancel my phone line to save £7 as I don't use it

By someone else I was told cancelling my phone makes it more expensive but they could give me a loyalty discount of £7 per month coincidentally

I'd been told I could have the"fun tv" package by sales to be told that wasn't possible by customer relations as they were the only ones able to do upgrades and they couldn't give me an upgrade and to reduce costs could only be done via a downgrade

Do companies not realise just how much this sort of inconsistency between departments, customers and new and old customers really make their bread and butter customers feel like total mugs taken for granted

I was going to write to complain but it takes 28 days and I only have 11 left to cancel

Virgin media does not accept email complaints so it will be on the phone again n tomorrow

Oh and if I cancel now at my new address, where I haven't signed a contract and I simply terminate my contract from my old address I then have to wait 3 months as fm has been live at this address despite there being no contract in place

All I wanted was to be treated like a valued customer rather than a mug

jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: New customers Vs Loyal customers

I think you have answered your own question, your better off doing a hard cancel and signing up as a new customer, for all the years I've been on this forum i've never heard of the "3 month rule" being enforced

GaryBee
Joining in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Most likely will, pain in the backside regards email. Had been meaning to stop using it and it's the only thing that ties me to them but how they've made me feel I'm not interested. I've got a community to aerial hear so my look at why's on freeview no freeview recorders etc and a seperate broadbnd deal

Just getting a few things in order before I phone to complain - and either get what I want or terminate my contract after over 20 years so well done VM
0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I am always puzzled by the use of the word loyal in relation to a telco.  It's a bit like being loyal to a supermarket.  The only reason I am loyal (14 years since ITV digital went under) is that I call to downgrade everything to bare bones when my offer ends and then after a bit of negotiation end up with more or less what I had previously for the same price.  It's a game. You can get better than the new customers get if you decide to leave or do a radical downgrade.

Ultimately it costs Virgin more to get a new customer, so they will make offers you can't refuse.  And if they don't, there are plenty of others providing similar services for less than the advertised prices.  Ultimately it is in Virgin Media's interest to reduce churn and keep up the ARPU.   I have XL TV + Sports + movies + talk more anyrtime + SuperFibre 50.  Adding it all up (including extras like Premier Sports when I want it) I pay around £800-£900/annum to Virgin Media, which is less than I would pay as a new customer, but nice easy money for them to just leave some cables going into my house.  And should I ever leave, it will be a lot easier for them to get the next occupant to sign up with everything in place.

0 Kudos
tonyworks
Up to speed
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Just a thought if you leave can you then tell them to take up and remove all the cable on your property. Explain that after they have removed all the cable they would then need to replace it for a new customer. If I am no longer a customer I would not want their cable in my garden. Could you charge them to remove it?

Tony

jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Virgin may remove all the cabling for a £99 call out fee, they wont do it for free
0 Kudos
tonyworks
Up to speed
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Can you cut it and take it up yourself?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

tonyworks wrote:

Can you cut it and take it up yourself?

It's not yours to cut up and remove - everything from the boxes upstream to the street cabinets and beyond is VM's property.

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos
tonyworks
Up to speed
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Interesting, but if you are no longer a virgin customer, they have no right in leaving their cable on your property, after all it is usually just under the earth (in my case its about 4 inches under and I have to ensure that I don't dig it up by mistake.

Thanks for your help and advice

Tony

Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

There will likely be something in your contract which permits it to remain as an installed utility, but that's more bedtime reading than I fancy doing atm!

TV: XL+SkySports V6
BB: 200Mbps SuperHub: Arris
Loc: ME10
    Please use the Search feature before starting a new thread
To thank or if you Like a post, use the Kudos +button. If it's an answer to your query, click Options.
Finally, if all else fails, take a deep breath and remember there's more to life than the internet and TV!
0 Kudos