Menu
Padster1001
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

New contract for downgrading services?

I recently received a monthly bill for £125 for my services so I've decided (at last) to downgrade. I'm paying for sky sports & racing channels that I rarelyrics watch as I work away Monday to Friday.  Also, since the kids have grown up & left home I no longer need (or want) top broadband. I'm sure this is a scenario many people encounter. 

Anyway, I finally got around to ringing to downgrade. My 'basic' package is top TV, talk weekends, and basic broadband. Sport and increased broadband were upgraded on a one month notice deal (or so I thought). That is until I tried to downgrade today, only to be told that in order to do that I'd need to sign up for a new contract? How can this be right? I've been a customer of virgin/ntl for over ten years, and have an existing contract that I've chosen to upgrade previously. There's never been any mention of a new contract when I want to add services, but now there is when I decide to downgrade. Is this a problem anyone else has encountered I wonder?

This presents a problem for me.......and virginmedia........ because if I have to enter a new contract, there are much better deals out there for new customers with other providers. Of course, I'm not a new customer of virginmedia, so no such offers exist. I'm a much less valued customer........a loyal, high value bill paying customer. 

0 Kudos
Padster1001
Joining in
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: New contract for downgrading services?

Just to be clear, I was hoping to remove sky sports & racing channels, which I'd previously upgraded to and downgrade broadband to basic 50meg. TV & phone were remaining the same.

I've just received a welcome badge from virginmedia. Whoopee! I wonder if they'll be sending me a goodbye badge when I change provider, because it's definitely on the cards!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Padster1001,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you here in the Community Smiley Happy

Apologies to hear that you're wanting to downgrade your services with us. If you're not making the most of the ones you have then it makes sense to downgrade them so you can make the most of them.

In terms of new contracts, these are required whenever a new package is entered in to. Whether this be due to a loyalty discount or whether because you're going on to a new package with a new contractual agreement. 

If you don't want to enter in to a new contract then we can take a look at what options are available for you. Give the team another call on 150 / 0345 454 1111 and they will be able to see what can be done. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
ccseac
Just joined
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi.....

I have also just downgraded my internet as part of my non-contractual package and then was sent a new 12month contract.

I down graded because the internet was/is pour and have never got a good service or near to the download speed.

Why do I have to enter a contract after I down grade, after suffering a pour service for a previous contract. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

because you have changed the service. Any chances to services start a new contract. Upgrades or downgrades with the exception of Extra TV channels like Sports or movies that are 30 day notice to change.
0 Kudos