Menu
conorf199
Tuning in
Message 1 of 30
Flag for a moderator

New Installation/construction delays!

I am having a few issues with installation and wanted to see if anyone else has experienced the same.

I recently moved to a new house and knew that it couldn't get Virgin or fibre from any other provider, and had issues with speeds, so I made some enquiries into getting Virgin to my new street (the surrounding area can get it). In early January I got some phone calls and was told there seemed to be good enough demand to do it and signed the contract etc. I was told it would take up to 3 months beacuse the construction team would be busy after christmas.

I was given an installation date of 31st March and when this day came I knew nobody would show as the construction team hadn't been (although there was a notice on roadworks .org stating they would have). However nobody told me they wouldnt show and only when I went on to the online track my order did I see that the installation date had been updated to TBC, and has been since.

The construction team came to my street beginning of last week, and this is the part I find confusing they dug up the other side of the streets pavement to mine and didn't go as far as the house on the other side that also had a green arrow outside it. With my installation date still TBC I phoned Virgin and was told they had tried to contact me on the 29th March (they hadn't) and that there was a 'construction issue' he couldn't tell me what this is and that they said it could take 4-6 weeks to resolve. My confusion here is what where they doing 4-5 April only a few days after they had realised there would be a construction issue? I still can't set an installation date online so I assume this virgin construction work was a completely seperate job.

Anyway my question is if anyone has come across 'construction issues' and had these delays and actually got virgin in the end? I've read on other pages that they kept coming back with construction issues and would just wait 4 weeks and say it again! Is it best to just give up and move on?

Sorry for the long post!

Helpful Answers
George507927
Tuning in
Message 7 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: New Installation/construction delays!

I’m having the same problem.  Right at my doorstep –just over a metre from the wall is a manhole with CATV on it and I was told that installation shouldn’t be a problem.  Someone came along and painted a green line from that manhole to the wall on the left hand side of my door before the installation date.

My installation was scheduled for the 20th of April and the evening before I received a telephone call to say there would be a delay due to “construction issues”.  The caller informed me a letter with more information would be sent – I’m still waiting.

Then on the 20th three vans from Virgin appeared and the technicians began installing my broadband and phone line.  They installed the cable underground to the wall then up through existing trunking which ran up the wall on the right hand side of my door.  There was no need for them to dig up the pavement as the conduit was already there.

After it appeared to be completed, one of the technicians told me that they had done the job by mistake and had to go somewhere else but all that was required was for the broadband to be activated and he would return the following day to do that.  He didn’t return.

I have contacted Virgin several times and spent some considerable time on hold while I am fobbed off from one department to another.  What I am being told is that my broadband can’t be installed without permission from the local council to dig up the pavement.  When I tell them that the cables seem to have been installed without any digging, I am told they will check with the construction team and then get back to me ASAP.  After nearly three weeks, I am still waiting for some sort of response.

Last Wednesday, I came home from work to find that someone had dug up the pavement following the path of the green line from the manhole to the wall at the left side of my door.  But, of course, no information from Virgin as to what is happening and when I can expect to be online.

I’m really regretting going with Virgin, their customer service is a joke.  It's pretty obvious that there is very poor communication between different departments and between them and the customer.

0 Kudos
Jpeee2
Tuning in
Message 8 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have been having the same issues with construction work.  Told it would be 4-6 weeeks, chased up several times and told all was good.

My planned installation was today, I noticed on the 16th May my online account moved to tbc.  Phoned up and was told that the contractors who Virgin used cancelled my construction work and will probably been another 4-6 weeks (as work requires local authority approval).  I am now 8 weeks into this order!

No one contacted me to inform me the appointment has been cancelled and today have received a text message to ensure I am in as the engineer is coming.  Not sure why when there is nothing to connect!

I was given the following free phone number (no good when on mobile) which is for the construction team if you need to talk to them direct as they maybe able to provide more info:

0345 045 0595 opt 3

I am sticking with this order as the only other broadband providers require a BT connection.  I moved into my property in January and BT Openreach did nothing to get anything installed which is why I ended up coming to Virgin as they promised a 4-6 week turnaround (even though that has not happened).  All the broadband companies are just as bad as each other as far as I am concerned.

If you really want to escalate and have your complaint properly look at I was advised to write a letter to the follow (they only accpet letters, no emails or phonecalls)

Virgin Media Ltd, Customer Concern Team, PO BOX 33, Matrix Court, Swansea, SA7 9BB

Advised to put account reference number on all pages of the letter so that if they get seperated then they can be linked up again later (concerns me that this could happen!)

Hope you get your broadband soon

0 Kudos

All Replies
louishen
Joining in
Message 2 of 30
Flag for a moderator

I am in the same boat, promised installation missed because nobody had run the line from the pavement to the house.

I have tried contacting the pre installation team twice. Once they said they would get back to me, they  didn't. Second they put me on hold while they contacted the construction team, only for the original indian callcentre person to bump my call to the uk, without doing any chasing up.

I am starting to regret ever signing up the Virgin Media, there sales team are great, support is insulting.

0 Kudos
conorf199
Tuning in
Message 3 of 30
Flag for a moderator

That's my main worry that I wait 4 weeks call again and find that nothing has changed since, and 4 weeks is a long time considering it's been 3 months already.

0 Kudos
KevinS1
Joining in
Message 4 of 30
Flag for a moderator

This is identical to the way Virgin have dealt with me, they have made many promises, even came out and painted in green the route of the new cable (which has now faded in the weather), but after waiting 6 weeks nothing has happened and now they are getting harder to contact. There are only a row of 6 houses in our street that cannot receive this cable so when they ran in the new stuff this would have been an ideal opportunity for them, at minimal cost, but they decided not to. So now, if they ever decide to run the cable to the 6 houses, the cost will be higher. I know that at least 4 of our houses would jump to join Virgin if this cable was available so it is a loss to them, obviously they do not need any new customers!

0 Kudos
conorf199
Tuning in
Message 5 of 30
Flag for a moderator

As an update, I was just told my installation date is the 21/05 (7.5 weeks after the original). However this isn't reflected in the track orders of my account where it still says TBC. I was reassured that the construction team will contact me when the construction issue is resolved. I very much doubt this as they never bothered to contact me about the issue in the first place and the customer service rep kept stating they would have contacted me even though I said they hadn't.

It just feels as though the construction team aren't anywhere near doing this work and the 21/05, even though a decent time away, is still hopeful at best.

0 Kudos
conorf199
Tuning in
Message 6 of 30
Flag for a moderator

Still no nearer and still showing TBC. I phoned again a few days ago and managed to get through to the construction team. The person who answered seemed really helpful and she explained what I had been told 3/4 weeks earlier (the last time I contacted customer services) that they had asked the contractors some questions relating to measurements and were waiting on them to get back. This seems ridiculous that you'd wait so long for a response without a follow up! She said she'd chase it up and call me back, this was about 3 days ago now and I have no hope that I will get a call back. It seems that virgin have too many departments and none of them know what the other is doing. 

0 Kudos
George507927
Tuning in
Message 7 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I’m having the same problem.  Right at my doorstep –just over a metre from the wall is a manhole with CATV on it and I was told that installation shouldn’t be a problem.  Someone came along and painted a green line from that manhole to the wall on the left hand side of my door before the installation date.

My installation was scheduled for the 20th of April and the evening before I received a telephone call to say there would be a delay due to “construction issues”.  The caller informed me a letter with more information would be sent – I’m still waiting.

Then on the 20th three vans from Virgin appeared and the technicians began installing my broadband and phone line.  They installed the cable underground to the wall then up through existing trunking which ran up the wall on the right hand side of my door.  There was no need for them to dig up the pavement as the conduit was already there.

After it appeared to be completed, one of the technicians told me that they had done the job by mistake and had to go somewhere else but all that was required was for the broadband to be activated and he would return the following day to do that.  He didn’t return.

I have contacted Virgin several times and spent some considerable time on hold while I am fobbed off from one department to another.  What I am being told is that my broadband can’t be installed without permission from the local council to dig up the pavement.  When I tell them that the cables seem to have been installed without any digging, I am told they will check with the construction team and then get back to me ASAP.  After nearly three weeks, I am still waiting for some sort of response.

Last Wednesday, I came home from work to find that someone had dug up the pavement following the path of the green line from the manhole to the wall at the left side of my door.  But, of course, no information from Virgin as to what is happening and when I can expect to be online.

I’m really regretting going with Virgin, their customer service is a joke.  It's pretty obvious that there is very poor communication between different departments and between them and the customer.

0 Kudos
Jpeee2
Tuning in
Message 8 of 30
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I have been having the same issues with construction work.  Told it would be 4-6 weeeks, chased up several times and told all was good.

My planned installation was today, I noticed on the 16th May my online account moved to tbc.  Phoned up and was told that the contractors who Virgin used cancelled my construction work and will probably been another 4-6 weeks (as work requires local authority approval).  I am now 8 weeks into this order!

No one contacted me to inform me the appointment has been cancelled and today have received a text message to ensure I am in as the engineer is coming.  Not sure why when there is nothing to connect!

I was given the following free phone number (no good when on mobile) which is for the construction team if you need to talk to them direct as they maybe able to provide more info:

0345 045 0595 opt 3

I am sticking with this order as the only other broadband providers require a BT connection.  I moved into my property in January and BT Openreach did nothing to get anything installed which is why I ended up coming to Virgin as they promised a 4-6 week turnaround (even though that has not happened).  All the broadband companies are just as bad as each other as far as I am concerned.

If you really want to escalate and have your complaint properly look at I was advised to write a letter to the follow (they only accpet letters, no emails or phonecalls)

Virgin Media Ltd, Customer Concern Team, PO BOX 33, Matrix Court, Swansea, SA7 9BB

Advised to put account reference number on all pages of the letter so that if they get seperated then they can be linked up again later (concerns me that this could happen!)

Hope you get your broadband soon

0 Kudos
khradula
Joining in
Message 9 of 30
Flag for a moderator

same problem here. been waiting for 3 months now. i was suppose to have the installation today but no one turned up... i had the construction team a couple weeks here on my house and i thought the block problem was sorted. so i went to the store to book another date and they told it was everything ok. booked for today and no one told that the problem is still there, no one told me about today. and i had a text message this morning confirming the installation and no one turned up or had contacted me,  I've called the customer service and they told me its gonna be up to another 6 weeks... this is a completely joke...

0 Kudos
conorf199
Tuning in
Message 10 of 30
Flag for a moderator

So, as was updated 4 weeks ago, I was expecting a call back from the construction team once the contracters got back to them. This never happened. On Tuesday 31/05/16 I phoned again for an update, because I'm now even getting adverts through the door claiming my street has an offer on etc. even though I know I can't get it yet! Anyway I got through to the construction team where I was told they were waiting for a response back from the contracters having asked them for more information!! This has been over 4 weeks and they haven't responded, I was told the same 'I'll ask again and call you back in a few days'.

This is becoming ridiculous, how long does it take to respond to an email and why do Virgin media not care? It appears to me that the contracters came to my street to install the cable, decided there was an issue and gave some brief information to Virgin media. At which point Virgin media asked for a bit more information and they never bothered chasing this up when they didn't get a response and decided to just leave me out of any communication. 

It's been almost half a year now since I signed up and was warned that it may take as long as 3 months. At least I get free virgin media tv anywhere Smiley Wink If only I had decent broadband!