Menu
sunson
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

New Customer in a property with existing former account

Hi
apologies for the long post, but the problem is complicated.
I recently moved to a new place ( throug a letting agency) .
The former tenant had a virgin media broadband only service, and the service was still working when I moved in.
I called Virgin media to setup my own account, they said they will need the former account holder of the property to cancel their account in order for me to setup for a new account. To make long story short that did not work.
then Virgin media called me and said they can file a request to cancel the former account since the account holder no longer live in the property. So I went through with it.
As the former account will end in 7 november they said they will setup my new account on 8th november ( I dont understand why we have to wait though).
After I verified that the service will not be cut I Agreed.
inly to find out that indeed the service wad cut.
calling customer service they kept me on hold for over 40 minutes and after explaining the issue for a couple of staff members the last one explained that there is nothing we can. But I should try to call and activate my account tomorrow and that might work.
I'm extremely disappointed because of this problem. I don't think the account will be activated before November the 7th and that means 2 weeks without any internet connection.
I'm really regretting my decision to stay with Virgin media as I think chabging the provider would not have caused this issue.
is there anything I can do to sort out this problem without having to spend 2 weeks without internet ?
thank you for reading through
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: New Customer in a property with existing former account

Hi sunson, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

Not to sound blunt here however the internet connection you are using wasn't yours to begin with so therefore we wouldn't be able to get this back online for you without speaking with the account holder as they are the ones who would be charged. 

When we are swapping services over from one customer to another, there would be a 24 hour gap. This is because we're not able to provide 2 connections to one address simultaneously. I know this can be inconvenient however it's a part of the process. 

Since posting have you been able to get your connection up and running or are you still waiting on this? 

Come back and let us know. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
sunson
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

HI Kath

Thank you for your response. 

A 24 hour gap can be understandable, however, 14 days gap is not.

I know the internet connection in the property was not mine to begin with, however, it is not my fault that the connection was there, and I should not be punished because of that. I tried to sort things out as soon as I moved to the property.

I still don't have an internet connection at the property, not a broadband one anyway, as I understand there is no way the connection can be setup without a 14 days gap, which is in my opinion totally ridiculous.

they say that this period is a part of the contract with the previous owner (of the account), so practically the previous owner is still  controlling the connection despite the fact that they are not living in the property anymore.

I'm hugely disappointed with the way Virgin media is handling this problem, especially that I was told there will be no gap in the service.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi sunson, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this. 

Usually the only gap needed is a 24 hour one. I'm not sure why you've been told a 14 day gap is needed. 

The only thing that would explain that is if the previous customer was just waiting out their notice period. As the services aren't working though this can't be it. 

Have you received new equipment from us yet? If so, try activating it now. This should allow the connection to be restored. 

Let us know how it goes. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
sunson
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi kath
thank you for your response.
The service was still working untill I placed a request to creata new account in the property. They said the 14 days gap is necessary to make sure the old account holder does not live in the property anymore!
I did not receive the new equipment yet. They will be sent on Nov 7th. The same day of cancelling the old account and creating the new one.
I did speak to the team responsible for activation and asked to set forward the activation date of my account. But they said it is not possible to avtivate the account before cancelling the old one ie on Nov the 7th.
Regards
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi sunson

Thanks for getting back to us about this.

My apologies that this was not able to be connected any sooner for you. As a general rule, new customers moving in have to apply for services and would have to wait either for this to be installed or for us to get this connected for you via a self installation, so all our new customers have a certain period in time before we can get them connected.

For those that move in, we usually request that they advise us in advance and that allows us time to resolve situations like the one you have been in with the other customers connection preventing a connection for you.

We preferably like to have at least 2 weeks notice to make sure we can arrange this on the dates the customers want from us.

I appreciate you notified us when you moved in and they have had to arrange to close down this other persons broadband first but I just wanted to clarify that even as a customer moving into a property where no existing services were live, there may have been a delay. The more notice you give us the easier it is to arrange these requests for you.

I hope today’s delivery goes well. The activations number to call when this arrives to set up services is 0800 953 9500.

They are open till 8pm every weekday.

Keep us posted on how this goes for you.

Kind regards.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos