Menu
Mattychooski
Just joined
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Need to reduce our package costs

Hello there Virgin Media Community,

For reasons of family budget, we need to reduce the cost of our package. We currently have XL broadband & XL telephone which I need working from home and an XL TV package. As we are two working parents we don't watch TV very much if at all and we can definitely live without Sky Movies and Sky Sports. I have tried several times to explain this to VM's call centre team but they seem completely reluctant to help. It's a nightmare trying to get through the automated telephone system, I've spent upwards of 20 minutes on hold several times. I've tried to manage my package through myvirginmedia but cannot find an option to change our services. I'm grateful for any advice you can give me.

0 Kudos
dm999uk
Joining in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Need to reduce our package costs

Past experience tells me that the only way to get sensible help from VM is to place your 30 days cancellation notice if your outside of contract and then await somebody with a small fraction of common sense to call you on day 28 and offer you your current package at a discount.

Try explaining to VM that you want to reduce your monthly charges and you'll hit a brick wall or come out with a massively reduced service!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mattychooski,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great to have a new face on board even though the circumstances are less than perfect. Smiley Sad

With packages to suit many needs, now is the time to review your current line up and speak to our teams. There may be a package that suits you better and helps keep your costs down. 

To take a look at this it would be great if you could give our teams another call on 150 or 0345 454 1111 on option 1. They would be happy to help you get the best out of your services from us so you can continue to enjoy our great options and extras.

Something to note is usually any re-negotiation in price or service tiers leads to a new contract so be sure to listen out if it will be a 12 or 18 month one. The adviser will let you know this on the call.

Let me know how you get on and if you need anything else.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
KeithIrons
Just joined
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

It seems pretty apparent that Virgin are; like all broadband providers, happy to steadily the increase costs for anyone daft enough to show some loyalty through (and beyond) the term of a contract, but the pressure being applied by other providers is showing them to be a little more greedy. I have read offers from alternatives very carefully and it appears that even when taking the 'post-offer-period' increase, I could save a fortune over a three year term elsewhere.

Given that I have remarkably basic package with Virgin ie: I don't use the phone, I don't have any fancy TV subscriptions - so basically it's the broadband I'm here for - paying nearly sixty quid a month is just ridiculous !!!

Do I REALLY have to go through the process of buying into another deal elsewhere in order to get a better (returning) deal ?

My family all use the e-mail accounts, plus we have mobiles with virgin - the marketing team might suggest it's "common sense" to have all my communications in one place, but it simply isn't working for us and we don't really want to mess with it, so...

...do I give notice - or do Virgin take a moment to get their collectively complacent asses into gear ?

respectfully (and certainly seriously)

Keith

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

KeithIrons wrote:

It seems pretty apparent that Virgin are; like all broadband providers, happy to steadily the increase costs for anyone daft enough to show some loyalty through (and beyond) the term of a contract, but the pressure being applied by other providers is showing them to be a little more greedy. I have read offers from alternatives very carefully and it appears that even when taking the 'post-offer-period' increase, I could save a fortune over a three year term elsewhere.

Given that I have remarkably basic package with Virgin ie: I don't use the phone, I don't have any fancy TV subscriptions - so basically it's the broadband I'm here for - paying nearly sixty quid a month is just ridiculous !!!

Do I REALLY have to go through the process of buying into another deal elsewhere in order to get a better (returning) deal ?

My family all use the e-mail accounts, plus we have mobiles with virgin - the marketing team might suggest it's "common sense" to have all my communications in one place, but it simply isn't working for us and we don't really want to mess with it, so...

...do I give notice - or do Virgin take a moment to get their collectively complacent asses into gear ?

respectfully (and certainly seriously)

Keith

You can get a stand alone broadband pack for about £38 a month, just phone up select thinking of leaving us and asked to be reduced to that

0 Kudos
arrgee1991
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Mattychooski wrote:

We currently have XL broadband & XL telephone which I need working from home and an XL TV package. As we are two working parents we don't watch TV very much if at all and we can definitely live without Sky Movies and Sky Sports. I have tried several times to explain this to VM's call centre team but they seem completely reluctant to help. It's a nightmare trying to get through the automated telephone system, I've spent upwards of 20 minutes on hold several times.

20 minutes is not unusual.  Call 150 and ask to downgrade to Player TV, 100 MB vivid and talk more anytime.  Also cancel Sky Sports/Movies.  Any custmer service person can do this.

0 Kudos