Menu
cmcg2016
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

My mother has dementia but Virgin operator insists on a password or asking her security questions

My mother has dementia. I called customer services over a year ago and they cancelled the broadband but left the phone. Now she can't use the phone. I called to cancel the contract and the customer 'services' operator wouldn't speak to me because I don't know the telephone password. I have an online password which I set up to get the bills, but I can't cancel online. I have a legal power of attorney registered but apparently that's not good enough for Virgin who won't communicate with me unless I have the phone password. I was on hold for 25 mins, after repeated phone calls through the day which I gave up on. Only to be told that they can't do anything because of 'data protection' - not even put me through to someone more helpful or flexible. Last year I got hold of a sympathetic lady who understood the problem. 12 months later a stonewalling man. Is this progress?

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
jacmurphy
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: My mother has dementia but Virgin operator insists on a password or asking her security questions

They cant refuse you if you have power of attorney have you sent them a copy of your power of attorney and a letter requesting cancellation. I would say do that first. If they still do not play ball  cancel payment.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: My mother has dementia but Virgin operator insists on a password or asking her security quest...

Hi cmcg2016

I appreciate you getting in touch with us about the cancellation request for your mums phone line. I apologise that the process we have to close accounts down for customers who are unable to process this request themselves due to a medical condition, has caused you any inconvenience. I would like to thank you for taking the time to post about this via the forums and for joining us in the community.

In order to arrange this in cases where the person calling cannot quote the memorable word characters from the account that has been set up, we ask that the person acting on their behalf write into us to arrange this.

When you do so, if you could send us a copy of the LPA documentation, along with the cancellation letter request for your mum, we would backdate the notice for this to the date the letter is posted to us. If you could get this sent to us tomorrow then this would be notice taken from tomorrow for the notice that we take to close down accounts, which is normally 30 days.

If you could send the letter into us at the below address that would be great.

Customer Services, Virgin Media, PO Box 333, Matrix Court, Swansea, SA7 9ZJ.

Please keep in touch about this via the forums and if you need anything else, or further support with this, please just let me know.

Kind regards.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

All Replies
jacmurphy
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: My mother has dementia but Virgin operator insists on a password or asking her security questions

They cant refuse you if you have power of attorney have you sent them a copy of your power of attorney and a letter requesting cancellation. I would say do that first. If they still do not play ball  cancel payment.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: My mother has dementia but Virgin operator insists on a password or asking her security quest...

Hi cmcg2016

I appreciate you getting in touch with us about the cancellation request for your mums phone line. I apologise that the process we have to close accounts down for customers who are unable to process this request themselves due to a medical condition, has caused you any inconvenience. I would like to thank you for taking the time to post about this via the forums and for joining us in the community.

In order to arrange this in cases where the person calling cannot quote the memorable word characters from the account that has been set up, we ask that the person acting on their behalf write into us to arrange this.

When you do so, if you could send us a copy of the LPA documentation, along with the cancellation letter request for your mum, we would backdate the notice for this to the date the letter is posted to us. If you could get this sent to us tomorrow then this would be notice taken from tomorrow for the notice that we take to close down accounts, which is normally 30 days.

If you could send the letter into us at the below address that would be great.

Customer Services, Virgin Media, PO Box 333, Matrix Court, Swansea, SA7 9ZJ.

Please keep in touch about this via the forums and if you need anything else, or further support with this, please just let me know.

Kind regards.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

cmcg2016
Joining in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I managed to get the account closed by sending photocopies of the legal documents and a covering letter. However, since then she has received mail wanting her to sign up to Virgin, and a Virgin Media salesperson (go away April!) has been ringing her doorbell and leaving cards. It seems that Virgin's system assumes that my mother has moved out and is now trying to get the 'new' occupants to sign up. Please stop harassing vulnerable, confused, elderly people.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi cmcg2016,

Thanks for coming back to us and letting us know. 

We're really sorry to hear that your mum is still being asked to join Virgin Media. We have set her account to receive No Marketing but it can take up to 28 days to take affect. 

In terms of Sales Agents, they only have streets that can be cabled however once told they're not interested, won't bother you again. I have passed this over for feedback so the visits should stop too. 

Apologies once again. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos