Menu
MikeyMcG
Up to speed
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

My daughter is moving home - can she cancel her contract?

My daughter has broadband only in her student accommodation. She is moving home due to medical reasons and as we already have broadband, she won't be transferring her contract. Can she cancel her contract without penalisation?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: My daughter is moving home - can she cancel her contract?

There are certain cases where if the customer is terminally ill etc, their contract can be without penalty. I've no idea if that is the case for your daughter, but that's something you shouldn't post publicly about anyway.

That aside, on the run up to November there was the opportunity for any customer to cancel without having to pay an early disconnection fee. That opportunity has since passed. So if she's not terminal, then it's not likely she can avoid paying the early disconnection fee.

She should discuss the matter with the Customer Relations Team to see what can be done there for her, they can be contacted by ringing 0345 454 1111 from any phone / 150 from a VM phone -> Option 1 -> Verify your details when prompted for them -> (Choose from the menu) Option 4 -> Option 5. It is staffed between 8AM to 8PM M-F and 8AM to 6PM Sa.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi MikeyMcG,

Thanks for your post Smiley Happy

When your daughter signed up to a contract with us, she was agreeing for us to supply her with the services at that address for that time. As she's now moving, she is technically breaking the contract. 

You can speak to the team regarding the circumstances on why she's moving though as this could mean a smaller disconnection fee or a possible write off. You can speak to them on 150 / 0345 454 1111.

Let me know how the call goes.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

MikeyMcG
Up to speed
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info Kath. It's possible that one of the other students she is sharing with will take this on. If not, we'll speak to CS some time this week and see if they can do anything for her.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi MikeyMcG, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this. 

We do have an option of a Transfer Of Responsibility however the person taking over the contract would need to have been living there for 6 months. 

Speaking to the team will be the best thing as they can go through all your options. 

Don't forget to pop back here and let us know how you got on Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out