Menu
NEWBEE2
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Moving your router

Maybe not a question but never mind.
My signal is poor downstairs on my phone and tablet. I asked VM for the cost to move my router from upstairs to downstairs, -- answer £100.
Yes I use a wifi extended now which helps somewhat but still not brill.
I think that cost is a little high for maybe 20mins work.
Any thoughts??
0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Moving your router

Thanks for responding NEWBEE2,

I'm happy to hear that the reception has improved ever so slightly.

Please let me know if you'd like for me to take another look at the equipment, etc., for you.

Take care,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

£99 is the charge for a non-fault call out.

How much would a gas engineer charge to move a gas fire from one room to another?

Tradesmen are expensive these days.

0 Kudos
NEWBEE2
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Good morning Ernie C, I note your comment however I see no Comparison, Have a good day. Regards.

''How much would a gas engineer charge to move a gas fire from one room to another?''
=========================================================================
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi NEWBEE2,

Thanks for posting and I'm sorry to hear that your signal isn't the greatest for WiFi.

You can also try changing the wireless settings, to strengthen this type of connection.

I know the price isn't the greatest for relocation, however, as there are other means to improve WiFi, this is why it is seen as a chargeable special request order.

Thanks again,

Nat_J

0 Kudos
NEWBEE2
Tuning in
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Nat J, been there done that and got the 'T' shirt.
As the router is a stand alone plug in unit connected by a cable I obtained a length of cable with connecter. Unpluged the unit lengthend the cable via my extension reconnected the cable to the router. I was then able to reposition my router in an other area to obtain a slightly better reception. Total cost was about £7. Semi result.
Regards to all.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Fine if the cable & connectors are the correct spec for VM's cable services, which at that price I can guarantee they are not. Sub standard cables & connectors are notorious for introducing noise onto the local network which could affect all your neighbours BB & TV services. If you are found to be the source of the noise your bill could end up even bigger than calling VM out in the first place.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Thanks for responding NEWBEE2,

I'm happy to hear that the reception has improved ever so slightly.

Please let me know if you'd like for me to take another look at the equipment, etc., for you.

Take care,

Nat_J

arrgee1991
Well-informed
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

NEWBEE2 wrote:
My signal is poor downstairs on my phone and tablet. I asked VM for the cost to move my router from upstairs to downstairs, -- answer £100.
Yes I use a wifi extended now which helps somewhat but still not brill.
I think that cost is a little high for maybe 20mins work.
Any thoughts??

Put the router in the middle of the room, or a least don't hide it.  Use the 5G channel if you can.  There is a lot of interference on the 2G Channel, partuclarly if you live in a terrace and your neighbours have wifi.  Put the wifi extender in the hallway and keep the doors open.  Unless you live in Buckingham Palace the superhub will give a good signal, the only place I don't get a strong signal is in the loft thanks to all the steel in the floor, but the wifi extender works a treat.

Dlegg32
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

I have the super hub latest router in the back bedroom upstairs and have just installed a nest cam out the front of the house and keeps disconnecting and the error code is WiFi signal not strong enough and nest have recommended I move the router into the front bedroom nearer the cam will VM charge me for this? Surely the signal should strong enough to reach the front of the house!
0 Kudos
NEWBEE2
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Yip - they will charge, min of £100. Their wifi is not brill. Get some cable (sky type will do) and run a length to your other room. Worth a try. Good luck.
0 Kudos