Menu
sherylanddavid
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Moving to Non VM Covered Area - Stung with EDF for £240???

Having found the house of our dreams recently, we have begun the process of updating/cancelling services to give plenty of notice before we move. 

One of these services is Virgin Media. While we would love to have been able to take them with us, they unfortunately do not supply to the area we are moving to.

Having notified VM of this, I was then informed I will need to pay £240 for the convenience of leaving. While I was under no impression I was in the middle of a contract, I had called last year to reduce my services as we were looking to save money for Chritmas/wedding coming up this year by halving our bill. 

Having already paid for upfront fees in regards to estate agents, solicitors, home reports and other unexpected fee's. Not to mention the wedding we are saving for as well, this is money that we quite simply do not have. 

I have at no point verbally agreed to, or signed any paperwork to have been confirmed as joining a "new contract". Completely gutted at the idea of having to pay this fee, simply because I cant take VM with me. 

Such a lovely parting gift I must admit. 

Anyone been in the same situation?
(currently waiting on a manager call back within 72 hours)

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moving to Non VM Covered Area - Stung with EDF for £240???

hiya @sherylanddavid normally when you change any package/service this would trigger a new 12 month contract, best idea to have a chat with customer relations choosing option 1 - 5 - 4 (thinking of leaving us) they'll be able to check your contract status
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Quick correction (sorry @paultechy) - options 1,4,5.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
sherylanddavid
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I have had several chats with service reps in other countries and got nowhere.

Asked for a manager to call me back within the Uk last week and nobody got back to me within the 72 hour window I was quoted. Spoke to a "manager" earlier today from goodness knows where, they have no sympathy or understanding. I am very pleasant and direct but they are hopeless.

If I add on stuff, does that trigger a new contract? Because that's painfully awkward if it doesn't work for both ways and quite deceitful.

I didn't once agree to a new contract, sign anything or receive any paperwork announcing a new contract or I would have kept what I was on. Been a customer for 4 years, then 6 years before that at my dads house, through Telewest and NTL before that.

I want to take virginmedia with me but I can't. It's not fair.

Missold. Under played and under handed I feel utterly betrayed.

Your worth billions. I'm not stealing, I want a clean break and the chance to come back when our new area gets it. I won't be recommending your services to the neighbours, that's for sure, and I'll make sure they know this situation inside and out.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi sherrylanddavid

Thank you for taking the time to come to the forums about the Early Disconnection Fees

I understand that you have spoken to our teams about this. With respect to the contract change you mentioned in your post we would have at the time emailed a contract to the email we have on file as your contact email with us and this should have been sent to you within 24 hours of you changing the package at the time. The email contract should however have been sent to you but this may have defaulted to your spam or trash folders?

Most package changes now do re-contract our customers. Additionally it was noted that the new agreement was discussed with you at the time.

My apologies if this was not the case.

I can also see that a contract copy was recently requested for you. Please be aware this can take up to 10 days to arrive.

Please keep us posted on how this goes for you and if we can help out in any other way.

Kind regards.

Karen_A

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
sherylanddavid
Joining in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hello Karen,

Thanks for taking the time out to reply to this. It's been beyond a joke requesting a managers call back twice now and not once (after making sure my mobile number was included in the request to make no issues trying to contact me) receiving any word back via email or phone, like requested and told it would be within a "72 hour window". 

After my last time on the phone with someone, I received an email with a "copy contract" within, which I was told would be sent to me the week previously after another phone call, due to not receiving my first call back from an account manager. After scanning the document, it has no date from commencement and updates to the current days date (first accessed on 22nd of March). This is not right, as I think you would agree. It should be dated back to November, which is when I was told this first took place and looks infact to me a made up contract to cover someones butt, as it is not a copy of the original contract at all. I check my junk mail regularly and can assure you, as I have had too much experience in the whole "must of went to your junk mail" diatribe, that it did not go in to "junk mail".  

No email or paperwork was sent to me to confirm any new contract at the time. I would have been in touch right away to have this clarified in the first instance ( to which I would have no leg to stand on at this point in time). My partner is afflicted with OCD and keeps all house related paperwork tucked away in our documents folder (now up to two bulging file organisers), and there is no physical copy of the contract that has been sent to our address. 

I am now more annoyed at having to chase customer services to seek a resolution to this. 

Does the J5 clause apply to this? as the last price jump seemed a little high in my opinion and not really satisfied with the overall customer service experience.

Still infuriated with the situation. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Leaving penalty free because of price jumps only applies to the 14 days after the change.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos