Menu
oohcrikey
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Moving house - unfair early disconnection charge

I currently have 3 separate VM accounts.

1xBroadband/Phone/TV (My main residence in Cheshire- have been a customer for 5+ years)

1xBroadband (At an apartment I rent in London midweek for work purposes)

1xMobile phone.

I will be moving to a different apartment in London next week and have been advised that I will need to pay an early disconnection fee at the current flat because VM can't provide Broadband at the new address.

Your Customer Service and moving departments have been completely useless and don't seem interested in the fact that I am loyal customer and am only cancelling 1 of my 3 services because VM is unable to provide the service in future. I would much rather keep it!

I pointed out that unless the £100 fee is waived I will transfer my other accounts (worth £1k+ per year) to other providers but your representatives are insistent that the charge will stand.

I would really like somebody with an ounce of commercial acumen to review this stance because it doesn't help VM or me.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moving house - unfair early disconnection charge

you are cancelling a contract that you took out agreeing to keep the services at the current address for the minimum term.

You are breaking that contract so need to pay the EDF.
oohcrikey
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

How do I get a copy of the contract. I would really like to see where it explicitly states that the service is to that address.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

it is in the T&C

http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/early-...

As part of a fixed term contract with Virgin Media, you agree that you’ll continue with your chosen Broadband, TV or Phone services at your current address for a minimum period. This is shown in your contract, but is usually either 9, 12, 18 or 24 months.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

its as it is right or wrong - a call to retentions might get a better result - depends on the agent and how you approach him/her

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - you are thinking of leaving us - dont worry about that they do much more - open 'till 8pm - 6pm on saturdays - closed sunday and the plus is its a UK call centre

Tony
0 Kudos
oohcrikey
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

That's fine but that version of the contract is not provided when you sign up for the service.

All you get is 1 page of basic T&C's which states:

SERVICES AVAILABLE IN VIRGIN MEDIA CABLED STREETS ONLY. Subject to survey and network capacity, minimum term contract applies, check contract paperwork for details. If you cancel during the minimum period you will incur an early disconnection fee.

The problem I have is that VM does supply the service to the Street I am moving to, they just don't supply to my new flat.

I have no desire to cancel my contract but VM tell me I have no choice but to cancel because they can't provide the service.

There is nothing in the clause above which states that the contract is tied to a specific address so as far as I am concerned the contract is to ambiguous to be relied upon.

0 Kudos