Menu
Timohfee
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Moving home + No VM = Early concellaton fee.

Hi all,

We're moving home this weekend to our first purchased house.

We would love to take VM with us as we've loved the services we've had over the past year or so, but they cannot service our new home. I've been informed that we will have to cancel, and incur an early cancellation fee of £145. We only have 4 months left on our contract, and pay £42.98 a month. You do the math... Thats a difference of under £27. I was aware there was cancellation fee if VM could not service your new address, but i didn't know it was that extortionate!! For obvious reasons, i cannot afford to pay £145 for the luxury of not having VM! What are my options here?

Thanks in advance!!

Tim.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moving home + No VM = Early concellaton fee.

You can speak to VM and try to get a sympathetic operator but I wouldn't bank on it, unfortunately the contract penalty clause is legal and enforceable if you don't pay you will get a bad credit rating and possibly debt collectors

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You dont have many.

The EDF's are listed in the Terms of Service so are enforceable.

SO you are basically down to "ask them nicely if they'll waive them or give you time to pay" or incurr a default on your credit file...

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Wise owl
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

The Early Disconnection Fees are listed here: http://www.virginmedia.com/shop/the-legal-stuff/terms-and-conditions-for-fibre-optic-services/early-...

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
Timohfee
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I know what the cancellation fee breakdown is, and that i signed a contract that stated an early cancellation fee would occur in this situation. However i was not told what the cancellation fees were, nor where to find them at the time. If in honest, in my own naivety i thought the fees would amount to maximum £10 per month of contract left, not over £35! Im rather upset that i now owe £145 because VM cannot reach my new home. Seems such a large company should be able to help the little guy out rather than punish him for their own lack of connectivity.

Looks like next month will be a big bill.

Thanks for your all your help, but i don't think ill be seeing you around again.