Menu
SurreyTony
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Moving House and Installation Nightmare

Hi,

I was an existing and longstanding (12 years) customer, and I moved house on the 20th December. According to the website moving is easy! Not a bit of it. I have had two installation dates so far - one on the 4th January which I had to change (family reasons), and one on the 24th. I was told prior to the appointment for the 4th, that in the week before the installation a Construction Team would attend the property to install a cable and do the external works (the property has not been cabled before), and then on the day the Installation Team would sort out the stuff inside. When I changed the appointment the same thing was said - the property would be cabled in the week beforehand.

On the 20th January, still no cabling work had been done, so I rang to query this, and the pre-install team advisor told me the construction work would be done on the same day and they were coming between 1pm-6pm as arranged. However on the 24th itself the Installation Team didn't arrive until 5:40pm, and couldn't do anything - because there was no cable for them to connect to. They said the street needed digging up - something I told the advisor I spoke to before I moved in when I arranged the original install. The team left having done nothing. After an hour on the phone, I arranged with another pre-install advisor that he would book me in on the next available date of the 2nd March (!!!) but that in actuality, he'd arranged it with the area manager of the Construction Team for the cabling to be done within five working days, and that there was a note on the account that the installation team would make time to attend my property 48 hours after that.

Five working days later - and no cable or any sign of any works about to happen. Another call to the install team and the install date is the 2nd March, but they can't give any advice on the Construction Team because apparently they don't speak to each other. No knowledge of the five working day arrangement or the 48 hours after that arrangement with the installation team and the area manager. Nothing. A Site Survey Technician was however booked to attend the property on the 1st February. I was told I didn't need to be at home, although he called me to say he was on his way so I assume he did have a look at the site to ascertain what work needs doing. there is however no evidence of this (I was expecting a line painted on the pavement for example)

Today I've called and I'm still down for an installation date of the 2nd March, but told that the Construction Team will be doing the work on the same day - in fact the same completely wrong response I was given for the abortive visit on the 24th. I need to know what is happening: Do the Council actually need to give a permit to dig up this little bit of the street and if so has this been applied for? Why are advisors giving out blatantly incorrect details about installation - and why are installations being booked when there is no guarantee to either the team or the customer that they can be carried out? I have been without Broadband, TV and telephone since 20th December - apart from Christmas being miserable this is now affecting my work and costing me money, as well as the money I lost by taking the afternoon off on the 24th.

My questions therefore: are the Construction Team actually coming on the 2nd March? Or will they come in the week beforehand like I was told? Or not at all as has been the case so far??? How can I check if permits are necessary and/or have been issued? Can I contact this team to find out when they are coming (the pre-install team on the 'phone repeatedly said this wasn't possible) and am I going to be surviving on a rapidly diminishing mobile data allowance for yet another MONTH, and going to take another half day off work, just to find on the 2nd March that they do not put cables in the same day, and the whole ludicrous process starts again?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moving House and Installation Nightmare

Hi SurreyTony

Thanks for letting us know about the delays to the installation that you have had recently and my apologies about the inconvenience this has caused to you Smiley Sad

I can see that the job is raised for a 2 man crew to attend on the 2nd March and this crew will pull the cable to the home as well as completing the installation.

No construction work is necessary for this work to take place.

The engineers should be able to complete the full process end to end for you barring any further issues that we are currently not aware of. All things going to plan you will be fully connected by the 2nd.

I have looked at the availability for the 2 man crew to see if there is any way this job can be brought forwards and my apologies but we are currently fully booked now in this area to beyond the 8th of March now so you do have the earliest appointment we can offer you.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can support you with.

Kind regards.

Karen_A

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
SurreyTony
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Karen,

Many thanks for your response, and I'm please to hear that all seems to be in hand. I'm not sure what the difference is between "construction" and "pulling a cable", but please could you make sure the team are aware that there is approximately 3m between the cable TV point in the pavement and the boundary of my property, which I presume needs to be dug up and relaid once the cable is in place (as my neighbour's has been - the pavement has been dug up outside their property). Kind regards,  Tony

0 Kudos
SurreyTony
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Well it's the 2nd March and once again Virgin have screwed up. As expected to be honest. Despite being told on *here* and on Twitter, and on the phone, that this job required a cable pulling to the house, the engineers have turned up today with information on their job sheet saying it's been done, when IT HASN'T!!! Total incompetence!!! How long do you expect someone to hang on for this to be done? According to the engineer today, he doesn't have the details of the construction team "which it needs" (note your prior reply that says it doesn't Karen? I pointed this out MONTHS AGO) so I can't contact them to find anything out. He says he will contact me to let me know - can I believe this? Why should I after two and a half months of blatant lies and thorough incompetence? He also says there's some miscellaneous "blockage" in pulling the cable - well perhaps if the construction team that I indicated needed to come to the property had actually come, they could've done this.

So what am I left with? No service. No prospect of any service. No date for an installation. No contact details of anyone to advise me of anything to do with an installation. Nothing in fact but the prospect of yet another wasted evening hanging on the phone to the Virgin helpline, to speak to someone in a call centre abroad who won't know anything. Just like I've been doing since December the 20th, when I contacted you to switch services when I moved house. It says two days on the website. What a joke. Response and advice by close of play on Friday 3rd March please or contract cancelled.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tony

I am incredibly sorry to hear that the information I was referring to in my reply to you did not meet the installers requirements when they came out on the 2nd.

According to the notes on the account it showed that no construction was needed- I.E, no carriageway dig, or tee junction build etc. needed done but a 2man crew was booked to re-pull the cable from the cabinet to the street for you. This should have been able to have been completed with no issues.

When they have gone out to attend they have picked up that there was an issue with a blockage outside a building site entrance between 1st and 2nd pit. According to our teams permits for this work to be approved have been granted and we should have no further issues with this being completed.

You can either keep in touch with us here to check up on how this is progressing for you or you can contact the teams directly via 0345 045 0595 and their opening hours are Mon-Sat 8:30am-7pm.

Please keep in touch with us Tony if you’d prefer we check back in on this for you and we’ll be happy to help out.

Kind regards.

Karen_A

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos