Menu
kdodds8
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Moving House, am I a new customer?

Hi 

I've been with Virgin Media over a year now on a broadband only deal. So I'm currently on a rolling contract.

I'm moving property, called up to make no changes to my service but just to move it over to my new address, for a admin fee of £20. Which was completely fine until I asked about my contract and I was advised I would be put in a new 18 month contract (good job I asked). I asked why and was told I will technically be a new customer at a new address, so ill need to be put in a new contract. 

I stressed that they would be no benefits from this as the new customer deals are a lot better than what I'm paying. So It would be easier to cancel, and set up a new account at my new address for a hell of a lot less than what I'm paying, on a shorter term contract. I would of been happy to pay my current amount on a rolling contract but aparantly this wasn't possible.

I contacted chat support who told me that it would be possible. I'm confused right now, and fail to see what is actually eligible when it comes to moving. If anyone can shine a light on this it would be appreciated, I feel Virgin try to pull the wool over my eyes and I would prefer to have the transaction as simple as possible as moving can be stressful enough.

Thanks

Karl

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Moving House, am I a new customer?

A contract is for services at a specific property, so with a home move, a new contract is drawn up for you at the property you're going to reside in.

New customer deals will always look enticing. Ultra low costs, free this, free that, have this on the house too. It's like that to draw in new custom, without new custom a business would stagnate then eventually collapse as the existing customer base moves on to greener pastures so to speak.

In terms of how it would be until Virgin Media see you as a new customer, the common quote by people here is a minimum of six months of not being with Virgin Media. Though some staff have stated it that it can be years.

+Add: You could always sign up with another ISP and then come back in 18 months, maybe you'll get lucky.

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You would have to do a hard cancel and sign up as a new customer at your new address to make the most of the offers

0 Kudos
kdodds8
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply and information.

I decided just to transfer my current deal over to the new address to save the hassle.

Thanks again

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

kdodds8 wrote:

Thanks for the reply and information.

I decided just to transfer my current deal over to the new address to save the hassle.

Thanks again

Good idea. It means you can take your existing kit with you when you move, including your recordings if you have a recording TV box.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Not such a good idea if new customers can get a v6!
0 Kudos
spell
Well-informed
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Shelke wrote:

In terms of how it would be until Virgin Media see you as a new customer, the common quote by people here is a minimum of six months of not being with Virgin Media. Though some staff have stated it that it can be years.

I'm sure that I have also seen it mentioned (somewhere - I can't be bothered to look) that you can only ever be a new customer once.

After that you are classed as a returning customer.

Makes sense to me.

0 Kudos
jb66
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Shelke wrote:

A contract is for services at a specific property, so with a home move, a new contract is drawn up for you at the property you're going to reside in.

New customer deals will always look enticing. Ultra low costs, free this, free that, have this on the house too. It's like that to draw in new custom, without new custom a business would stagnate then eventually collapse as the existing customer base moves on to greener pastures so to speak.

+Add: You could always sign up with another ISP and then come back in 18 months, maybe you'll get lucky.

Ive never heard of virgin refusing to install as they are not a "new customer"

0 Kudos