Menu
Percepto
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Looking for a better deal

I'm looking to improve the deal which my parents are currently getting.
They are both in their 80s, so any kind of change for them is really disruptive, hence I'm trying top sort it for them.
They pay for the Full House TV package plus telephone line, plus Sky Sports and MUTV.
They have no Broadband connection.
Is there a cheaper way for example, of dispensing with the landline, getting Broadband and then making calls over WiFi (What'sApp, FB, Skype etc)
They both have mobile phones anyway so the landline seems to be pointless.
They are paying over 120.00 per month and I'm sure there must be a cheaper option.
Many thanks for any feedback or input.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Looking for a better deal

hiya @Percepto welcome to the virginmedia community forum, best idea would be to have a chat with customer relations choosing option 4 - 5 (thinking of leaving us), they deal with complex issues, and should be able to advise quickly on best combo of services to have.. would need to have the account holder present due to security/Data Protection etc.
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Percepto
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks but as I'm in Italy it's not the easiest thing to do.
I have autonomy anyway and complete access to their bills and online account as neither can use a computer.
As a matter of interest, how would having my dad "present" make any difference? 
Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

if you're not the account holder and don't have power of attorney can't really make any account changes, since making changes to the services would trigger a new contract.
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
0 Kudos
Percepto
Joining in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

It is clear, from your replies that you are a representative of Virgin Media, so we would make matters much simpler if you could simply give me the information I am looking for.
My original post was generic and I was hoping for input/feedback from other users.
I will now be specific in order to save time.

To be clear and transparent:
I am NOT looking to change ANYTHING on the account without first giving ALL the relevant information to my parents and discussing EVERYTHING with them. They will make ANY and ALL decisions about their choice of package.

As I thought I already explained, my parents are over 80 so dealing with situations like this one are very stressful for them as they get confused.

This came about as my wife has just given birth to their only grandchild and we are looking for a way to be able to share his development with them as we live in Italy.

So, we are looking into adding a basic Broadband package and to get the best possible deal for 2 pensioners who don't really understand exactly what they are paying for.

I can easily ask my father to contact you in order to confirm anything I have said in order that you can help us to help them.
Regards
Chris Hiles

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Utterly mistaken. The Superusers are all VM users of some experience. They are not VM's representatives or VM's staff (with a single exception). And the plain fact is that unless the account holder is present and acknowledges that the person speaking is acting for them when the call is made then VM will not deal with it. UK data protection laws apply and VM take great care not to fall foul of them.

You can look at the VM web site to see which combination of services might suit your parents best. But I am not qualified nor do I have the pricing information to hand to offer more concrete advice than you have already received from paultechy.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Percepto
Joining in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I read this line:
"if you're not the account holder and don't have power of attorney can't really make any account changes,"
and falsely assumed that it missed out "I" before "can't".
Sorry for the misunderstanding and thank you for the clarification.

That said, I hope it is clear from my honest and open communication that there are no laws being breached or abused here and I am still confused as to how you think that my father being "present" would make any difference.
How would the representative from VM actually know that my father was actually who he says he is? I don't suppose they are using voice recognition technology! Smiley Wink

Thank you for the info.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

well if virginmedia staff/agent asks are you the account holder and the person say yes, virginmedia are no longer responsibly the other person who called virginmedia is libel and possible considered an act of fraud/deception (claiming they are somebody they are not, not100% on this) but would be close to it.
you could possible use the online chat via http://contact.virginmedia.com (using PC/laptop), they might be able to disclose what package would suit them best.
as HowardML most of the superusers are non-virginmedia staff e.g. -> https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Announcements/Superuser-Programme-Announcement/td-p/2329719 I used to virignmedia staff for over 6 years+
0 Kudos
Percepto
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.
I'm just looking for the most effective way to handle the situation.
I take your point, it would be deceptive I suppose, but there is nothing fraudulent going on as no-one is being conned and I have nothing to gain.
I'll wait until I visit my parents in January and sort it out then.
Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos