Menu
pjmcelduff
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Leaving Virgin

I joined Sky (cheaper, effectively same internet speed) and they are providing my broadband, phone line and line rental. I completed an exit survey from virgin. I went live with Sky on 26/10/16 and the virgin broadband no longer worked. I was bit surprised to receive a bill on 18/11/16, thinking my October bill was the last. On further examination, I see my profile is still active despite no services actually being provided by virgin. Is this an error? When I switch gas and electricity, I don't tell the current supplier. Surely, same rules apply?

I have been happy with Virgin and would certainly return in the future but I seek amicable conclusion to this conundrum. 

Thanks,

Peter

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Leaving Virgin

Did you phone in and cancel? if not they won't be canceled automatically as they are different networks unlike if you went from BT to Sky

0 Kudos
sweetscotsbabe
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you're keeping the same telephone number then Sky would contact VM on your behalf to have the number migrated over.  If you're not keeping the same number, I'd imagine you'd need to contact VM to cancel your contract.  You also need to give them a month's notice when leaving.  I'm actually in dispute with VM over our final bill as we also moved to Sky at the beginning of October.

0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sky's website says ...

Switch to Sky Broadband and Talk - Start switching today#section-4

• Once your Sky Broadband is active you'll need to cancel your Virgin Media service.

So the onus will be on you to cancel Virgin. Did you do so ?

All Replies
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Did you phone in and cancel? if not they won't be canceled automatically as they are different networks unlike if you went from BT to Sky

0 Kudos
sweetscotsbabe
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If you're keeping the same telephone number then Sky would contact VM on your behalf to have the number migrated over.  If you're not keeping the same number, I'd imagine you'd need to contact VM to cancel your contract.  You also need to give them a month's notice when leaving.  I'm actually in dispute with VM over our final bill as we also moved to Sky at the beginning of October.

0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Sky's website says ...

Switch to Sky Broadband and Talk - Start switching today#section-4

• Once your Sky Broadband is active you'll need to cancel your Virgin Media service.

So the onus will be on you to cancel Virgin. Did you do so ?

pjmcelduff
Joining in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for all of your advice, I got to bite the bullet on this one. I was probably a bit naive but never mind. I should have cancelled 26/10/16 when sky took over. got a call to make..

0 Kudos
karapaul
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I am also seriously considering the move to BT (on their new Black Friday offer).

BT offer costs less for 58 infinity + weekend calls (12mth contract) than I currently pay for VM broadband only.

Before I proceed, please advise how you are finding your new BT service.

I was on VM100 which performed well. Then VM upgraded me to Vivid150 and although I can now get 150 in the middle of the night!  .... my line drops dramatically during peak hours.

If I was a new customer (which I will be after a 12mth spell with BT !) I could get a better VM deal PLUS cashback (Quidco/TCB, etc)... but as an existing VM customer for many years, I cannot persuade them to give me the loyalty discount that they gave me in previous years. Very annoying - it seems they want to send me to their competitors so that I can later return.

sweetscotsbabe
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yes I cancelled VM TV as instructed to do so by Sky, they'd already cancelled the broadband & phone once our number had been migrated over to sky. I wasn't informed there would be a contract termination fee though, only that I had to give 30 days notice of termination of the service
0 Kudos
karapaul
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

pjmcelduff .... Hi Peter. I'm interested to know how you are getting on with your new Sky connection ?
0 Kudos
c-moore
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I have been trying to leave Virgin for two days now however had no success.  I rang the helpdesk and spoke to someone not in England and could not really understand what they were saying.

After trying to close it for most of the day I decided to write a piece on Facebook for people to share and give me any tips on how to close my accounts.

I have also contacted local media.  It sounds as though you left them quite easily.

Christine

0 Kudos
fatblokefletch
Well-informed
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I selected "thinking of leaving us", and had no problems cancelling whatsoever

0 Kudos