Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 56 (15,194 Views)

Leaving Virgin media??

Hi, just looking for advice really...

I have been with Virgin for phone/tv/broadband for years, only left them for a few months when I moved away from the address then moved back and straight back to Virgin (latest term about 7 years).

My landline phone has only ever worked for maybe 1 year in this time-after a few calls in the early days when nothing was fixed I gave up and realised I only really used my mobile anyway so didn't worry about this (of course I am still paying line rental). I have called Virgin, maybe 4 times to 'try' to ask about the best deal etc-they say they know my phone is not working but have never offered to send a technician out or offered any advice on having this fixed!

I do believe that Virgin is the best/most reliable broadband in my area so don't really want to leave them but... is it time? As I say I don't really need a phone line  (especially one I am paying for that does not work!!) Any suggestions from anyone for best thing for me - Decent Broadband/Possible TV service... that works!

I would call Virgin but it costs the earth calling from a mobile rather than a landline. They do offer 'live chat' on the website but not open on a Sunday and  strangely enough it's not offered on the 'leaving us' page just the 'upgrade'!!

I think having an email from them saying my bill is going up by another £3.49 has given a kick to start asking questions. I think £63 a month for No Telephone/basic TV/No movies/No sports/Not even a Tivo box is too much to pay for much longer.

Would appreciate any help or advice :-)

Accepted Solutions
Superfast
Message 3 of 56 (30,327 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Gayna1
‎04-09-2016 11:52

Re: Leaving Virgin media??

I'm in a similar position as you. Dont use my landline and TV is just the basic channels but watch mostly on my pc.

Broadband has been rubbish last 9 months due to over utilization in my area. Been looking at Vodaphone broadband and you can get upto 38 Mbps for £25 or upto 76 Mbps for £28 and both include line rental. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

Superuser
Message 4 of 56 (30,327 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Gayna1
‎04-09-2016 11:47

£63 a month sounds expensive - the phone [landline] cost whilst its there is part of the package - dropping that from the package would have little effect on the overall price - it would be a new 'total' price to cover whatever you decided to keep - if in fact you stayed

a call to retentions is worth while - they will usually ring you back if you are on a mobile so it can cut the call cost - talk to them - go through your options and they may well be able to do a package cheaper than what you are paying now - be aware though that any new package would start a new contract of 12 or 18 months - depending when you set a deal up the price increase may be added in later - check that with them and if not then make sure its noted on the account

if after all that - with them ringing you back [hopefully] you cannot get to a deal you are happy with you are talking to the right people to give 30 days notice to

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - you are thinking of leaving us - dont worry about that they do much more - open 'till 8pm - 6pm on saturdays - closed sunday and the plus is its a UK call centre

Tony

0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 7 of 56 (30,174 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Gayna1
‎04-09-2016 19:46

you will not Virgin's advertised speeds from any other provider. Only their  cable network can deliver >50mps, and the best speed you can get from BT / Sky / Vodaphone  etc in many areas is <10

Superuser
Message 8 of 56 (30,170 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Gayna1
‎04-09-2016 19:43

Hi,

you can call the Virgin Media sales team on (freephone) 0800 052 0422.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

On our wavelength
Message 14 of 56 (14,840 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Gayna1
‎07-09-2016 22:44

shop around . loads of deals out there, dont get hung up on the speeds, I am supposed to get 150 line speed, never get it highest I have ever got was 86  direct into the modem, average is a lot slower peak times , monitored it via speed test for a month, rang up no difference.

Took my streaming box  next door, my neighbour has 56 fibre,  from BT  , plugged it in ,on a Saturday  , like night and day, tried my pc, latency miles better, most streaming sites Netflix  ect don't need anything like the supposed speeds and the packet data is a factor in there performance more than speed,( the data you get through your line,unthrottled ). I was shocked at the difference in experience, to be honest, as they say the proof is in the pudding .

At present BT, basic tv, with the sport, fibre broadband 56 speed, and weekend call on the phone, £66 set up and just under £30 a month, and you get a money card topped up with a £100 quid, ps they have a minimum speed guarantee that you can get if you don't get it you can leave with no penalty.

loads of deals out there , you are paying to much.

All Replies
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 56 (15,181 Views)

Calling virgin costs the same as calling a landline and comes out your mobile minutes, its not expensive

0345 454 1111

0 Kudos
Superfast
Message 3 of 56 (30,328 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Gayna1
‎04-09-2016 11:52

I'm in a similar position as you. Dont use my landline and TV is just the basic channels but watch mostly on my pc.

Broadband has been rubbish last 9 months due to over utilization in my area. Been looking at Vodaphone broadband and you can get upto 38 Mbps for £25 or upto 76 Mbps for £28 and both include line rental. 

Superuser
Message 4 of 56 (30,328 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Gayna1
‎04-09-2016 11:47

£63 a month sounds expensive - the phone [landline] cost whilst its there is part of the package - dropping that from the package would have little effect on the overall price - it would be a new 'total' price to cover whatever you decided to keep - if in fact you stayed

a call to retentions is worth while - they will usually ring you back if you are on a mobile so it can cut the call cost - talk to them - go through your options and they may well be able to do a package cheaper than what you are paying now - be aware though that any new package would start a new contract of 12 or 18 months - depending when you set a deal up the price increase may be added in later - check that with them and if not then make sure its noted on the account

if after all that - with them ringing you back [hopefully] you cannot get to a deal you are happy with you are talking to the right people to give 30 days notice to

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - you are thinking of leaving us - dont worry about that they do much more - open 'till 8pm - 6pm on saturdays - closed sunday and the plus is its a UK call centre

Tony
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 5 of 56 (15,167 Views)

Thanks Tony, I will look into that :-)
0 Kudos
Tuning in
Message 6 of 56 (15,166 Views)

Thanks Paul,

I'm not on Virgin Mobile so I think that it does cost me to call them. I am supposed to be on quite a good Broadband speed but I check regularly and never get anywhere near the speed I am supposed to get - as you say probably over utilization!
Think I will get some figures together-shop around and see what else is out there then call them and as someone else has suggested ask them to call me back!

Thanks Paul!
0 Kudos
Community elder
Message 7 of 56 (30,175 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Gayna1
‎04-09-2016 19:46

you will not Virgin's advertised speeds from any other provider. Only their  cable network can deliver >50mps, and the best speed you can get from BT / Sky / Vodaphone  etc in many areas is <10

Superuser
Message 8 of 56 (30,171 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by Gayna1
‎04-09-2016 19:43

Hi,

you can call the Virgin Media sales team on (freephone) 0800 052 0422.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Community elder
Message 9 of 56 (15,040 Views)

and if you think the folks here moan a lot about the service, go browse the BT / Sky .... broadband & TV forums Smiley Happy

i think a lot depends on where you live & how many hardcore gamers / netflix addicts /  you tube streamers / v-bloggers are sharing your street cabinet

any service will degrage if it becomes too popular

Well-informed
Message 10 of 56 (14,847 Views)

[ Edited ]

Gayna1 wrote:

£63 a month for No Telephone/basic TV/No movies/No sports/Not even a Tivo box is too much to pay for much longer.

How fast is your broadband?  Do you need it to be that fast?   If you went down to 50Mbps broadband it would be cheaper at about £26 + £19 line rental.   In reality I was only getting 50Mbps as I am using wifi and basic ethernet cabling.  Download speed test on 50 Mbps differs little from what I had on 200Mbps. And I don't upload anything.  http://www.broadbandspeedchecker.co.uk

Check you really are on the basic TV, the cost of More or M+ is a good bit over the basic M.

0 Kudos