Menu
Chris5710
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Leaving Virgin Media

Are the cancellations team / retention team actually honest or just looking to use stall tactics to drag a cancellation on? 

After being a VM customer for a number of years, I have just cancelled following the 35% price increase over a 6 month period experienced. What company would raise a premium by 35% - get real

My package is broadband only, Fibre 50 and uncapped data, so clearly I am not an important customer as I do not bring enough revenue in 

There is no value is staying on a VM customer, it is better to leave and go elsewhere as a new customer and I will strongly recommend my friends, colleagues and family to move away to a more ethical provider

Several calls to discuss my price increase and why new customers were being offered amazing packages but existing clients are not, saw responses like "bringing your package price up to that of the other packages"  "New clients are offered packages to attract them and then the prices go up considerably during the contract" 

On my call on 2nd March to cancel totally, I spoke to Craig H in Swansea, he made an offer to stay which was not later honored. The offer was £17 for 12 months on my current package. (Fibre 50 uncapped)

Calling on Friday 10 Mar and speaking to Alfie to enquire if the offer I received on the 2 March would be price guaranteed for the full 12 months or if I would be exposed to price increases like I recently saw was met with the response that the offer is incorrect and that the offer was for Fibre 20 and a 30gig cap. Had Craig told me that the offer was for a 20Gig speed with cap - i would have simply cancelled straight away

Alfie said "he will escalate to his managers" they would listen to the tapes and if Craig had made that offer (50gig uncapped for £17), they would need to honour it. They would call me back after they looked into it. I asked when I could expect the call back and he said 13/14 March.

Lies Lies lies!!

Obliviously no call back was received...so my 30min call today on 17 March I spoke to Emily.

She looked on the system and could not see any call back request being logged, this despite Alfie saying I would receive one after the "managers had looked into my enquiry"

So far, both Craig and Alfie have been misleading and dishonest to me, that or its dirty stall tactics inlign with their frequent price increases

Emily kindly offered to get the managers to look into this (again) but they would not listen to the tapes..on asking how long it takes for me to get the elusive "managers" to call me - it could be days. Its so obvious that Craig messed up and Virgin did not want to honour their counter offer.  How dishonest!

I could not be bothered waiting for calls that never arrive so its less frustrating to simply cancel and move to a new provider who will value me as a client.

After reading other peoples cancellations mentioned on the forum, i do wonder about the 30 day "notice" if thats even honest or Emily milking the last few £ out of me? Some forum responses seemed to implay that the 30 day notice is bogus?? Any thoughts on this?

Perhaps VM will like this feedback, who knows, but if I can help prevent another persons agony and frustration then writing this has been worthwhile

Out of shear frustration I have cancelled my 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Leaving Virgin Media

I admit I didn't read all of your words but IMHO you are being unreasonable.

The current price for a new customer for 50Mb broadband is £32.25 per month.

You don't say what your previous price for this was. Sorry if I missed it. You quote an unacceptable 35% increase - I suspect it seems this way because your previous price was so generous and you're now being asked to pay some more but still significantly less than the new customer price.

Please tell us what you were previously paying and what you are being asked to pay so we are better able to comment.

0 Kudos
Chris5710
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ernie, 

My price in October was £ 22.45 and had gone up a few times before that, this is now at £30.04 as I had been getting a generous 70p discount after raising my concerns.

Next pay period and it goes up to the full £32.25 you mentioned

So thats and increase of £10 in 6 months

I am not sure it is unreasonable to be disgruntled with a package which goes up in price so considerably year on year?

If I was a new customer, I can get an amazing deal TV, broadband and Phone for £29, so paying £30 for only broadband seems disproportionate to the benefits new customers receive . I struggle to understand why people stay with VM and not challenge the price increases

TV, broadband & phone
  • All your entertainment brilliantly connected – TV, broadband and home phone.
  • The broadband speed you need – from SuperFibre 50 (up to 50Mbps) to VIVID 200 (up to 200Mbps)
  • Virgin TV box and our fastest ever WiFi Hub included
  • Inclusive unlimited weekend calls to UK landlines and Virgin Mobile numbers, plus weekend calls to 0870 numbersϪ
from
£29 a month
for 12 months

£14.99 activation fee

0 Kudos
Chris5710
Tuning in
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Call received today from VM with an offer to cancel my cancellation and remain a customer.

Accepted their offer while keeping the agent on the phone,
The offer was fair and reasonable for a better broadband speed and even less costs than I have been paying of late

Worth challenging VM on their frequent price increases .

I do hope I don't see another price increase anytime soon !

Faith restored ..