Menu
Felicity1
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Leaving Virgin Media

I have been a customer for 20+ years but due to truly awful customer service and the higher cost I am leaving but because I accepted a 6 month free trial of extra services I am tied in to a new 12 month contract!  I did not realise this at the time and I do not have any e-mail or written communication informing me of this.  Anyone else had problems like this?  Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Leaving Virgin Media

I'm not trying to be nasty but you have already made this point in your post here:

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/Appalling-Customer-Service/td-p/3251...

which has been picked up by the Forum Team, following referral by two of us yesterday to look at this urgently. You should not make duplicate posts. It just sets hares running and we lose track of the threads and the help you need.

I will answer this one. How does knowing whether other people have this issue affect you in anyway? There are lots of posts on this Forum complaining about VM's prices and contract arrangements - so the answer to your question is apparently "yes".  So what and now what?

Do you wish to leave VM?  You can do so at anytime with 30 days notice. As you say you are still into a minimum service period you might be charged an early leaving fee. The only way you will resolve this is to phone in and cancel and then discuss what will happen. If you tell them that you want to leave because of the November price rise (bit late now) you can cancel without penalty charges for early leaving. All this was explained in the e-mail or snail mail notification you got about the price rise. The ball was put firmly in your court by VM who made it unambiguously clear that this Ofcom requirement applied

I have played around with my contract many times to alter services and get temporary discounts (and they are temporary) and have been re-contracted or not recontracted. I knew what I was getting into and it has all worked fine. Call VM on 150 or 0345 454 1111 options 4,5  (thinking of leaving) and see what you can sort out.

VM services are not cheap, have never been cheap and will always go up in price more quickly than general inflation. But the UK TV and ISP markets are highly competitive and you have the choice to stay or remain. You need to exercise that choice if things are no longer to your liking. We do with household insurance, electricity and gas providers, motor insurance and all sorts of other services. VM's services are no different.

In your other thread you make a legitimate point about the treatment of your son. We've got VM on your case because we recognised the apparent injustice that may have been done. SUs (with one exception) do not work for VM. We are customers like you.  If you have other customer service issues then tell us about them in tthe appropriate section of the Forum  and we will try to offer you sound and practical advice to get them resolved. I have had my troubles with VM in the past. Sometimes I have boiled over. But it is persistence and a cool headed approach that gets them resolved. And they all have been and to my satisfaction.  I've been a customer for 26 years - VM and all its predecessor companies in this area. The call handlers at first line are clearly under pressure at the moment. Give them a break

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Felicity1
Tuning in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Leaving Virgin Media

I was not aware this particular point had been answered! If other people have been affected  then they may be able to help me! You might have boiled over in the past when dealing with Virgin Media but I haven't.  Your post seems irrelevant and my post was not a duplicate one. My post was moved from one board to another!! Not by me!!!

I am not having a go at the call handlers but the company and its procedures. And I was unaware of entering into a 12 month contract when I accepted the "offer" of additional TV channels for being a "loyal customer". Your reply is a bit of a rant - and unfairly so too. Nasty? maybe not. Rude? Hmmm

0 Kudos