Menu
Highlighted
Trickyblues
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Leaving Virgin Media

I've been a VM customer for 20+ years & sadly I've decided enough is enppough. I have XL TV (or whatever it's called now), 50 Mbps b/band, Talk evenings & weekends & mobile. I have been happy with everything up until about 18 months ago. At that time I had a VM superhub installed and have had nothing but trouble ever since. Constantly losing wireless connection meaning I eat away my inclusive 500mb in no time & then have to pay to access internet from my own home! I have been very ill over the last 6 years, had to retire early from work & am virtually housebound meaning the TV & web are essential to me (they keep me sane!). The loss of web access has been particularly difficult due to the cost involved. Despite this loss of service, I have seen my monthly bill spiral up from around £57 to my current bill of £75!!! As I said, enough is enough! I am moving to TalkTalk, and have bought an Android TV box. The cost of TalkTalk (line rental, ALL calls 24/7, FREE SIM {with 1 GB data, unlimited texts & 500 anytime/any number mins inc. mobiles} & unlimited bb @ 40mbps) is £32/m for 18 months, the Android box cost < £50 & there is a one-off installation fee of £25. Overall a massive saving.

Sorry for the long-winded back story, but I want to avoid people telling me to contact the Retention Team...they can't (or rather won't) even try to beat this deal, so finally my question is, how do I go about cancelling my whole package? Is athere a notice period I have to give, and would there be a charge - you would think not given my 20+ years loyalty, but that doesn't seem to count much these days.

Thanks in advance to anybody who can help or point me in the right direction.

Helpful Answers
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 2 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Leaving Virgin Media

if the contract is pass 18 months on the last time you refreshed it it will only cost a month and one month notice period but you need to go though Retention Team to get the account in canceling side

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
Craig82
Tuning in
Message 4 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just a heads up for you. VM added 22 pounds fee when I cancelled and I'm not in contract. I called and they removed it for me.

This also happened to a friend in work, also out of contract. Searching online shows this is common and frankly I hope OFCOM notices.

Keep an eye on your emails and VM bill after cancelling and if they do the same call the billing team straight away.

Best wishes.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Trickyblues

Thanks for getting in touch with us about leaving Virgin Media. I am sorry that after the 20+ years with us you are moving elsewhere Smiley Sad

I appreciate that this has been booked but if you did want us to look into alternatives for you then please let us know and we can look to arranging one of the teams to maybe relook into this for you.

If you need any support with the cancellation process if you’d prefer just to transfer to TalkTalk then please just keep in touch.

Kind regards.

Karen_A

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Smogger
Dialled in
Message 7 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I too am now pricing up other options after 20yrs with them.

Poor over priced service.  Lets see if the grass is greener.

carl07
Tuning in
Message 10 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Trickyblues,

I have also been a VM customer for 20 years and i was treated much the same as you by retention's. At least you had a "sorry to see you go" my operator was very to the point and didn't give so much as a thank you. My loyalty discount came to an end and the deal i was offered was no where near what I had or what they are offering new customers so i'm off to Sky to give them a try. 

mgtrock
Settling in
Message 14 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Looks like we will be doing the same. I've been with Virgin for years, nearly 3 at this property and various properties previously. my upgrade to 150mb hasn't made any difference as i still don't receive anything faster than 100mb (which is still very good) but it's dropping continuously and can never get it resolved, they won't even send me a Hub 3.0 (currently on the 2.0 as I'm convinced the hub is the issue as it randomly drops the wireless signal to differing hardware connected to it). It also completely drops all signal several times a day and i have to reboot the hub to get sync back.

I noticed they're offering fantastic deals for new customers but the retention team refuse to match these deals and would rather i left and paid money to a competitor. I was actually willing to pay an extra £30 a month and stay with them but I'm not prepared to pay more than someone who is just joining them! Looks like VM have little to no interest in customer loyalty, it's not the fault of the actual staff but that mentality is madness especially when competition for bundles is increasing continually.

Going to shop around, whilst I know I will not match the BB speed, I'm likely to get within 20% of it with BT fibre through Sky etc as I'm close to the exchange in my town. At the moment sky are willing to discount if I leave VM so may well heading to them for the first time ever!

Trickyblues
On our wavelength
Message 31 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Geordie59.
My best advice is to ring VM & let them know (just dial 150). Once you have gone through all the layers of automated messages you will eventually get to speak to a person. Explain your circumstances & see if they can give you a better deal (just cos those of us here had a bad experience doesn't mean you will. It IS still worth asking the question !! You never know....). If you have a new provider ready and if you're not happy with VM's response then tell them you want to cancel your contract. It SHOULD be straight forward from there!!

Good luck, and please let us know the outcome. It would be nice to see them do it right!!

Cheers.

Phil.
(NB. I am not and never have been an employee of Virgin Media. I'm just a guy who had problems with "The Man".)

All Replies
DavidJWalker
Rising star
Message 2 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

if the contract is pass 18 months on the last time you refreshed it it will only cost a month and one month notice period but you need to go though Retention Team to get the account in canceling side

Using VIVID 350 Optical Fibre, Player TV, Talk Weekends

Just another VM user trying to help out so my answers may be wrong.
If you do like my answer please mark it as helpful; it may help others
Trickyblues
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hi David, thanks for this response. I kind of expected that I'd have to go via Retention Team...just didn't want the agro of them trying to get me to stay. I had a stroke in September, so added stress is just what I need...lol.
I wish I'd've got into the forum years ago. Flicking thru some of the other q&a's, it looks like a group of friendly, helpful & knowledgeable people joining together to help each other. Keep up the good work!!!
Craig82
Tuning in
Message 4 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just a heads up for you. VM added 22 pounds fee when I cancelled and I'm not in contract. I called and they removed it for me.

This also happened to a friend in work, also out of contract. Searching online shows this is common and frankly I hope OFCOM notices.

Keep an eye on your emails and VM bill after cancelling and if they do the same call the billing team straight away.

Best wishes.
Trickyblues
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much for this info. I will make sure I check everything they send to me - I pay by direct debit so they might just try to take the "fee"... Need a o be on the ball...yet another reason I'm glad to be leaving.
Thanks again.
Phil
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Trickyblues

Thanks for getting in touch with us about leaving Virgin Media. I am sorry that after the 20+ years with us you are moving elsewhere Smiley Sad

I appreciate that this has been booked but if you did want us to look into alternatives for you then please let us know and we can look to arranging one of the teams to maybe relook into this for you.

If you need any support with the cancellation process if you’d prefer just to transfer to TalkTalk then please just keep in touch.

Kind regards.

Karen_A

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

Nadolig Llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda

Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Smogger
Dialled in
Message 7 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I too am now pricing up other options after 20yrs with them.

Poor over priced service.  Lets see if the grass is greener.

Trickyblues
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Karen. I appreciate what you are saying, however I've been down that road. The best VM can offer is to reduce my service (fewer phone calls, fewer channels etc). I did think that with the loyalty I've shown over the years that there might be something that could be done, but, no - they simply said they were sorry to see me go!
I am forever reading about people who contact the retention team & are offered all sorts of inducements to stay, from free movies/sports to upgrades to TiVo & reductions in their monthly bill. I got what felt like the bum's rush and was effectively told if I didn't like it, I knew where the door was, & not to let it hit my a**e on the way out! (Sorry to be so blunt, but that's how it felt!). Needless to ssy, I won't be contacting them again.
Trickyblues
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Smogger, I too hope the grass is greener. Rather than go for a TV+BB+Phone package, I've gone for just Phone+BB and I've bought an Android TV box. This was recommended by lots of people, but if it's no good, I can always add the TalkTalk TV package later. I will keep in touch via this fofum & let you know.
carl07
Tuning in
Message 10 of 41
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Trickyblues,

I have also been a VM customer for 20 years and i was treated much the same as you by retention's. At least you had a "sorry to see you go" my operator was very to the point and didn't give so much as a thank you. My loyalty discount came to an end and the deal i was offered was no where near what I had or what they are offering new customers so i'm off to Sky to give them a try.