Menu
alwynazo
Tuning in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Installation

I was due to have my cable and equipment installed today. Instead, I was asked by email two days ago to contact Virgin, 08000521734, and when I did, I was told that it would now take 6-8 weeks, and that they would install the junction to the cable in completely the wrong location. I pointed out that there was trunking already in position at the correct location, but this was contradicted each time, though I have the visual evidence in photos to prove it 

Over a period of extreme frustration lasting in total 55 minutes, I was passed along through a total of  9 agents, from initial contact to pre-installation team, to construction team, back to reinstallation, back to complaints, and, when it appeared that someone at last understood my problem and was looking into it, my call was diverted back to reinstallation, then complaints ( but the wrong one!), then preinstallation, and so on. I gave my security details 5 times - but got nowhere - failing even to register a complaint, as the last agent told me it would take between 5 and 10 minutes to verify the details - time I did not have. By the end I was 15 minutes late starting out to meet my wife and almost half an hour late before I met her.  

The call reduced me to such gibbering rage that I had to take two doses of heart medication, and almost collapsed; my wife when I saw her thought I was having a heart attack. The upshot is that NO-ONE was prepared to listen or to send out a fresh 'spotter' to verify that what I said was accurate 

Since then, no contact. I still don't know what or when will happen.   

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 23 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Installation

Hi alwynazo

I am sorry to hear that the online ordering hasn't worked the way it should have for you Smiley Sad

I'd like to see if I can offer some further support given the issues you have had with us and I am going to send a pm to you that you can find in the purple envelope on the top right.

If you could pop back to me on this, that would be great Smiley Happy I'll see what I can do to support you.

Speak soon.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos

All Replies
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi alwynazo

Thanks for joining us on the forums and welcome to the community. I appreciate you popping by with your post about the installation set up and understand that the journey you have had so far with us has not been a great one Smiley Sad

I am sorry that the delay has taken place. Given what you have said I can see a site survey engineer has been requested and it appears that we may not need to do the works that have been planned as you have mentioned above.

I have asked that the construction team include me in their communications regarding this, which they have in an email just now, and the contractors have been made aware of the feedback we have had from the survey engineer.

Once I get an update regarding this for you, I'll be back in touch.

Thanks again and speak soon

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
alwynazo
Tuning in
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

He came out yesterday, and immediately realised that the route for cabling which the other 'spotter' had insisted upon was NOT the right route. I was able to show him the trunking installed for exactly this purpose by the previous owner of our bungalow, which goes to within 2 ft of the Virgin box on the pavement. Yes, there will be a delay as the construction team need to dig up the road opposite by the box to link the cable down to the green Virgin box further down. But I can live with that; provided no unnecessary digging up of the road, pavement, my garden and garage door occurs.   

No doubt I'll get a letter or email from Virgin in due course telling me when it will happen

Many thanks Karen and I look forward to your next message!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I appreciate the update alwynazo Smiley Happy

I flagged this with construction yesterday for you and my colleague has copied me in as mentioned to the email communication, so, as I have access to this, I've replied to them all with the update you have popped here for me regarding what the site survey engineer said to you about the routing.

I've reconfirmed to them that I am direct communication with you via the forums too so if they could update me ASAP with feedback I'll happily pass that onto you.

I'll be back in touch as soon as they do, though it may be Monday now as the teams close shop for the day on Fridays at 7pm and I'm off tomorrow and back in Monday.

I'll catch you then Smiley Happy

Karen_A
Forum Team

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi alwynazo

Just a quick catch up to let you know I've not heard anything back since I mailed the teams for you on Friday so I've messaged them again for an update. I'm back in again in the morning and if I don't hear back from them by midday, I'll mail again to request this for you.

Kind regards.

Karen

Virgin Media Forum Team

Karen_A
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi alwaynazo.

The teams have checked into this for you and have advised that the information they have had back suggests civils are needed for permission for the dig and the delay for this is expected at about 6-8 weeks.

If you could please let me know if you need us to check into anything else for you and I'll be happy to look into this.

Kind regards.

Karen_A
Forum Team

0 Kudos
alwynazo
Tuning in
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I knew it was likely to take that length of time as the road MAY have to be dug up to access the main trunking. However, it surprises me that they don't rod the trunking from the existing Virgin box outside my house to see if the trunking from there links already with the main trunking already installed under the road. I know that there's no cable junction point already there, but that they usually run a separate cable all the way to the green box for a new installation. If they rod the green trunking from the existing box and find they can get as far as the next inspection chamber 25 metres towards the green box, then they'll be able to put that new cable through all the way without digging up the road. Then they'd only need to dig from the Virgin box on the pavement for a distance of less than a metre under my wall, to my trunking which is already installed under the drive, which extends all the way to the house.
If the rodding into the road were unsuccessful , I'm happy to wait the 6-8 weeks ( which would have been 2 weeks less if someone had bothered to listen to me before the original installation date), as long as the installation point is the right one. Anyway, thanks for your trouble Karen.
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I'm happy to pass this along to the teams for you alwynazo and I'll do just that for you Smiley Happy

The work though no matter how small, if this requires any carrigeway dig which the pavement is a part of, would still require permits for this to take place.

I'll let you know what the teams say Smiley Happy

Cheers.

Karen_A
Forum Team

0 Kudos
alwynazo
Tuning in
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Well, Karen A, here we go again. Lucky I was in when McNicholas-contracted RMG, your installation people,  turned up to dig up the carriageway, pavement, my garden and the garage entrance. I had to stop them from digging at exactly the location I had previously refused  to have dug, because nobody had told them where to dig, and I'd been unable to eradicate the previous arrows on the road completely, despite using anti-graffiti spray. Fortunately, they saw sense immediately I pointed out the existing box and the trunking within it. The couldn't understand why the previous idiot from Mc Nicholas hadn't bothered to rod the trunking! They rodded the trunking, and immediately could get the rod down to the master box in the road. They tied a rope to  the rod, and hauled it back up to my junction box. Job done, with no digging of road or pavement! It only took ten minutes to complete it! Now all it needs for your installation team to use the rope to drag the cable up the trunking, and link through to my trunking under the garden wall. But no thanks to McNicholas!! And Virgin's internal communication leaves a lot to be desired, since all your internal emails on this matter seem to have been ignored. Lucky you're a dependable method of communicating.

Alwyn 

0 Kudos
alwynazo
Tuning in
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Oh, and isn't it about time I heard WHEN Virgin are likely to install? I need to give 30 days' notice to my previous supplier, whom I've already cancelled, and then uncancelled, once.

0 Kudos