Menu
CaBarr
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Installation Issues

Hello Virgin Media Community,

Apologise if people are sick of seeing posts like this but since I can't get through to the complaints team I'm going to satisfy myself with a complaint on here till I can get through to them!!

After finally confirming (after a difficult process!!) that I'd be able to move into my new home on Sept 30th I decided that, since Virgin were the only company who said they could offer fibre broadband (and fortunately the street was already connected), I'd order my TV, Phone and Broadband Services with them. This was September 29th.

I was given and install day of October 13th between 8am and 1pm.

Since I work from home a lot a 2 week gap was a bit of a pain, but - being the reasonable person I try to be! - was something I had expected and prepared for.

Skip forward to October 13th the engineer turns up on the dot of 08:00 which was great. From here it goes pretty down hill.

After 20 minutes of looking around he concludes that there are no cables actually running to my "Already Connected" house. This is a bit of an issue, he says, but no problem! He'll get on the phone and he'll have a 2 man team here by the afternoon and it'll be sorted.

He return after lunch to let us know that "everyone is in meetings" and it's difficult to get hold of anyone. However the "good news" is he's arranged the team to install the cables and we'll be all connected.... on October 22nd.

Slightly angry that my installation date has now been pushed back 9 days I accept that **bleep** happens I arrange to postpone any non-major work for that week. I'm fairly confident at this point that VM have a handle on the situation and all will be good.

Yesterday morning (20th) a van turns up and men with cable start working outside the house. They're there for about 45 minutes and I'm happy that all seems to be going to plan.

18:00 yesterday I get a text message:

"Hi, we've made further checks to our networking in your are to bring you Virgin Media services. We have an update, please call out team on 08000521734."

So I ring VM expecting to be told that all is well (if there was a problem they would have called me this morning right??)

I'm told that there has been a problem running the cables in (what did the guys do for 45 minutes?!?!?!) and they'll need to apply to the council to dig up 1-5m of footpath (1 or 5??).

Installation date is now completely removed and it will be 8 weeks before they can advise of another date.

That's 11 weeks since my order before they can advise of an install date (which will presumably be another 2 weeks after that).

How can VM not know if they've dug up a road?

Also how can they be allowed to advertise that your street is connected when clearly it isn't!! If I'd been informed initially of the time that it would take then I could have made arrangements. I'm so under-confident with VM so far that I'm 90% likely to arrange to be supplied by someone else while I've got some free time next week.

The services won't be as good as VM has offered but since I've currently got nothing from them apart from having to spend money on mobile broadband I'm not confident they'll get it sorted.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Was it resolved? And if so was the quality of the service from VM thereafter worth the hassle in the first place?

Apologise for the ramble!

Chris

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation Issues

Hi CaBarr,

Welcome to the Forums and thanks for your post. I can only apologise that you've had a less than perfect journey since joining so far. 

It's not very often this happens however when it does happen, we try and get things moving as quickly as we can.

Even though progress may seem slow to you, at this end we would be putting multiple plans in place. We'll need to create a plan for costs and submit this. After this has been approved, we then need to get the relevant permits from local councils. If these fail, we need to go back to the drawing board and try again. 

I understand it's frustrating however we're not able to give an exact time frame. As soon as permits are accepted we'll have a better idea. For an update on this, feel free to come back to us or speak to the team on 150 / 0345 454 1111. 

Apologies again,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
CaBarr
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath,

Thanks for you response.

I wonder if you can help me with a follow up to this issue?

I've complained via the complaints team and was told that they would pass my complaint off to the construction complaints team who would call me.

I asked for their number as due to me working shifts I'm almost never available when people call.

Apparently this team has no number and it's literally impossible to call them?! This seems a little useless. As suspected they tried to call me over a week ago now and I wasn't able to take the call (no voicemail was left, I had to google the number) - since then they've tried to make no contact with me.

I'm not a customer yet and I already feel let down by the abysmal customer service.

It would also be useful if there was a way for me to keep track of what stage your plans are up to since I get the feeling (due to the fantastic communication so far) that it's likely in 8 weeks I'll still be none the wiser and then I'll be informed that the council have approved the request for work, but it can only be completed in August 2018.

Is there a way to be updated with progress other than ringing 0345 454 111 (which costs me a fortune from my mobile)?

On a final note I would also appreciate it if you would stop sending me through requests to sign my contract online. Apart from the fact I've already done this I:

A) Am not sure I want to be involved with the contract

and

B) I'm fairly certain that the installation isn't going ahead as the email suggests. Especially considering the last email I got (28/10/2016 19:28) suggests that my installation will be on 22/10/2016. Unless you've nailed time travel in the last week or I'm suggesting that this is unlikely and simply frustrating for me at this time!

I look forward to your response and would kindly add that the process doesn't "seem" slow to me. Your process seems backwards to me, I would suggest that it makes sense to run in cables and complete building work before you advertise a service and send someone to connect a customer to it.

Regards

Chris

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

A building shows as serviceable if there is a service "tee" installed at the address in Virgins plans. Properties are only provisioned with drop lines if they actually sign up for the service, as cabling up every single property would be expensive. Also in a lot of cases non-Virgin customers take it upon themselves to rip out all of Virgin's cabling (which is Virgin's property) from their gardens etc, as they consider it has no right to be there. So pre wiring is a non-starter. Also there is no way of finding collapsed ducting until you try pulling a cable. The issue of council permits is also long winded, as telecoms permits are not given the same priority as other services, & only government intervention will fix this.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
CaBarr
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I appreciate what you're saying but I'm afraid you've introduced words that virgin simply don't use in their adverts.

I wasn't told that "I could have virgin because I'm at a serviceable property". I frequently get flyers through the door that announce "You're Connected" which clearly isn't true. Neither is the assertion that "Your street is connected" since the issue I'm currently facing is that they need to dig up another street to run the connection across to mine.

You are correct that non-Virgin customers pulling out cables is unacceptable. However I'm not suggesting that "pre-wiring" is a good idea. What I'm suggesting is actually checking if properties have been wired before sending out an engineer to fit services.

It's frustrating for the customer (me!) as you're not connected when you're promised, and it's embarrassing for the engineer who has to explain, to the now frustrated, customer that they need to wait for someone to come and run in cable. Oh and when they come to do that they might find that there's going to be a further delay of 8 weeks.

Not sure when I brought collapsed ducting into this - this isn't an issue in my situation. The issue is that cable has never been run, not that ducts have collapsed.

I've no doubt the council process is a pain! I sympathise with this. What I would have liked to have seen though is warning that this might have happened. I'm undoubtedly not the first person who requires cables run where the council must give permission. It would be less frustrating as a consumer if it didn't take the best part of 4 weeks and two cancelled engineer visits before this is found out!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi CaBarr, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this. 

Since this started, our processes have come a long way and we're always making changes to ensure the customer has the best experience. I can only apologies that you have been left down on this occasion. 

Currently the only way to get an update is by giving us a call or by posting here and we can check how things are going for you. 

I don't have a number for the Construction Complaints team however you can reach Construction on this number here: 0345 045 0595. They may be able to help in terms of the complaint then. 

Hope that helps a little. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos
CaBarr
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Kath,

I cannot afford to keep ringing the 0345 numbers that you supply. As I'm sure you appreciate I only have mobile available since my phone-line provider has been unable to install that yet.

About to reach my "6 weeks since ordered" milestone and I'm yet to get any information about progress apart from a single voicemail about virgin approving an install that virgin had advised. Seems a little bit nonsensical to me (and I would have been furious if 5 weeks after the order and 2 weeks after being told building works would be needed had virgin the advised themselves that it wasn't going to be possible).

Would it be at all possible if you could find out the progress of my order for me? It would be greatly appreciated.

C

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi CaBarr, 

Thanks for coming back to me on this Smiley Happy 

Checking the account, the latest update on there is from the 3rd and this states we are still waiting on permit approval for the works needed to go ahead. I can see someone tried calling you to advise you of this but other than that there is nothing further. 

As mentioned above, once the permit is accept we'll have a better understanding on when things will likely be resolved. 

With 0345 numbers, most phone companies allow you to call these numbers using your inclusive minutes. If not then they are charged at a lower rate. Double check with your provider as the calls could well be free Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

0 Kudos