Menu
fnky143
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Installation Failure - 2 months and counting

After having our street cabled by Virgin Media through ought June and July we were finally visited by the Virgin Media sales reps in August where we ordered a broadband service. Installation was booked for September 15th and a pre-installation visit was carried out on August 9th by 2 Virgin Media engineers.

This is when things started to go south. My slot was booked from 8am-1pm, the engineers finally showed up at 17:20 with no paperwork, site map or note pad. Regardless, I explained that since we have a T at the end of our driveway it was obvious additional construction work would be needed in order to route a cable up to our property. This was all discussed with the attending engineers including proposed routing and required wayleaves. Nothing was written down, just hands in pockets, a lot of nodding and a swift departure.

September 10th a random guy turned up to the property, started to look around and said that installation on 15th was unlikely due to construction work not taking place. Our response was that we knew this and everything was discussed and agreed back in August with the pre-installation engineers who had said the work could be done prior to or up to the day of installation. Clearly they didn't send any information back up the chain and/or didn't know what they were talking about.

Another engineer visited the property to double check on 13th at our request and said the complete opposite and confirmed that the installation was good to go. He even wrote it down on the back of a Virgin Media flyer and posted it through my letterbox. September 15th came, I received all the e-mails and texts prior to installation but no-one turned up and no-one bothered to tell me the installation had been cancelled, so I sat at home like a buffoon for nothing...

Since then we have spoken to the construction team numerous times, each time we're told we'll be called back and I'm still waiting for that call. Construction have confirmed that they have no drawings or schematics of the infrastructure in our area and no-one has any idea of where the conduits run, (except for me, as I watched it all being installed over a 2 month period). This is clear as there is a wayleave in for a property which has nothing to do with our routing and Virgin Media engineers are claiming there is a blockage in the conduit and they need permission from this house and the council in order to lay 8m of additional conduit in order to get the cable up to our property. The main problem is, there is no blockage as there is no route there, it's from the opposite side of the street! 

September 28th, I received a wayleave for my property, 2 weeks after installation was due (go figure). However it's simply a blank form with no supporting information (drawing). Given the terms of the wayleave, which state "you must give us at least 6 months' written notice if you plan to carry out any work which will or is likely to have a negative effect on the apparatus". I fail to see how I or any future owner of the property can uphold that clause without having a routing drawing of the installation. Furthermore, how is any mobilized construction contractor going to carry out an installation of conduit without a drawing? And, how are they going to ensure that they don't compromise any other services which run beneath our driveway such as BT for example? I don't see how anyone can issue a work order without clear written instructions based on a drawing. 

For a moment I considered this may be an isolated case but, from what I've found within these forum pages it appears it's business as usual for Virgin Media. It also happens to be the same for 3 houses within my immediate area. 2 of us have already had our installation dates come and go with the 3rd about to be installed next week. However, no construction works have been carried out their either, so it's very unlikely this will occur either.

Won't someone tell me WTH is going on?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation Failure - 2 months and counting

Hi fnky143

Thank you for letting us know about the ongoing issues you have had trying to get the services connected with us.

I do apologise that this has been an issue for such a long time.

I'd like to do what I can to lisae with the construction team for you and find out where we are with this for you.

If you could keep in touch with me on the forums that would be great.

I'm going to catch up with the teams in the morning as they are closed at present and find out at what stage the work is.

I'll be back in touch tomorrow with any updates I can get for you.

Kind regards.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi fnky143

Just a quick catch up as I've spoken to the construction team and was just waiting on some feedback for you.

There is a reference number for this logged by construction for you which is NBU 67058 and which you can quote to the constriction team if you want to contact them directly for any further updates. Their number is 0345 045 0595.

They are open weekdays from Mon-Sat 8:30am-7pm.

The issue with wayleave is being looked into by them and they are working to get this sorted for you as soon as they can.

I have also sent the wayleave team a message with a copy of your post so they understand where you are coming from as a customer to see if this will help with your case in any way.

Please keep in touch if you need anything else from us.

Kind regards.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
fnky143
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Karen,

Thanks for the response and apologies for not responding sooner.

Regrettably we had to cancel our order with Virgin Media for broadband as things were not moving forward and we could no longer go without a connection. Since Virgin Media did not inform us of these issues we were not in a position to extent our contract with our previous supplier, so our services lapsed and we were left disconnected. An easily preventable solution with a proactive approach and a small investment of a phone call.

Last I heard from the pre-installation team was that the issues revolving around wayleave and council permissions remain outstanding as the road needs to be re-dug due to either a blockage in the trunking or an incorrect installation, (neither could be verified however). The construction team failed to uphold any of their promises and I never heard anything from them. The expected time frame for rectification of the subterranean trunking remains unknown and is likely to take months, if at all.

All in all, a very disappointing experience being customers of Virgin Media for the past 3 1/2 years at a previous address.

0 Kudos
MoreKS
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Sorry this is cross posting BUT I agree with fnky143 that there seem to be some serious systemic issues with VM.

Ours is a similar story - long-term customers, contacted the moving team on the 19th Sept, were told all fine, come 11th October the engineer discovers our property can't be connected as cable was not completed being laid in our area. The mess has evolved from there (6 weeks and counting). It feels like VM is happy to blame 3rd parties (in our case Lightning?) for work not being completed, but is not doing the things it promises to do itself.

1. Despite logging our first complaint on the 12th October, the work order we were told 'will be submitted today' has STILL not been submitted despite having complained several times since. In fact the only reason a complaint has even been logged is because I went through the CISAS website.

2. Despite not even logging the work order you rang us a week ago to book our replacement installation date for which we booked more leave, and then you cancelled the day before. One hand has no clue what the other is doing.

2. During one of our earlier complaint phone calls we were offered discounts on our account as recompense for being messed around. This was flatly denied by the agent we spoke to the following week, when he tried to offer us a new package. When we told him that wasn't as good as the deal we had been promised he said there were no notes on the system about it. Your agents never log discussions accurately.

3. You've known for 5 weeks that our property (and others in our immediate vicinity) cannot actually access your service currently, but you still haven't updated your system or website, and other people moving into the same street will be given exactly the same wrong information we were. This is preventable.

4. You always promise to phone back. You have managed to once in 6 weeks, and that was to book an installation that couldn't go ahead. Just don't offer to phone back.

This is obviously just venting at this point, but regardless of what happens with our case these things need to stop happening to people and I'll be carrying them forwards.

0 Kudos