Menu
davejsb
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Install Questions

Hello,

Have ordered a Virgin BB and TV package this evening.

I'm in a new "Project Lightning" area and my street is newly cabled and activated. I have a question though relating to the planned installation which is scheduled in just over 3 weeks time.

I live on the front of the 2nd floor of a 2 floor block of flats. I rent privately, and have the landlord's written permission for the install, but the whole block is managed by an agency who look after the maintenance, grounds etc. Neither I or the landlord have spoken to this agent about Virgin. Between my flat and the Virgin grid point for the block on the pavement outside there is a small car park.

In the block there is a communal single-input Sky system in each flat but no inbuilt Virgin points anywhere. 

My questions to Virgin (that the salesperson couldn't answer) are :

• Do I need to do anything else in advance of the installation in order for it to go ahead, permissions wise or otherwise?
  • How will the connection be installed into my flat if not via the communal route - will they be able to install directly into my flat via the external walls?

Thanks for the help!

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Install Questions

Hi davejsb, 

Thanks for your post and it's great to hear you're wanting Virgin Media services. 

A few days before the installation, a spotter will come out to check everything is how we need it to be come installation day. If not and further work needs to be done, we'll let you know and get to work on it right away. 

Until the visit happens, there isn't anything we can do so just sit back and relax. Smiley Happy

Let us know if you have any further questions. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
davejsb
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply!

I won't be here for 5 days, until the evening before the day of my installation - will that matter?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi davejsb, 

Thanks for coming back to us on this. 

Usually once the spotter has been out, if there is an issue they will knock on the door to advise you. If you're not there you will miss this. 

The best thing to do is give us a call the day before the installation to double check things went OK with the spotter. If not, we can let you know what work needs to be done. 

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

davejsb
Joining in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply!

I'm aware of the pretty severe problems people have with installations to flats, to say the least. To partially mitigate for some of them perhaps is there a way some sort of note can be left on my account/paperwork for the spotters which tells them that I'm the second (top) floor flat, on the front right of the building as one looks at it, and that I have written permission from the landlord for installation to go ahead?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi davejsb

Providing we have a wayleave agreement with the landlord or property owner for installation then this should go ahead for you.

To check out if this has been set up with us as this is usually done well before an installation then pop by to our Webchat teams who can also update the notes on the account for you on the job that has been raised for Site Survey for the engineers to be aware of where the location of the flat is when they pop round.

Keep in touch if you need anything else from us to support you.

Thanks again.

Karen_A
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
davejsb
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi again,

I tried all of the above suggestions but sadly, despite numerous attempts, the webchat team, nor the various people they transferred me to, could tell me anything about whether an agreement was needed or in place, and they said they have no ability to leave notes of any sort for the site survey teams.

My installation date is a week today - could someone from the forum team, if I give you my account number, look and see if the spotter has been by yet and if so, if any actions are needed on my part, please?

It's a little frustrating as I've convinced myself that there will be issues (I could of course be wrong) and I've tried to mitigate for them over the past 3 weeks to rule out any undue delays on the day such is my keenness to join Virgin ASAP, only to be met with no way of doing so.

It's rather like being in a car hurtling towards a seemingly inevitable crash in slow motion.

It seems such an odd way of doing things whereby a salesman can call to your home, sell you Virgin and give you all sorts of promises, but then isn't qualified or knowledgeable enough to know whether you can actually get it or not - and you only find that out on the day you're supposed to have it installed.

0 Kudos
davejsb
Joining in
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Had the automated text confirming installation at my planned date/time (on Friday), today.

Contacted the pre-install team call centre again and was told that they can't actually see the spotter's notes but that they think everything is fine. I'm guessing then that the spotter hasn't been yet, even though my install is on Friday.

Can anyone on the forum team help please?

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi there davejsb,

Really very sorry for the wait in getting your services installed with us.

It appears that there has been a development regarding this since you last posted and unfortunately, installation has been put on hold temporarily due to the engineer discovering a problem with the cable which requires additional work.

The team have noted that they will contact you within 5 working days to advise of the next steps.

Many thanks,

Nat_J

Who's who? Find out more about our community members. Good folk to know

0 Kudos
davejsb
Joining in
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I was contacted by the construction team who need to arrange permission to dig up the car park at the front of the block, as predicted. I provided them with some details as they were struggling to establish who the actual owners of the land were.

That was a month ago now - do you have any updates for me please?

Cheers!

0 Kudos