Menu
Hmig
Joining in
Message 1 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Install Delay - Not happy

Hi Guys,

Im not happy!

Was meant to have virgin media installed today, they called yesteray afternoon saying, they have found some issues and need to get planning permission from the council. 5 Days wait!!!

Why isnt the due dillidence done like earlier? They already have customers on my road, does Virgin not keep documentation on their cable runs?

The agent I spoke to, said there was nothing she could do. I asked if she could at least active My Virgin Media account and so I could stream on 4G, she said no its not possible.

This is not how I wanted ou relationship to start out guys. Im the oncall engieener for an NHS trust and will now likely have to travel for the next 5 days to site, claiming huge expenses, instead of fixing thing remotely via my internet connection.Not only that, they new they couldn't complete the install today, but they still started the migration process from my current provider, despite me telling them that if they cant complete the install then dont migrate. I still have a contract with my current provider until 31st dec. I did as a backup and now im paying for two providers and have internet on neither. It just all feels a little slopy and amaturish.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Re: Install Delay - Not happy

VM's documentation has nothing to do with the problem. Ducting can collapse or get blocked for many reasons. VM cannot detect an issue with underground ducting until a cable pull is attempted.

A delay of 5 days is excellent, believe me. Some councils will sit on telecoms work permit applications for 6 to 8 weeks before giving VM the go-ahead to do remedial work.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Hmig
Joining in
Message 3 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Spoke to someone's this morning.

They delay is now 6 weeks

2 weeks to get gas, water and electric plans

4 weeks for contractors to plan and do the job.

just lost for word really. I feel so let down I can even be bothered to write a long post to moan about it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 12
Flag for a moderator

All the fun of using the only provider with their own separate infrastructure. The vast majority of installs go without a hitch, but its always advisable to overlap services with your old provider (if its possible) in case of issues like this.

It is also worth saying that VM (& most other providers) have a residential service & there is no provision to prioritise faults. So if you are reliant on it for work, more expensive business services have a proper SLA for fault resolution.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
algie48
Tuning in
Message 5 of 12
Flag for a moderator

This is typical of Virgin Media...I first signed up to a contract back in the seventies when it was Tele West. Since it was taken over by Virgin I have noticed a considerable decline in customer focus.

0 Kudos
Hmig
Joining in
Message 6 of 12
Flag for a moderator

It's just a joke, they prmosied an update witin 5 working days, nothing. Apparently the hold up is the cabling contractors have said some work is needed on the carrageway but only photos of the drivr has been marked. Apparently Virgin Media's construction team are not allowed to call their cabling contractors to clarify this. It all needs to be done via email so there is a paper trail........

Asked to speak to manager, was told there are not managers available, the person I spoke to said there were on a management level (IE not a manager, most likely a suoervisor)

Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Hmig
Joining in
Message 7 of 12
Flag for a moderator

well still waiting.

5 days seems be turning to 8-10 weeks. I don't see how Virgin see that is an acceptable time frame to leave someone in limbo.

I will keep this updated.

0 Kudos
spell
Well-informed
Message 8 of 12
Flag for a moderator

nodrogd wrote:

VM's documentation has nothing to do with the problem. Ducting can collapse or get blocked for many reasons. VM cannot detect an issue with underground ducting until a cable pull is attempted.

A delay of 5 days is excellent, believe me. Some councils will sit on telecoms work permit applications for 6 to 8 weeks before giving VM the go-ahead to do remedial work.

But this misses the whole point.

VM gave an undertaking to complete an installation on a certain date.

They failed - absolutely nothing to do with local authorities etc - they were not in a position to ensure that they could fulfil their obligation.

Many customers require internet for working from home - that is often why they need it.

This performance is a disgrace and should be acknowledged by them as such.

It is up to the OP as to how this proceeds but I would have no further business with them.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Whilst I agree its a PITA theres really nothing can be done WRT its holiday season and delays are to be expected.

Theres also a substantive difference between "I need the internet to work from home- as I sell widgets on Ebay" and "I need the internet to work from home as I need to remote in and fix stuff for a hospital trust"

The former is the domain of a residential connection and its a bit inconvenient if it goes pear shaped. The latter should be a connection paid for, supplied by and maintained by the trusts supplier.  And VM residential has no place in that mix.

At least OP has the previous supplier in place and can (usually) extend the contract till VM's contractor gets back from their seasonal jollies....

0 Kudos
Hmig
Joining in
Message 10 of 12
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

Forget the reason why I need the connection. Let's just stick to the facts.

1. Contractors only surveyed the site they day before my due date.
2. Contractors paperwork to virgin media was unclear.
3. 12 for contractors to come back out and complete paperwork correctly.
4. Now confirmed that they need to extend the cable 20 meters on the carriage way and 10 meters from another CATV ground box to my drive.
5. Planning not yet submitted.

Now let's just say that is the contractors fault, here is virgins:

1. Told it would be 5 days delay late afternoon before the morning of the visit.
2. Then told it would 6-8 weeks delay.
3. Virgin refused to call their contractors to do a proper follow up, instead sent countless emails with no reply for over a 2 weeks.
4. It now apparently takes Virgin 2 weeks to get plans for gas, water and electric. So their contractors don't drill anything they aren't meant to.
5. Refused to enable virgin anywhere TV.
6. Refused to provide virgin 4G sim to provide Internet during the delay.

I was really shocked most at the customer service of the construction team they seem to have none, refused to be put through to a manager, they keep saying the same thing 6-8 weeks, they have been saying that even though over 2 weeks have already passed.

I have to take out a new contract with me existing provider. At the moment I have no connection.
0 Kudos