Menu
Sdavlaws
Joining in
Message 1 of 41
Flag for a moderator

In a virgin area, CATV grate outside house, but cant get service.

I live in a virgin area (S43) where the road at the end of the street can get service, our road has cable in it with CATV grates outside our properties but we cannot get service, there is a green cabinet halfway down our road with a NTL manhole next to it.

I have emailed cable my street and received a reply that they can't cable this area..... I filled out the spotter form, no one came out got phone call to say this area cant be connected.

Is this a common thing that streets where cabled and then the network abandoned? And are there any other phone numbers/email address i could contact to get some to have a look at the network in the road?

thanks for reading.

0 Kudos
soul1
Fibre optic
Message 2 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Re: In a virgin area, CATV grate outside house, but cant get service.

Hi Sdavlaws, one of the Virgin Forum Team should reply soon with regards to this. Hope this helps and hope you are able to get Virgin Media Services within your area at some point soon Smiley Happy
Started with Bell Cablemedia in the early 90's and now with Virgin Media. How time flies...
0 Kudos
Sdavlaws
Joining in
Message 3 of 41
Flag for a moderator

I hope so as well, 10+ years after the chaos they caused installing it it would be nice to finally use it.

and seen as BDUK isn't going to sort the exchange only lines out here till 2016 Smiley Indifferent

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 41
Flag for a moderator

I'm curious: what did they (cable my street) say besides that you cannot get connected. Did they give any specific detailed reason(s) as to why that is so?

- - - - - -
Any opinions expressed by myself are entirely my own and do not represent Virgin Media in any way.
0 Kudos
Sdavlaws
Joining in
Message 5 of 41
Flag for a moderator

that it would be prohibitively expensive to excavate between the current network and our property.

but there already is network in the street? 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sdavlaws, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. 

As much as we'd love to get you installed if Cable my street guys have advised we're unable to do so, it's not possible Smiley Sad

All we can do is refer you to them. Have you advised them that your house and street already have the cables laid? What was their reply? 

Let us know. 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos
Sdavlaws
Joining in
Message 7 of 41
Flag for a moderator

After the reply that implied that there wasn't cable in the road I sent a new enquiry detailing the locations of relevant street cabinets and the ducting that I could see that was over 8 weeks ago I have received no reply
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Incompleted build. The former company that put the ducting in ran out of money no doubt. It has happened in several areas. Until Liberty get out their cheque book & start "infilling" areas affected like this, you won't get connected.

su1718.jpgCable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile

0 Kudos
Sdavlaws
Joining in
Message 9 of 41
Flag for a moderator

I was hoping that wasn't the case and it was just very poor records with it been ntl that installed it and these areas been on the fringe of so much active network But that is what is so annoying in this area, they have spent money upgrading some of the network wile leaving other parts abandoned its even more annoying that you can walk the ducting in the road to the cabinets that would serve these properties from the active cabinets

Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 41
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sdavlaws,

Thanks for keeping us updated with this, I'm sorry to see that they're unable to cable at this time. I can appreciate how frustrating this must be for you. 

Fingers crossed this will change for you in the future. 

All the best

Emma

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos