Menu
chantalandbrian
Just joined
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

I want to leave Virgin

I've been trying to leave Virgin for a while now because I cannot understand their billing.  I am always in arrears with them.  Every month my broadband is disconnected and I have no TV, no internet and no phone line.  I have to call in every month to pay because they will not allow me to set up a direct debit because I'm always in arrears.  My contract I have cost 79 pounds however I have never paid that amount.  I have always paid anything from 100 to 120 pound per month and yet I'm always in arrears. 

Everytime I call them to pay I ask about my contract and whether I can cancel it.  Every month I am told that if I cancel, I will have to pay a fine to get out of my contract.  On February 28 when I called to pay, I was told that I can cancel with no extra cost as I am outside of my contract.  I went ahead and set up an account with another provider only to be told that I have a pay a penalty of 240 pounds.  If I refuse to pay it, I'll be handed over to the debt collectors.  What can I do?  I've done everything right.  Now this conversation was not recorded and the customer service person never recorded anything.  My word against theirs.  I am gutted that I am being treated so unfairly.  I have asked for managers but now it seems like I just want to get out of paying the penalty.  Can I be handed over to the debt collectors if I pay a minimum amount a month in order to settle this account.  I am new to this and I feel that they cannot get away with it.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: I want to leave Virgin

Unfortunately there's not much we can do on here. Even the VM Staff on here dont have access to your account. You need to discuss it with VM direct.

The only advice I can give you is that VM bills are paid ahead of time- for the month coming in- not in arrears like some other providers. So you may have missed a payment somewhere along the line that has thrown you into arrears you are constantly paying towards clearing.

Although its politically incorrect to point it out, you may well be better LETTING it go out to a debt collection agency (providing you dont want  to get into any new credit agreements soon) as that will give you the option of paying off the arrears whilst being in a new contract with a new supplier

CAB or Stepchange will be able to give you advice specific to your circumstances...

https://www.stepchange.org/

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: I want to leave Virgin

if you are out of contract then there is no penalty other than paying anything you actually owe - £240 is the maximum they can charge if you are in contract - who are you talking to it all sounds like offshore making it up as they go on

talk to retentions - they should be able to confirm if you are out of contract and sort out any final payment

as a matter of interest when did you join VM and in the time you have been with them have you altered your package

dial 150 or 0345 454 1111 and follow the prompts to - you are thinking of leaving us - dont worry about that they do much more - open 'till 8pm - 6pm on saturdays - closed sunday and the plus is its a UK call centre

Tony