Menu
indiehorse
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I think I've been sold an upgrade package I do not want

...but I might not have.

I got a sales call earlier offering me an upgrade. I could not hear the caller very clearly and said so many times.

They offered me an upgrade to 100Mb broadband and some kind of TV package for £30 per month. I repeatedly said that I was not interested in any kind of TV package. I do not watch TV. I do not have a TV set. I do not have a TV licence.

But they said that it didn't really matter because I'd be paying less per month for faster broadband than I currently am. I'm currently paying £32 for 20mb. So I agreed that I'd be happy to pay the new amount for faster broadband.

They then went on to try and sell me some kind of mobile deal. I repeatedly said I wasn't interested as I was on a contract with another provider but they kept trying to sell me it and at that point I hung up on them without being quite sure what I'd agreed to.

I have now received an email confirming that I'll be getting the broadband and tv bundle for £30 a month. What the email says that wasn't made clear over the phone was that this is an offer for 12 months and after that I will have to pay £55 per month.

After the twelve months is up will I then be able to reduce my package to a broadband only deal? By agreeing to the offer have I somehow extended my contract? I can't find anything that says when my contract ends.

I'd rather have discussed this by email but that doesn't seem to be an option. I'd rather avoid discussing it on the phone as that is how we ended up where we are.

Thanks,
James

0 Kudos

Helpful Answers
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: I think I've been sold an upgrade package I do not want

If the contract is for 18 months then you'll pay the lower price for 12 of those months then the full price for the rest, you may want to double check the contract length to see if this is the case. 

Virginia/Doctor9fan. If I have helped please give me Kudos.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I would've thought the emailed contract would've mentioned it, in any case you could phone customer services & check. You don't want to wait then discover that you'll be paying £55 pm from month 13.

Usually new customers have an 18 month contract of which 6 or 12 months have a new customer deal, after this initial contract any further recontracts are for 12 months.

All Replies
indiehorse
Joining in
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

TLDR - All I really want to know is will I be able to downgrade my account after 12 months?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If the contract is for 18 months then you'll pay the lower price for 12 of those months then the full price for the rest, you may want to double check the contract length to see if this is the case. 

0 Kudos
indiehorse
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply.

Is there an easy way for me to check my contract length? I can't find it on the website or the email they sent me.

I did not actively agree to renewing my contract for a specific amount of time.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I would've thought the emailed contract would've mentioned it, in any case you could phone customer services & check. You don't want to wait then discover that you'll be paying £55 pm from month 13.

Usually new customers have an 18 month contract of which 6 or 12 months have a new customer deal, after this initial contract any further recontracts are for 12 months.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi indiehorse,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great to have you on board with us in the Community. 

We'll need to take a look at this for you in more detail. In order to do that I will need to confirm some information with you. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Speak soon,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos