Menu
davidth2017
Just joined
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Huge Security Flaw! Complaint on its way!

Hi All,

Just wanted to make you aware of my current scenario.

I came home yesterday to discover that I had no telephone, tv or BB.

Upon ringing I was told that the person moving into my account was able to put a suspension on my account as I was moving away. Baffling as I am the only person set as the account holder.

On top of that I was told by Customer services this morning they were able to authorise a disconnection date of the 20th Feb 2017. Unbelievable this can happen really as surely as its my account and my services only I should be able to do this.

When I asked re the security questions asked I was told that there was silence on the other end of the phone which makes this worse as in essence anyone could ring Virgin Media and play dumb and get access to any account.

Apart from the last manager no-one seemed to grasp just how serious this truly is. They kept saying that my services would be reconnected within 24-48 hours. I am not so much bothered by the services, I am more bothered by how this is possible.

Eventually spoke to a manager in the customer services team who has passed this through to complaints for them to ring me within 24 hours. Should be an interesting chat!

I just wanted to give the community a heads up here as without security anyone could ring up and change absolutely anything on an account. This is very scary and I suspect not an isolated incident with Virgin.

The irony is that I was going to ring up today and put my 30 days notice in and look at early cancellation costs.

I will be so relieved to be leaving Virgin at the start of March. 

Thanks,

David

0 Kudos
LveK
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Huge Security Flaw! Complaint on its way!

Hello..

Perhaps also of interest..?

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Cable/New-Neighbour-managed-to-get-my-acco...

I thought this scenario sound familiar. I recall reading this thread some time ago, although there was not an update from the original poster.....

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Huge Security Flaw! Complaint on its way!

Hi David, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you hear even if the situation is less than pleasing Smiley Sad

Whenever someone applies for our services, if there is already an active account at that address we ask if that person is going to be moving to the address. If they select yes, or that they already live there we try and contact the existing account holder to confirm. 

If we're unable to get an answer we restrict the services to ensure that no one is using them unlawfully. 

The only person who will be able to gain access and change things on your account would be you the account holder or anyone you have told your password too. Only the account holder will be able to go through other security questions if you're unable to remember the password. 

I am sorry that your services were restricted before we were able to get in contact with you but this is a security measure we have in place to protect the customer. 

If there is anything else we can do to help, please let us know.

Thanks,

Kath_F
Forum Team

Merry Christmas & a Happy New Year

Tech fan? Have you read our Digital life blog yet? Check it out

0 Kudos