Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 42 (21,406 Views)

How to stop Virgin Media sending me physical mail?

We've received more than 20, yes 20, enveloped mailings from Virgin Media over the last year.  We are signed up for the Mailing Preference Service and yet the mailings still keep coming.  All the mailings are addressed to "The Householder" with our address.  I've spoke to customer support, who had difficulty understanding the problem (obviously very difficult to come off of their call-centre script), we have had no change in the situation.

Please help! 

It's put me off ever signing up for Virgin Media's services.

0 Kudos

Accepted Solutions
Superuser
Message 9 of 42 (31,818 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by John_G (Moderator)
‎28-08-2015 00:15

Re: How to stop Virgin Media sending me physical mail?

Gary

The MPS does not stop addressed mail sent to "The Occupier" nor does the Royal Mail's opt out scheme as they are obliged to deliver all mail that has an actual postal address.

householder

Consumer Focus has information on stopping junk mailings.

http://www.consumerfocus.org.uk/get-advice/post/post-advice/unwanted-mail

significantly

Contact the sender

Under the Data Protection Act 1998, any organisation has to stop ‘processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes’ if you directly request them to do so. This makes contacting the sender a very effective way of stopping unwanted mail. There is no legal way an organisation can refuse to take your name, address and any other personal information off its mailing list. However, your request does need to follow a number of guidelines. Simply phoning an organisation and telling them that you no longer require their advertisements can be effective, but it is not legally binding.

If you contact an organisation you need to follow a number of guidelines. The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the body responsible for enforcing the Data Protection Act, has the following guidelines for writing a notice:

• The notice needs to be in writing (this can be an email)
  • You need to make it clear that you are asking the organisation to ‘stop (or not to begin) processing your personal data for direct marketing purposes in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998′
  • Your notice needs to be dated
  • You need to give the organisation your full name and address
  • Your notice has to include a ‘reasonable date’ from which you want the organisation to stop processing your personal data (usually a period of 28 days)

To note

Asking individual organisations to stop sending unwanted mail is very time consuming, but the Data Protection Act gives you a clear right not to receive unwanted mail and the tools to enforce it.

What I would say is that this is a Help and Support forum so I would not bother advising them on here.  I have never considered this an official channel for raising complaints, it is a useful tool for dealing with technical problems but is managed by an outside company.  

However I will reiterate that VM do have a Team working on here but they deal with Technical issues only, this would be outside their scope.

You can either write to -

Complaints,

Virgin Media,

PO Box 333,

Matrix Court,

Swansea,

SA7 9ZJ

Or you could  Email the Ceo's office.  Unfortunately forum rules mean that although the ceo's address is in the public domain, I can't post it on here.  

However putting Virginmedia ceo email into a search engine will give the address you need.

Make sure that you comply with the points outlined above.  i.e you give your name and address, that the email/letter  is dated and that you give them a reasonable notice period to stop sending mail.

Make sure that you keep a copy and if the letters persist then I would contact the Information Commisioners Office fur further advice.

Ravenstar68

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

All Replies
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 42 (21,399 Views)

I get these and I am a VM customer.

I phoned CS and asked them to stop, and since then I had nothing
If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
Joining in
Message 3 of 42 (21,362 Views)

Well, I'm not a customer.  I've called twice recently, negotiated the phone menu maze, been handed over to various departments, with promises that my enquiry will be dealt with, but the mailings still keep coming. 

Virgin Media must have a specific contact for getting an address removed from their mailing lists, surely?

I'd hate to thing how wasteful they are being in other areas of business.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 42 (21,345 Views)

Hi Householder,

You can opt out of the mail list by popping your address on this site.

http://www.royalmail.com/personal/help-and-support/how-do-I-stop-receiving-any-leaflets-or-unaddress...

This should stop you receiving any more of our leaflets. 

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 5 of 42 (21,311 Views)

You miss my point.  I want Virgin, specifically, to stop sending me mail.  We are already tried subscribing to the Mail Preference Service - it made no difference because the Virgin mailings are addressed to "The Householder" followed by the postal address, Royal Mail are obligated to deliver these item.  Virgin is exploiting a loophole.  The only way to stop this kind of mail is stop all political leafleting arriving, as well.

Another A4 envelope arrived a few days ago.  We've received more than 20!!

I see no-one from Virgin is reading these forums that wishes to reply, either.  I will not be using Virgin for any service until there has been 1 year free from their mailings or I get someone to convince me that the problem has been rectified.  It really looks as if Virgin couldn't care less about this problem.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 6 of 42 (21,293 Views)

householder wrote:

You miss my point.  I want Virgin, specifically, to stop sending me mail.  We are already tried subscribing to the Mail Preference Service - it made no difference because the Virgin mailings are addressed to "The Householder" followed by the postal address, Royal Mail are obligated to deliver these item.  Virgin is exploiting a loophole.  The only way to stop this kind of mail is stop all political leafleting arriving, as well.

Another A4 envelope arrived a few days ago.  We've received more than 20!!

I see no-one from Virgin is reading these forums that wishes to reply, either.  I will not be using Virgin for any service until there has been 1 year free from their mailings or I get someone to convince me that the problem has been rectified.  It really looks as if Virgin couldn't care less about this problem.

Actually John G does work for Virgin he is part of the Virginmedia Forum Team.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 7 of 42 (21,260 Views)

So, what has John G been able to do to stop Virgin sending out unwanted direct mail addressed to "The Householder" + postal address?

Apart from suggesting a Royal Mail complete block on all direct mail, which to date has been ineffective anyway, and disenfranchises me from the political process by stopping all political and council direct mailings too?  nothing has been suggested of any use. 

People wonder why we get frustrated - it's like trying to communicate in a vacuum.  I re-state, "Virgin couldn't care less." and use this kind of forum as way of getting "social" volunteers to save them having to act.

0 Kudos
Alessandro Volta
Message 8 of 42 (21,247 Views)

It's not for John to sort out, its down to you

speak to Royal Mail
If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
Superuser
Message 9 of 42 (31,819 Views)
Helpful Answer
confirmed by John_G (Moderator)
‎28-08-2015 00:15

Gary

The MPS does not stop addressed mail sent to "The Occupier" nor does the Royal Mail's opt out scheme as they are obliged to deliver all mail that has an actual postal address.

householder

Consumer Focus has information on stopping junk mailings.

http://www.consumerfocus.org.uk/get-advice/post/post-advice/unwanted-mail

significantly

Contact the sender

Under the Data Protection Act 1998, any organisation has to stop ‘processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes’ if you directly request them to do so. This makes contacting the sender a very effective way of stopping unwanted mail. There is no legal way an organisation can refuse to take your name, address and any other personal information off its mailing list. However, your request does need to follow a number of guidelines. Simply phoning an organisation and telling them that you no longer require their advertisements can be effective, but it is not legally binding.

If you contact an organisation you need to follow a number of guidelines. The Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the body responsible for enforcing the Data Protection Act, has the following guidelines for writing a notice:

• The notice needs to be in writing (this can be an email)
  • You need to make it clear that you are asking the organisation to ‘stop (or not to begin) processing your personal data for direct marketing purposes in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998′
  • Your notice needs to be dated
  • You need to give the organisation your full name and address
  • Your notice has to include a ‘reasonable date’ from which you want the organisation to stop processing your personal data (usually a period of 28 days)

To note

Asking individual organisations to stop sending unwanted mail is very time consuming, but the Data Protection Act gives you a clear right not to receive unwanted mail and the tools to enforce it.

What I would say is that this is a Help and Support forum so I would not bother advising them on here.  I have never considered this an official channel for raising complaints, it is a useful tool for dealing with technical problems but is managed by an outside company.  

However I will reiterate that VM do have a Team working on here but they deal with Technical issues only, this would be outside their scope.

You can either write to -

Complaints,

Virgin Media,

PO Box 333,

Matrix Court,

Swansea,

SA7 9ZJ

Or you could  Email the Ceo's office.  Unfortunately forum rules mean that although the ceo's address is in the public domain, I can't post it on here.  

However putting Virginmedia ceo email into a search engine will give the address you need.

Make sure that you comply with the points outlined above.  i.e you give your name and address, that the email/letter  is dated and that you give them a reasonable notice period to stop sending mail.

Make sure that you keep a copy and if the letters persist then I would contact the Information Commisioners Office fur further advice.

Ravenstar68

Just joined
Message 10 of 42 (20,836 Views)

This does not work. I have signed up to stop receiving them and I can get up to 4 a month, it drives me insane.
0 Kudos